***STICKY? "The Final Rule" Ivory***

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Brandon.....you are okay transporting your cues anywhere within the USA.
Possession of ivory is not a crime and so your cues cannot be confiscated.
It is the offer of selling or buying that ivory that presents the criminal offense.

As far as using ivory, if you have legal ivory with supporting evidence of how
you acquired it, and you furnish that ivory to a cue-maker to use building you
a cue, that is legal since there is no transfer of ownership of the ivory. It is
owned by you and the cue-maker did not buy it since you provided it for free.

The problem is the cue-maker now inherits the nuisance and risks associated
with building a cue with ivory and selling it. It means that the cue-maker has to
document and substantiate how he acquired that ivory and that he never sold
or charged for the ivory except ofr his labor to mill and install the ivory in the cue.

A lot of cue-makers will think it's just not worth the risk and nuisance of doing that
and may be inclined to pass up that arrangement and just build the cue using other
material to substitute for ivory to avoid the potential of any problems building the cue.

CollCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In California... Also Illegal to gift, have with intent to sell, and have where previous sales have occurred.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Re-reading the information I previously quoted in this post, I'm a bit confused by it and so I've removed it.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Did I just get lucky, buying a 50 year old Gina? Seller was in Washington and I live in California. You can figure out the rest. :rolleyes:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
One More Time.......Just Read, Learn & Comply Or Get Caught.

Trying to be clever, like swapping cues, will only get you in trouble if one of the parties lives in any
state that has enacted an ivory ban. Barter is selling since ownership changes hands.....the fact that
no money is exchanged is a moot point. If you do business with anyone that lives in a state that has
enacted an ivory ban, or if you reside in one of those states, you are screwed....plain and simple.

You must transact all business, including any advertising, from the inception of the sale or any efforts
to purchase the cue right down to the finalization and acceptance of the actual cue outside the
physical geography of the states involved for both the buyer and seller if either of those two states
have any ivory restrictions enacted.......you need to just adhere to the law and stop trying to figure out
how to get around it......you can't barter, you can't gift, you can't offer for sale or offer to buy a pool cue
if it contains ivory unless the pool cue has a CITES certificate attached when either the buyer or
seller lives in one of the affected states........NUF CED.....there are no loopholes folks.......if you get
caught, don't come back on the Forum crying crocidile tears or protesting it is not right...Just own it.

Matt B.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If it is across state lines, federal laws take precedent. State laws only apply to intrastate activity.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I quoted some information earlier from a site by 'Fitz Gibbon Law,LLC'. There were some inconsistencies, so I removed it.

I'm as confused as anyone else.

Last edited:

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an Ivoryologist.
What if...
"I found this cue stick in the garbage... "