straight rail

Texas3cushion

I see them using 3 but haven't really paid attention to what they are doing with their balls.
I would imagine the Korean version you are playing with 4 balls is a little harder to learn at first, than the French version.

Many basics with a high learning curve in french billiards while to my knowledge the Korean version has a similar yet different scoring system.

Someone correct my if I'm wrong but in the Korean version I think you get a point for hitting your opponents cue ball. So you can use it as an option for a carom.

But now that means you have more options for gather shots and it could be too much going on o think for someone starting out.

I'm not even close to an expert on the games but maybe @Bert van Manen will have an opinion.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in fact, straight rail is harder , because there are only 3 balls. probability of missing is higher than with 4 balls.
the problem of straight rail being missing... the long time on a chair ,waiting ... or how to not miss when you play on 400p....to turn and turn the corners , both hands if you like ....
what a cruel game it is.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in fact, straight rail is harder , because there are only 3 balls. probability of missing is higher than with 4 balls.
the problem of straight rail being missing... the long time on a chair ,waiting ... or how to not miss when you play on 400p....to turn and turn the corners , both hands if you like ....
what a cruel game it is.

I find the game is already frustrating when my opponent rains a few runs in the teens and twenties, and never leaves me a shot.

There is a 4 ball version of straight rail, where the 4th ball is blue. Same game: you score by hitting any 2 object balls. This is for people playing for the first time…like sometimes I see little kids playing this at the club.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would imagine the Korean version you are playing with 4 balls is a little harder to learn at first, than the French version.

Many basics with a high learning curve in french billiards while to my knowledge the Korean version has a similar yet different scoring system.

Someone correct my if I'm wrong but in the Korean version I think you get a point for hitting your opponents cue ball. So you can use it as an option for a carom.

But now that means you have more options for gather shots and it could be too much going on o think for someone starting out.

I'm not even close to an expert on the games but maybe @Bert van Manen will have an opinion.
The folks at my spot play if your CB touches opponent's, all the inning's points are forfeited AND you owe a point for FN up (but I don't think they call it that)!

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of you are absolute beginners I think, but I'll leave this here anyway. At the request of the Dutch Federation KNBB I devised a game intended for 8 - 15 year olds called Five-ball (but surpringly, it quickly gained popularity among seniors in retirement homes). Summary of the rules: the four object balls have different colors and values of 1, 2, 4 and 6 points, and any carom is valid. In the style of darts (501) you start with 51 points and need to count down and finish on exactly zero, which makes the 1 ball the essential one. Making runs is easy, so it has the instant gratification that teenagers need, but it also invites you to think tactics and improve your skills. In the Netherlands, five-ball is always played on 2.30 x 1.15 tables, which in traditional SR or balkline, has always proved to be a good stepping stone to full-size tables.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of you are absolute beginners I think, but I'll leave this here anyway. At the request of the Dutch Federation KNBB I devised a game intended for 8 - 15 year olds called Five-ball (but surpringly, it quickly gained popularity among seniors in retirement homes). Summary of the rules: the four object balls have different colors and values of 1, 2, 4 and 6 points, and any carom is valid. In the style of darts (501) you start with 51 points and need to count down and finish on exactly zero, which makes the 1 ball the essential one. Making runs is easy, so it has the instant gratification that teenagers need, but it also invites you to think tactics and improve your skills. In the Netherlands, five-ball is always played on 2.30 x 1.15 tables, which in traditional SR or balkline, has always proved to be a good stepping stone to full-size tables.
Now that's a neat idea for a game.

Reactions: bbb

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went and played billiards for a bit yesterday and played no sr, 1r or 2r... not intentionally anyway!!

haha. I did play some of all those by accident though!