Still haven't hit a ball with a carbon fiber shaft.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Who else can say that?

Maniac (doesn't feel the need to)
I got my first a few weeks ago but haven't spent any time yet with it. If it doesn't blow me away I won't keep it. Other than a dozen guest cues, I don't hang onto more than a few players and a break cue.

Sent from the future.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doubt too many have not tried it. But it's a bit like saying "still have not driven a car other than a Ford", it's not good or bad, just a thing.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I am jonesing to try one. Seems like 2/3 of the players out here in Az have them. It doesn't look like I will be able to get one for my regular playing cue (Layani), because of the joint, but I'm willing to switch to another cue for a little while to see how the CF shafts play.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son has one and I’ve played some with it. I think if I just put one on and played with it for a couple weeks I could get used to it. Some shots do seem easier to make. Other shots seem harder to make. Maybe it’s just because I’ve played with a solid maple shaft all my life. I’m just going to stick with my wood shaft and save my cash. You would just have to try one for yourself, you might like it.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I did,
But then I needed money sold it and playing same level and better with my sneaky, me improving as a player mostly

If there are advantages I am unable to detect and analyze them so keep it simple

One cheap basic great cue that breaks as good as it plays for me

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy in my community drives a 72 Camaro. Much rust, and never more than 5 miles round trip. He had a flip phone for years until it was dropped in a toilet. He liked being seen as anachronistic.

He's 80ish. Loves his new modern cell phone.

Free lesson

JT4Annapolis

JT in FL now
I recently got the Ignite CF I feel more confident with longer shots and feels easier to power draw etc. but I lost a lot of small hit touch/feel and control. Going to re-tip it with one I am more used to but for now I go back and forth between shafts. CF on 9ft wood on barbox.

JayRack

Last two money games I was playing with wood then changed to CF during the middle and played much better so I'm making the permanent change to CF now.

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hit my first ball with a carbon shift a few days ago. First thing a asked when I give the stick back was "is the weight of this stick a 17". The stick was extremely light. He said the carbon shift was extremely light.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I've never used one. I decided after 25 years it was time for an upgrade so I got a Hsunami kielwood shaft. I like it, it's LD but it's not whippy feeling and not hard to adapt to.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Who else can say that?

Maniac (doesn't feel the need to)
I played with a CF for about half an hour....it did what it was supposed to do. But I told my friend I wouldn’t be changing. He asked why not. I asked what it did that my wood shaft doesn’t (solid wood, 12mm)...
...he thought about, he said “Durability.” I told him that my Joss was made in 1968...still straight.
Feel?...I felt my wood shaft was going to bed with someone you love....CF is a hooker.

I’m prepared to change...I come from golf...the technology is fantastic....I’m not going to think like an old timer.
....but the science of modern golf clubs is way beyond CF thinking,

Decades ago, the golf people were experimenting with long and short fibers and where to put them on the shaft.

Geosnookery

I’ve used my current snooker cue for 14 years. The one before that for almost as long.

I have no idea how somebody can pick up a cue and judge it until they have played with it for a couple of weeks. I can’t even judge a new tip until Ive used it a half dozen times.

American Pool cues are fine, I just rarely use one. I’ve hit a half dozen balls with a CF cue...no way of judging it. No idea what the tip was.

What exactly can you do on an American pool table with a CF cue that you can’t do with a wooden one? If you can’t pot a ball at 7 feet with either, then it isn’t the cue but rather poor technique.

Long lasting? I’ve never damaged a snooker cue in 52 years of playing. Do people use their cues as garden stakes or car jacks? Besides, what does durability matter when in 2 years they’ll be chasing the latest magic cue and the latest magic tip?

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got one for my three cushion cue months ago and put a few hours into it before deciding I don't like it half as much as my wood shaft. Wish I'd spent the money on something else.

I guess I CAN get used to it, but there was hardly anything magical about it.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
If anyone on this thread feels like I'm criticizing CF shaft/cues, I apologize. I have zero problems with the shafts and the technology that goes into them. What I was mostly getting at is that I've only seen a small smattering of them in the places I play and I'm not about to go up to one of these people and ask if I can hit a few balls with theirs. I would certainly welcome the chance if someone offered. I would certainly like the opportunity of trying one before I die. Like cannabis, I could never criticize it until I tried it. 🤪 Haven't used any weed in over 30 years, but in my opinion, people shouldn't make hasty criticisms of things they have no experience with.

Maniac

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still haven't used a low deflection shaft let alone a carbon fiber. I actually called Mobley to see if he made one but he never called me back. Kinda glad. I am what I am and I have what I have. I will make due.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone on this thread feels like I'm criticizing CF shaft/cues, I apologize. I have zero problems with the shafts and the technology that goes into them. What I was mostly getting at is that I've only seen a small smattering of them in the places I play and I'm not about to go up to one of these people and ask if I can hit a few balls with theirs. I would certainly welcome the chance if someone offered. I would certainly like the opportunity of trying one before I die. Like cannabis, I could never criticize it until I tried it. 🤪 Haven't used any weed in over 30 years, but in my opinion, people shouldn't make hasty criticisms of things they have no experience with.

Maniac
I never took it as you were criticizing them. I have nothing against them or new technology. I will just stick to my maple shaft. I’ve never even played with an LD shaft other than to hit a few balls with one. I would love to try a Kielwood shaft