straight rail

Texas3cushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see them using 3 but haven't really paid attention to what they are doing with their balls.
I would imagine the Korean version you are playing with 4 balls is a little harder to learn at first, than the French version.

Many basics with a high learning curve in french billiards while to my knowledge the Korean version has a similar yet different scoring system.

Someone correct my if I'm wrong but in the Korean version I think you get a point for hitting your opponents cue ball. So you can use it as an option for a carom.

But now that means you have more options for gather shots and it could be too much going on o think for someone starting out.

I'm not even close to an expert on the games but maybe @Bert van Manen will have an opinion.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in fact, straight rail is harder , because there are only 3 balls. probability of missing is higher than with 4 balls.
the problem of straight rail being missing... the long time on a chair ,waiting ... or how to not miss when you play on 400p....to turn and turn the corners , both hands if you like ....
what a cruel game it is.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in fact, straight rail is harder , because there are only 3 balls. probability of missing is higher than with 4 balls.
the problem of straight rail being missing... the long time on a chair ,waiting ... or how to not miss when you play on 400p....to turn and turn the corners , both hands if you like ....
what a cruel game it is.

I find the game is already frustrating when my opponent rains a few runs in the teens and twenties, and never leaves me a shot.

There is a 4 ball version of straight rail, where the 4th ball is blue. Same game: you score by hitting any 2 object balls. This is for people playing for the first time…like sometimes I see little kids playing this at the club.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would imagine the Korean version you are playing with 4 balls is a little harder to learn at first, than the French version.

Many basics with a high learning curve in french billiards while to my knowledge the Korean version has a similar yet different scoring system.

Someone correct my if I'm wrong but in the Korean version I think you get a point for hitting your opponents cue ball. So you can use it as an option for a carom.

But now that means you have more options for gather shots and it could be too much going on o think for someone starting out.

I'm not even close to an expert on the games but maybe @Bert van Manen will have an opinion.
The folks at my spot play if your CB touches opponent's, all the inning's points are forfeited AND you owe a point for FN up (but I don't think they call it that)!

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of you are absolute beginners I think, but I'll leave this here anyway. At the request of the Dutch Federation KNBB I devised a game intended for 8 - 15 year olds called Five-ball (but surpringly, it quickly gained popularity among seniors in retirement homes). Summary of the rules: the four object balls have different colors and values of 1, 2, 4 and 6 points, and any carom is valid. In the style of darts (501) you start with 51 points and need to count down and finish on exactly zero, which makes the 1 ball the essential one. Making runs is easy, so it has the instant gratification that teenagers need, but it also invites you to think tactics and improve your skills. In the Netherlands, five-ball is always played on 2.30 x 1.15 tables, which in traditional SR or balkline, has always proved to be a good stepping stone to full-size tables.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of you are absolute beginners I think, but I'll leave this here anyway. At the request of the Dutch Federation KNBB I devised a game intended for 8 - 15 year olds called Five-ball (but surpringly, it quickly gained popularity among seniors in retirement homes). Summary of the rules: the four object balls have different colors and values of 1, 2, 4 and 6 points, and any carom is valid. In the style of darts (501) you start with 51 points and need to count down and finish on exactly zero, which makes the 1 ball the essential one. Making runs is easy, so it has the instant gratification that teenagers need, but it also invites you to think tactics and improve your skills. In the Netherlands, five-ball is always played on 2.30 x 1.15 tables, which in traditional SR or balkline, has always proved to be a good stepping stone to full-size tables.
Now that's a neat idea for a game.

Reactions: bbb

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went and played billiards for a bit yesterday and played no sr, 1r or 2r... not intentionally anyway!!

haha. I did play some of all those by accident though!

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a second lesson from the friendly master last night at the club. He mentioned a resource to me that he called "une mine d'or"...a gold mine...that I thought is worth sharing with all you mofos even if you're not interested (excepting my friends @Texas Carom Club and @Texas3cushion, who are most definitely interested.)

These workbooks contain a massive set of families of points to try and practice, with detailed instructions on how to play them. They even contain some little workouts to help structure your practice.

My impression is that the experts on this site are a little "above it all," talking about straight rail is a janus head and whatnot. Nevertheless, if you know some French, or have the patience to use google translate when necessary, this set of workbooks is indeed a gold mine.

Best wishes to all,

Lou

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I had a second lesson from the friendly master last night at the club. He mentioned a resource to me that he called "une mine d'or"...a gold mine...that I thought is worth sharing with all you mofos even if you're not interested (excepting my friends @Texas Carom Club and @Texas3cushion, who are most definitely interested.)

These workbooks contain a massive set of families of points to try and practice, with detailed instructions on how to play them. They even contain some little workouts to help structure your practice.

My impression is that the experts on this site are a little "above it all," talking about straight rail is a janus head and whatnot. Nevertheless, if you know some French, or have the patience to use google translate when necessary, this set of workbooks is indeed a gold mine.

Best wishes to all,

Lou
Have you bought Xavier gretillats book?
I would consider it a top resource on all things small game related
700 pages long a lifes work of resource material from a multiple european champion

It is now In several languages including French Spanish and English

I bought the French one many years ago and was able to learn from it some but really need to get me a English version now that you bring up the topic

Flowpaper-LIVRE-ANGLAIS_Page_333.jpg

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you bought Xavier gretillats book?
I would consider it a top resource on all things small game related
700 pages long a lifes work of resource material from a multiple european champion

It is now In several languages including French Spanish and English

I bought the French one many years ago and was able to learn from it some but really need to get me a English version now that you bring up the topic

Flowpaper-LIVRE-ANGLAIS_Page_333.jpg
I have not purchased anything from Gretillat, but I have been told that I should by innumerable credible people...including Eric (spelling correction: ) Chossande (my friendly clubmate who I was referring to as my teacher who is a master level player...second only to Fabio Vendittelli), Patrick Silence (another expert player at the CCA), and Ryan Stone from Dayton Ohio who averages 1-1.2 at 3 cushion if my memory is correct...sorry for knocking your action, Ryan. As I said, these are not all the credible players who have recommended that I purchase Xavier's material, which is offered at an extremely reasonable price.

However, in the meantime, I will try to exhaust the free resources offered by the FFB.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I have not purchased anything from Gretillat, but I have been told that I should by innumerable credible people...including Eric Chaussond (my friendly clubmate who I was referring to as my teacher who is a master level player...second only to Fabio Vendittelli), Patrick Silence (another expert player at the CCA), and Ryan Stone from Dayton Ohio who averages 1-1.2 at 3 cushion if my memory is correct...sorry for knocking your action, Ryan. As I said, these are not all the credible players who have recommended that I purchase Xavier's material, which is offered at an extremely reasonable price.

However, in the meantime, I will try to exhaust the free resources offered by the FFB.
But I am a credible reference honcho

Reactions: bbb

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course, both " learning courses" are great , excellent ressources.

just for the record, the FFB's "Cahier Techniques" was written by the French Billard Federation, and are the primary Method/support of the FFB instructors , the goal being to help to reach a decent level & average in the shorter time possible , and finally by using the "Billard d'Or, billard d'argent and Billard d'or" exams as goal . A help to go from beginer to average player : to reach 3-5 minimal general average (and more) playing to a regular distance (games on 100 & more) requires method.

You see Billiard University (BU) ? "Billard d'Or, billard d'argent and Billard d'or" are built on the same spirit, accurate goals, not so easy , and evaluable. You'll see if you try them especially on a 10', and you'll understand by yourself , that's not so easy ....

Last edited:

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Merci, Pierre, for the clarification.

Is it possible to purchase a Doctorate of Billiards diploma, like you can at the billiard university? lol

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Merci, Pierre, for the clarification.

Is it possible to purchase a Doctorate of Billiards diploma, like you can at the billiard university? lol
hehe nope, pal, you can't purchase such kind of diploma at the FFB , all you need is efforts , free time to train, and hop , you'll obtain your diplomas for free ! even the FFB instructor courses (CFA, DFI & co) are free ! (Thanks for that to Jean-Paul S. , the FFB president , and the to the FFB staff)

Last edited: