Strong opinion: Dress Codes Needed

KS25-06

Where I come from in SW Ks. most all of us dress in what most would call casual attire. Jeans, T-shirts, etc. I generally wear a tee shirt that is nice with the NRA logo because I am a Benefactor member. It is not tucked in. If I had to play in a tournament I would tuck it in. I think a collared shirt is BS. I wear a hat because it helps cut the glare of the table lights off my glasses. Black Levis and a pair of Rios Mercedes boots. IF that is good enough for funerals and weddings it should pass for a pool tournament. Oh, I do take off the hat in church.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are plenty of different ways to market billiards.

Look what The Ultimate Fighter did for the UFC as a whole. One issue is that the UFC is just a part of the combat sports industry. Maybe sticking a bunch of APA teams in a house, ratcheting up the drama and playing for big bucks is an avenue for growth in the industry.
All these MMA training centers certainly have profited off the growth the UFC/The Ultimate Fighter. Pool could do the same.
you forgot the river of alcohol supplied to the fighters. The UFC needed a spectacle, and they got it. forever changed the sport. Billy gets tipsy and shoves someone and there is gnashing of teeth and clutching of pearls all over azb

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had to look up the defintion of 'stodgy'. I don't common attire is forcing anyone to be dull or uninspired. In fact it opens the door for some entertain 'stretching of the rules'.

We're not talking something akin to Wimbledon's 'all whites' dress code here. IMO, slacks / golf shirt, and let the finer details land as they will.

I think slacks and a polo are dorky. Trying to force everyone in a tournament to dress like a dork stodgy to me. I get it if we are talking a Matchroom event that’s destined for TV. And I get it if you’re a sponsored athlete. But it’s weird to say I couldn’t show up to a regional classic held at some economy hotel conference room and be dressed in my favorite t-shirt and jeans.

I like walking into the tournament room and seeing people from all walks of life competing together. CEOs in dress attire next to bikers in leathers next to just some dude. I don’t see the need to make them all conform to the the typical attire of one walk of life.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
But it’s weird to say I couldn’t show up to a regional classic held at some economy hotel conference room and be dressed in my favorite t-shirt and jeans.
Well the veil has been raised for me and I now know that NA pool is perfectly fine the way it's going. That being said, I think you're right.

I would just say that for me, if there was an opportunity to play in a major event and I could end up on a stream/TV. I'd want to put my best foot forward. If that's jeans and tee for you..., right on.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the veil has been raised for me and I now know that NA pool is perfectly fine the way it's going. That being said, I think you're right.

I would just say that for me, if there was an opportunity to play in a major event and I could end up on a stream/TV. I'd want to put my best foot forward. If that's jeans and tee for you..., right on.
I think you and I are pretty much on the same page. I play in any "pro" tournament I can. I always dress nicely for those, even wear my fancy shoes! :D

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am tired of seeing black T shirts at pool events or shirts with inane comments such as "pool players do it with balls". Some folks don't know how dirty and dumb they look.

Do you guys think that pool has huge potential but no one can see it?
Investors and sponsors don't give their money because they like it but because it pays off

If the pool is on TV, someone would watch it for sure, but is it profitable?
Probably not, because no one wants to invest

you guys compare pool with NASCAR and cornhole
That doesn't have a big audience too, but if it's on TV, it's paying off

The car industry financing NASCAR because they want to show their technology on TV

Someone invest to put cornhole on TV, probably they calculated how it will pay off
Probably more people who see cornhole would buy a set for their backyard, than others that see pool will buy a table
When the market is saturated, it will probably no longer be on TV

It's not about how is someone dressed it's all about profitability

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you guys think that pool has huge potential but no one can see it?
Investors and sponsors don't give their money because they like it but because it pays off

If the pool is on TV, someone would watch it for sure, but is it profitable?
Probably not, because no one wants to invest

you guys compare pool with NASCAR and cornhole
That doesn't have a big audience too, but if it's on TV, it's paying off

The car industry financing NASCAR because they want to show their technology on TV

Someone invest to put cornhole on TV, probably they calculated how it will pay off
Probably more people who see cornhole would buy a set for their backyard, than others that see pool will buy a table
When the market is saturated, it will probably no longer be on TV

It's not about how is someone dressed it's all about profitability
Have you watched a cornhole event? The players aren't dressed like they are at some backyard BBQ. They look professional. Someone thinks the "look" is certainly important.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Comparing a televised championship to a livestream action match is a bit apples to oranges. It’s funny how we have to drag our analogies out to extremes to make our points. When was the last time you saw 2 guys in beach shorts, wife-beaters and flip flops arguing about a rack? Was that the World Pool Championship? Or was that more like someone streamed the Andy Mercer Classic on Facebook?

I'll tell you this, the next time I see a snooker stream with 2 guys in beach shorts, wife-beaters and flip flops arguing about the rack will be the first time I see this. And the same goes for 3C. Maybe if the pool players being streamed grew up and started dressing and acting like professionals they too could end up playing in televised championships.

Unfortunately there are too many out there and in this thread who defend pool players dressing like bums and acting like thugs.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you guys mean that average players in snooker rooms are dressed in suits or white shirts?
In an average snooker room, there's also rock music, a lot of beer and smoke, everyone is dressed how they want

Someone took 20-50-100 players, give them rules of conduct, pay them well, put it on tv, and sell a story that's a sport played only by a gentleman

In pool, there is no pro tour, players don't sign contracts, everyone who pays can play, and the event depends on those who pay
So If I pay the gas, hotel, and entry fee and someone tells me, but you need to dress like that, I wouldn't play that tournament
In the Matchroom events where everyone signs the contract and gets paid, they are dressed ok.
Pool won't grow by catering to pool player mentality, which mostly sucks. To grow, pool needs to appeal to a non-pool playing audience.

Pool won't grow by catering to pool player mentality, which mostly sucks. To grow, pool needs to appeal to a non-pool playing audience.

Did you see my other posts?
Pool was growing constantly last 20 years before the pandemic
Popularity is declining only in the USA
Maybe non-pool playing audience don't want to watch how Estonians, Greeks, Albanians, and other countries with a population smaller than some cities in the USA beat the shit out of Americans in their own game