Strong opinion: Dress Codes Needed

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
And it is on
In Matchroom events, there is a dress code, in world championship too, china open too
Tournament that someone stream from pool room with the cellphone isn't a pro event only because someone streaming it and there are some good players in the bracket
But it doesn't need to a be Matchroom produced event to be considered "pro" either.

People either care about the image of the game or they don't. Doesn't matter if you agree that introducing a dress code in large events will "fix pool". We all know it won't. However it's an tiny little step that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings in the right direction.

Arguing against it is just self serving nonsense

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
However, when there is a long race event between two of the top players in the world, there should be a dress code enforced. Dennis showing up in sweat pants with a hat on sideways is not the image "pro" pool should accept. Besides, it shouldn't matter what the field is. If it is being broadcast to an audience, the players should be subject to a dress code. Again, if you don't want to adhere, you don't have to play.
Now that long race match against SVB is a good example of something different imo....

I think in that situation it would/should be up to either the producer of the stream and/or the sponsors of the players to determine dress. I mean if a player wants to be presentable, all the power to him. However, if Dennis's sponsor requested that he wear that 12yr old's hat then you have a situation wherein Dennis is just doing what he's told. If the stream producer had a problem with it (imagine that world..lol) then he'd have to take it up with Dennis's sponsor.

Just throwing hypotheticals out there. I don't think challenge matches such as Dennis/SVB should be necessarily linked to pro tournaments.

But it doesn't need to a be Matchroom produced event to be considered "pro" either.

People either care about the image of the game or they don't. Doesn't matter if you agree that introducing a dress code in large events will "fix pool". We all know it won't. However it's an tiny little step that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings in the right direction.

Arguing against it is just self serving nonsense

and what's wrong with pool, that it needs to be fixed?
I agree there can always be something better, but there is like 10 times more players in the world than 30 years ago, the game is getting global
I think that the USA has a problem with pool, because other countries dominated it

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that long race match against SVB is a good example of something different imo....

I think in that situation it would/should be up to either the producer of the stream and/or the sponsors of the players to determine dress. I mean if a player wants to be presentable, all the power to him. However, if Dennis's sponsor requested that he wear that 12yr old's hat then you have a situation wherein Dennis is just doing what he's told. If the stream producer had a problem with it (imagine that world..lol) then he'd have to take it up with Dennis's sponsor.

Just throwing hypotheticals out there. I don't think challenge matches such as Dennis/SVB should be necessarily linked to pro tournaments.
There are other ways to promote a sponsor besides looking like a DJ at a rave. Professional players should 100% look professional when being broadcast, tournament or otherwise. IMO, if it is a challenge match, the person/company broadcasting it should determine the dress code and stand their ground.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
There are other ways to promote a sponsor besides looking like a DJ at a rave. Professional players should 100% look professional when being broadcast, tournament or otherwise. IMO, if it is a challenge match, the person/company broadcasting it should determine the dress code and stand their ground.
Oh I fully agree with you. Just saying that players are a slave to the brands they represent. ...or should be at least. If the Rasson tells SVB that they need him to start posting FB practice vids on their new candycane striped table for the Xmas season, SVB has a hard choice to make...lol

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If NASCAR can pull it off, pool should be able to too.

NASCAR is a business, has sponsors, fans, plus driver get paid well, so does support staff.

Pool player itch about money, tournament promoter stiffing, league ops taking there money, giving trophies.

But they the Pool player continue to be abused.

Makes no sense.

Nothing... thanks for the insight
As I said, there's always something that could be better, but it's going the right way outside of America
In almost every country in Europe, there are a bunch of players under 25 years old who play great, and 20 years ago you couldn't find a decent pool hall in most of these countries

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Pro pool can too but no one takes it seriously in the US.

NASCAR, MLB, NBA, NFL, etc have on body over the sport. Pool has many big fish, each with little pond they want to protect, they care not about the sport, only their cash flow.

Players show at Tournment, were purses get pulled or reduction at last minute. Then the Players stay, instead of moving on, so they are like the person who say screw me again and again.

Recall a big Pro Event in PHX years back I predicted would be like train wreck, people chastised me for my free speech. Winners & TD got rubber check, wonderful. Scantioning group said not our problem.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro pool can too but no one takes it seriously in the US.
Hard disagree. There is nothing about pool nearly as exciting as NASCAR. And I don't like NASAR at all.

And that's pretty lame to say that no one in the US takes it seriously. Plenty of people take it seriously.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Obviously for a televised event you’re going to have fairly conservative standards. But to start expecting everyone everywhere to conform to a universal standard is kind of stodgy.
I had to look up the defintion of 'stodgy'. I don't common attire is forcing anyone to be dull or uninspired. In fact it opens the door for some entertain 'stretching of the rules'.

We're not talking something akin to Wimbledon's 'all whites' dress code here. IMO, slacks / golf shirt, and let the finer details land as they will.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Hard disagree. There is nothing about pool nearly as exciting as NASCAR. And I don't like NASAR at all.

And that's pretty lame to say that no one in the US takes it seriously. Plenty of people take it seriously.

Well if you wanted to start a World League of Horseshoe tossing, I personally would study business model of some sucessful sport.

No Pool.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you wanted to start a World League of Horseshoe tossing, I personally would study business model of some sucessful sport.

No Pool.
Great. And it would fail, because it's boring. Everyone talks about cornhole tournaments being on TV and not pool. Give it a few years, it'll go away too once the novelty has worn off.

I LOVE PLAYING POOL, but it's not entertaining to most people to watch (regardless of what the players are wearing).

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's not lame at all. It's reality.

If the people that mattered took it seriously there would be a legitimate sanctioning body in the US with a legitimate tour with legitimate sponsorship with prize funds in the millions.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a lot of Pool Players are free spirits who do not understand the idea that people make first impression on appearence. <snip>

Pool players, and low life promotors are the sports biggest threat.
If what you stated is actually true, there is no hope for professional pool........

If NASCAR can pull it off, pool should be able to too.
NASCAR is dying a slow and painful death.........you really should point to a better example for pool to follow.........

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not enough to change the course apparently.
I think they just realize that changing the course isn't worth the effort. I agree there is no harm in dressing a little nicer, but if "taking it seriously" means any kind of actual investment, it's certainly not worth it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Great. And it would fail, because it's boring. Everyone talks about cornhole tournaments being on TV and not pool. Give it a few years, it'll go away too once the novelty has worn off.

I LOVE PLAYING POOL, but it's not entertaining to most people to watch (regardless of what the players are wearing).

NASCAR will go away also people said, but they were wrong.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not lame at all. It's reality.

If the people that mattered took it seriously there would be a legitimate sanctioning body in the US with a legitimate tour with legitimate sponsorship with prize funds in the millions.
Just because everyone doesn't agree, doesn't mean that "no one" takes it seriously. Put your own money into growing pool, see how well that works.