Strong opinion: Dress Codes Needed

DryFlyTrout

To me, this seems as silly as banning cues with points or inlays and forcing players to use plain maple only. Does it really matter if someone prefers to play in something comfortable instead of a tuxedo?
At the end of the day, I think it comes down to this, if tournament organizers want less players entering their events, institute a dress code.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I honestly don't think well-dressed players will do anything to make pool less boring to watch.
You're right... but maybe less shameful to watch...? As a player who lives vicariously through the pros I see online. It pains me to see "pros" represent the game the way some do. You wanna be taken seriously...?.., then take yourself seriously

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're right... but maybe less shameful to watch...? As a player who lives vicariously through the pros I see online. It pains me to see "pros" represent the game the way some do. You wanna be taken seriously...?.., then take yourself seriously
I think that should go for everything we do in life. I also think people on streams should dress better, but I think it's a bit silly to think that'll drive up viewership numbers.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Does it really matter if someone prefers to play in something comfortable instead of a tuxedo?
Not if don't care about how people perceive the game.
At the end of the day, I think it comes down to this, if tournament organizers want less players entering their events, institute a dress code.
..and there's the rub. Minority trying to lead the many. However, imagine how quickly the players would perform an about-face on playing attire if all major events instituted a dress code...lol.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I think that should go for everything we do in life. I also think people on streams should dress better, but I think it's a bit silly to think that'll drive up viewership numbers.
In a direct manner...?..., most certainly not. It may drive down the dumb threads discussing this on ABZ though. That in itself is a win...lol

DryFlyTrout

Not if don't care about how people preceive the game.

..and there's the rub. Minority trying to lead the many. However, imagine how quickly the players would perform an about-face on playing attire if all major events instituted a dress code...lol.
Perception of the game is hurt more by guys gambling until 4am at bars more than someone wearing a hat or T-shirt at a tournament.
I don't play major events. The reality is I'll never be good enough to play them. So my opinion is geared toward the low level events I do play. That said, if a dress code was put in place, I'd find something else to occupy my time.

DieselPete

In a direct manner...?..., most certainly not. It may drive down the dumb threads discussing this on ABZ though. That in itself is a win...lol

Far, far dumber than this thread is a person investing their time into opening, reading, and posting in it when the thread title makes it clear what it is about, if that person has already deemed the topic to be dumb.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Perception of the game is hurt more by guys gambling until 4am at bars more than someone wearing a hat or T-shirt at a tournament.
I'd say your wrong. Maybe if that gambing match was live streamed and one accosted the other, then ya.
I don't play major events. The reality is I'll never be good enough to play them. So my opinion is geared toward the low level events I do play. That said, if a dress code was put in place, I'd find something else to occupy my time.
If putting on tasteful clothes that are clean and don't have holes in them means you'd stop playing the game, then your attendance probably isn't much of a loss. I'm not trying to be a dick but come on man... You're obviously only engaged enough to join a forum on pool and don't give a crap about the game.

This isn't about forcing pros to wear a vest and tie (although other compariables do with success). It's about new viewers not instantly being taken aback by what appears to be players who panhandled their entry fee by washing windshields moments before the tournament began.

The Dennis example is a great one because he is perceived as one of the strongest players in the world. The fact that his appearance doesn't seem to matter too much to him is a shame. Now I say that, but maybe his sponsors want that look from him...? Regardless..., these players know the match is going to be streamed, and that means world wide exposure. Why the first thing after making sure they have their equipment in order isn't what they'll be wearing is beyond me.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Far, far dumber than this thread is a person investing their time into opening, reading, and posting in it when the thread title makes it clear what it is about, if that person has already deemed the topic to be dumb.
lol... I'm bored...

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think pool has much bigger problems than perception. I think the biggest issues are with interest in playing (competing with modern entertainment options), limited access to tables, the environment of playing, sharks crushing minnows, etc. At this point it’s a thing so intertwined with alcohol consumption and frequenting bars that interest in it drops as people mature away from those scenes. Juniors usually only get exposure from existing enthusiast parents with home tables or parents pushing them into venues that’ll let kids in.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But you already watch and don't care...we get it, so they have no incentive to worry about your low standards. The idea here is to grow the sport, even including viewers and spectators who may not even play pool.

It takes a few hundred dollars (per season) and next to zero extra effort to dress in a way that makes for a better looking product.

It's not vanity. I find that to be a bit of a ridiculous assessment of the issue. Try professionalisn, self respect, awareness of the fact that you are producing a product when you broadcast an event.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah it's vanity. Pro sports is a comedy of errors and pool is way not an exception. Guys in tuxes putting on a dog show is not my idea of entertainment.

L.S. Dennis

Seems like it shouldn’t be that hard to find a ’happy medium’ with regard to dress code. Obviously tuxedos worn by pool players were a joke, the old lipstick on a pigs thing comes to mind. But being dressing slovenly doesn’t cut it either.
The golf players dress is the one that makes the most sense, slacks, golf shirt with a collar, and comfortable dress shoes shouldn’t be too much to ask at tournament venues.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
In my local pool community streamed tournaments with dress codes isn't uncommon.

Here is the stream playoffs from Megabucks amateur league. Megabucks was a popular amateur league, none of the players have an issue with dress code. Many wanted to compete in a world class tournament conditions.

The three cushion guys always dress up for their streamed events.

When I helped with the tournament directors, I suggested a Day 2 dress code for streamed matches. Usually those coming back on Day 2 are in the money round. For those coming back on the one-loss side, notify that they should be prepare to be dress code compliant if they want their match to be on the TV table.

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These threads pop up fairly regularly, along with the "cut out gambling" to improve the perception, or pool players "shouldn't
drink and play pool", if they want to be taken serious. Why? Why does it matter what a pro pool player wears and why does it bother us so much? Most on here are not, nor will we ever be, professional pool players, why does it matter to us? Obviously the pros themselves aren't losing sleep over it. Appleton had a recent tour start up...was there a dress code? If so, was it a contributing factor to the success of the events?

Most pool nuts I know would watch SVB and Orcullo battle in pink tutus if that's what they showed up in. So when folks say they want to improve pool's image, or increase visibility and perception, I ask "Why?" and for "Whom?" If the pros aren't too worried about it, and it does not affect our (casual players) livelihood, then what does it matter, other than simply personal preference?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Yeah it's vanity. Pro sports is a comedy of errors and pool is way not an exception. Guys in tuxes putting on a dog show is not my idea of entertainment.

And yet here you are on a pool forum not only reading the posts but also replying to them.
A dress code may not bring in extra viewership but it certainly will not put any potentially new viewership off. In this day with C19 and people not attending social events in numbers like the past it seems to me there is more importance on streamed matches. A person who is interested in pool browsing the interweb for entertainment may not waste 2 minutes of their time if the contestants look like they just rolled out of bed and didnt have time to put on clean clothes. I just dont see a problem with some minimum of dress attire, even dark jeans, clean athletic shoes, and a shirt with a collar would be an improvement and also something most people have.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
These threads pop up fairly regularly, along with the "cut out gambling" to improve the perception, or pool players "shouldn't
drink and play pool", if they want to be taken serious. Why? Why does it matter what a pro pool player wears and why does it bother us so much? Most on here are not, nor will we ever be, professional pool players, why does it matter to us? Obviously the pros themselves aren't losing sleep over it. Appleton had a recent tour start up...was there a dress code? If so, was it a contributing factor to the success of the events?

Most pool nuts I know would watch SVB and Orcullo battle in pink tutus if that's what they showed up in. So when folks say they want to improve pool's image, or increase visibility and perception, I ask "Why?" and for "Whom?" If the pros aren't too worried about it, and it does not affect our (casual players) livelihood, then what does it matter, other than simply personal preference?
Nice post...

Here's why, (at least for me) and it's self serving.

I'm tired of the 'Oh' look when people find out I'm a pool player. There's this negative perception of the game from prior years of all the garbage we're all aware of. Those who have next to or completely no exposure to the game simply default to the worst. So my take on it is this. What can we do to improve the image of the game...? Raise that 'worst' bar just a little. What's the low hanging, easy to knock off items we can do to make something think that maybe this game isn't all that bad...?

To me, the easiest is dress. This really shouldn't be a problem. Anyone worth their ass who likes to play in nearly any level of tournament shouldn't have a problem with putting on some decent clothes. To the extreme which is the professional level. These guys, (gals don't seem to be problem) should be expected to dress like professionals but also act as them.

The problem is the whole backyard streaming trend. It's not fair to expect people that excel at pool to also always be wearing 'professional attire' 24/7. You gotta be realistic. That said, as a high level banger, when I travel for work (which does not require nice dress) I always pack a decent pair of pants and black golf shirt, just in the off chance I find a game. I don't seem to have a hard time being prepared, and I don't even do it for a living...lol.

Why...? Why not...?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And yet here you are on a pool forum not only reading the posts but also replying to them.
A dress code may not bring in extra viewership but it certainly will not put any potentially new viewership off. In this day with C19 and people not attending social events in numbers like the past it seems to me there is more importance on streamed matches. A person who is interested in pool browsing the interweb for entertainment may not waste 2 minutes of their time if the contestants look like they just rolled out of bed and didnt have time to put on clean clothes. I just dont see a problem with some minimum of dress attire, even dark jeans, clean athletic shoes, and a shirt with a collar would be an improvement and also something most people have.

exactly. noone is asking for tuxedos, so it's kinda weird to drag them into the discussion when it should really be about not looking like a street urchin / meth addict

MurrayNevada

gleason.jpg

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And yet here you are on a pool forum not only reading the posts but also replying to them
What's this got to do with the errant state of competition? I've long since been over the fact that it's only what it is. Longer still since (around Jr. High) I lost the need to be in style.
Back to pool; forget dress code, there should be a physique code. You know like other sports? Then maybe people would buy pool TV.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice post...

Here's why, (at least for me) and it's self serving.

I'm tired of the 'Oh' look when people find out I'm a pool player. There's this negative perception of the game from prior years of all the garbage we're all aware of. Those who have next to or completely no exposure to the game simply default to the worst. So my take on it is this. What can we do to improve the image of the game...? Raise that 'worst' bar just a little. What's the low hanging, easy to knock off items we can do to make something think that maybe this game isn't all that bad...?

To me, the easiest is dress. This really shouldn't be a problem. Anyone worth their ass who likes to play in nearly any level of tournament shouldn't have a problem with putting on some decent clothes. To the extreme which is the professional level. These guys, (gals don't seem to be problem) should be expected to dress like professionals but also act as them.

The problem is the whole backyard streaming trend. It's not fair to expect people that excel at pool to also always be wearing 'professional attire' 24/7. You gotta be realistic. That said, as a high level banger, when I travel for work (which does not require nice dress) I always pack a decent pair of pants and black golf shirt, just in the off chance I find a game. I don't seem to have a hard time being prepared, and I don't even do it for a living...lol.

Why...? Why not...?
Good points, all. And I know exactly what you mean with the look people give...like I should look like a greaser from the
50's in order to be serious about pool.

I just don't know if anything will change until the players themselves change. Seems as if tournament directors have a huge amount of responsibilities...now they are gonna have to police what a grown adult wears? I don't know if it will "trickle up" from the casuals to the pros.

Folks tend to imitate or mimic the ones they look up to...ever see all the tough duded walking around with TapouT shirts on because that's what their favorite fighter wears during interviews? Or the corporate bankers who ride harley's in full leathers with their skull bandana pulled up over their face...because they think that's what dudes who ride hogs are supposed to wear.