Strong opinion: Dress Codes Needed

Do you guys mean that average players in snooker rooms are dressed in suits or white shirts?
In an average snooker room, there's also rock music, a lot of beer and smoke, everyone is dressed how they want

Someone took 20-50-100 players, give them rules of conduct, pay them well, put it on tv, and sell a story that's a sport played only by a gentleman

In pool, there is no pro tour, players don't sign contracts, everyone who pays can play, and the event depends on those who pay
So If I pay the gas, hotel, and entry fee and someone tells me, but you need to dress like that, I wouldn't play that tournament
In the Matchroom events where everyone signs the contract and gets paid, they are dressed ok.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
What is it about pulling a ratty T shirt over your head that people find so much more satisfying, spiritually liberating and pleasurable compared to instead reaching for a basic polo shirt?

Is it just some resistence to any hint of being told what to do? Was there some childhood trauma, maybe an abrupt end to breast feeding, or mom had too many boyfriends trying to be your stepdad?

Seriously, what is the appeal of dressing like a slob?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
So If I pay the gas, hotel, and entry fee and someone tells me, but you need to dress like that, I wouldn't play that tournament
Define 'that'....

I understand the idea that a decent set of clothes may not be an expense that some are willing to pay. What does a pair a pants and a golf shirt cost? What does your cue cost?

I read through your list of expenses, and the only item that reusable is the clothing. Gas, hotel, entry are all money spent without further gains. The set of clothes (if you even need to buy them) is something you can reuse indefinitely. Not playing a tournament you'd otherwise be willing to endure all the expense of playing in just because they want you to wear a nice shirt is flat out sad.

Quick poll...: How many dress code naysayers own cues with ornate designs...?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Is it just some resistence to any hint of being told what to do? Was there some childhood trauma, maybe an abrupt end to breast feeding, or mom had too many boyfriends trying to be your stepdad?

Exactly... amazing

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Define 'that'....

I understand the idea that a decent set of clothes may not be an expense that some are willing to pay. What does a pair a pants and a golf shirt cost? What does your cue cost?

I read through your list of expenses, and the only item that reusable is the clothing. Gas, hotel, entry are all money spent without further gains. The set of clothes (if you even need to buy them) is something you can reuse indefinitely. Not playing a tournament you'd otherwise be willing to endure all the expense of playing in just because they want you to wear a nice shirt is flat out sad.

Well said. Someone complaining about wearing a polo shirt, which may cost $25-$40, but yet be playing with a $500 shaft. SMH

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
A fan is a fan, which cue sports has few of here in the US.

Extremely few people want to watch a race to 100. I'll grant you that there are some that are interested but even the ones that I know just check in on those matches to see how they're going. No one watches them. You need people watching that don't know what "pattern play" is if you want viewers, sponsorship and big money.

Cue sports in the US can keep doing what its doing and it'll continue to die a slow death.

Its because they market the tournaments wrong.

World class pro tournaments are basically all day demonstrations of high level pool.

Marketing pool as a tournament hasn't gone well. Emily Frazer completely understands how market tastes have changed.

Instead of saying what kind of people are needed in the seats, I think current promoters are trying to make a "broken toaster work."

As for attracting sponsorship, promoters have to show they can attract today's fans. They don't want to a see a 60 something crowd, which will be gone in a few years. Young faces always attract sponsorship.

The main highlight of the billiard industry is being multi-generational and culturally inclusive across a wide range.

If you told 20 me that I would be visiting pool tournaments to babysit a bunch of aging pool players, it sounds crazy.
But if you explained it like these are the best people to learn from, they have experience and thats the best time to hang out with them, then I'd wouldnt think twice.

Explaining it as if this is where you go to watch a master artist paint the Sistine Chapel in 8 strokes.

Cuedup

There are plenty of different ways to market billiards.

Look what The Ultimate Fighter did for the UFC as a whole. One issue is that the UFC is just a part of the combat sports industry. Maybe sticking a bunch of APA teams in a house, ratcheting up the drama and playing for big bucks is an avenue for growth in the industry.
All these MMA training centers certainly have profited off the growth the UFC/The Ultimate Fighter. Pool could do the same.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Maybe sticking a bunch of APA teams in a house, ratcheting up the drama and playing for big bucks is an avenue for growth in the industry.
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I ran through the whole season of "The Ultimate Cueist" through my mind already...lol

Screw the APA, (although it would need their production money), but instead the likes of Earl, Double J, Shaw, Alex, ...etc

Mini trick shot challenges for weekly immunity, and sudden death short race elimination every week.

I think it would be epic...lol

justnum

Silver Member
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I ran through the whole season of "The Ultimate Cueist" through my mind already...lol

Screw the APA, (although it would need their production money), but instead the likes of Earl, Double J, Shaw, Alex, ...etc

Mini trick shot challenges for weekly immunity, and sudden death short race elimination every week.

I think it would be epic...lol

When I read it I thought about, players wanting to move in with their wives and kids.

The family drama can be played up, so its not a copycat of TUF

Is Joshua a good young husband or does he have an eye that wanders?

How has Billy's relationship with different sexual orientation people going?

Is Tyler upset about not getting picked at Mosconi? Is his marriage a visa scam?

Does Albin and Fedor know how to pick up women?

Cuedup

Following the UFC model, you could have players competing to make it to the finals, captained by a couple of top players for a final match between the teams.

justnum

Silver Member
meeting costume design artist
creatives like to meet other community leaders

if you have interest approach the artist and discuss how to make your league or tournament outfit become iconic.

if you have done designs do not show them the work. try to just talk about the art direction and feeling you are going for.

5B16ADA0-F583-4BF9-9F40-791D7AB0D6D3.jpg

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I think a lot of Pool Players are free spirits who do not understand the idea that people make first impression on appearence. If say AZHousePro was pitching a group of businessmen, for supporting a major Tournment. It would be tought to go to most Pool room, and say & point to a group of pool players. This is the people you will be sponsoring.

Most business men would realize there "pool player' we're just a bunch of people they would not want to be associated with. Maybe think we're do the shop goodwill?

Dress Code a big deal, when places like resturants, bars, and even nite clubs have dress codes. Comply or do not come. Maybe they are target the people they do not want in their establishments, bumbs, druggies, and trouble makers, etc.

Pool players, and low life promotors are the sports biggest threat. I am sure if Pool was an Olympic sport, people who be held to standards. IOC thing.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is it about pulling a ratty T shirt over your head that people find so much more satisfying, spiritually liberating and pleasurable compared to instead reaching for a basic polo shirt?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I think it varies across multiple factors ranging from culture, ethnicity, profession, social-economic status, profession, etc.

Not a lot of polos available with your favorite band available as a logo. Some people find polos to be nice business-safe attire and some people find it dorky as hell.

Obviously for a televised event you’re going to have fairly conservative standards. But to start expecting everyone everywhere to conform to a universal standard is kind of stodgy.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a lot of Pool Players are free spirits who do not understand the idea that people make first impression on appearence. If say AZHousePro was pitching a group of businessmen, for supporting a major Tournment. It would be tought to go to most Pool room, and say & point to a group of pool players. This is the people you will be sponsoring.

Most business men would realize there "pool player' we're just a bunch of people they would not want to be associated with. Maybe think we're do the shop goodwill?

Dress Code a big deal, when places like resturants, bars, and even nite clubs have dress codes. Comply or do not come. Maybe they are target the people they do not want in their establishments, bumbs, druggies, and trouble makers, etc.

Pool players, and low life promotors are the sports biggest threat. I am sure if Pool was an Olympic sport, people who be held to standards. IOC thing.
If NASCAR can pull it off, pool should be able to too.

Define 'that'....

It's not about expenses it's about that I am a customer (not literally me, players in a pool hall), and I don't want to dress like I am going to job.
In the pro tour, players are employed, in an open tournament players are customers.

When I was co-owner of the pool hall, I always wanted people to have a good time, relax, play, have some drink, and feel at home, not to make the rules, and throw people out because they are not in the suit, that wouldn't be good for business for sure.

Some people identify sweatsuit, shorts or sneakers as bad hygiene, I don't know why

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But to start expecting everyone everywhere to conform to a universal standard is kind of stodgy.
Why? It should be considered a "rule". In tournaments that require you to break in the box, you don't see players bucking the rule because they like to break from the rail. Same with a dress code. Conform to the rule, or don't play.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not about expenses it's about that I am a customer (not literally me, players in a pool hall), and I don't want to dress like I am going to job.
In the pro tour, players are employed, in an open tournament players are customers.

When I was co-owner of the pool hall, I always wanted people to have a good time, relax, play, have some drink, and feel at home, not to make the rules, and throw people out because they are not in the suit, that wouldn't be good for business for sure.

Some people identify sweatsuit, shorts or sneakers as bad hygiene, I don't know why
I think you are missing the point. We are not saying implement a dress code in pool rooms, we are saying a dress code needs to be implemented for televised/streamed events in the hopes of promoting/producing a professional image.

I think you are missing the point. We are not saying implement a dress code in pool rooms, we are saying a dress code needs to be implemented for televised/streamed events in the hopes of promoting/producing a professional image.
And it is on
In Matchroom events, there is a dress code, in world championship too, china open too
Tournament that someone stream from pool room with the cellphone isn't a pro event only because someone streaming it and there are some good players in the bracket

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And it is on
In Matchroom events, there is a dress code, in world championship too, china open too
Tournament that someone stream with cellphone isn't a pro event only because someone streaming it and there are some good players in the bracket
However, when there is a long race event between two of the top players in the world, there should be a dress code enforced. Dennis showing up in sweat pants with a hat on sideways is not the image "pro" pool should accept. Besides, it shouldn't matter what the field is. If it is being broadcast to an audience, the players should be subject to a dress code. Again, if you don't want to adhere, you don't have to play.