Stupidly creative....................

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked tony about that shot a few months later when he was in Houston. I asked if he actually practiced shots like that and he said, not exactly. He said he practices parts of these crazy shots and just puts them together when the situation arises.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has many of these shots in his bag of tricks. His height is such an advantage in that he can execute without too much effort. Shorter players have no chance of even considering the shot let alone seeing it. He had his cue elevated at about 70 degrees and made it look easy.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
We see some shots that work out great but we are left to wonder did it happen as planned. I like shots like this where it is obvious that it was planned to perfection.

Hu

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
That whole match was the best long 1-hole match I’ve ever seen.

I don't know if it is still up but another great match was I think Gabe Owens and Nick Varner. They got the wedge game going and I don't think pocketed a ball for fifteen minutes. The amazing thing was that every shot by either player accomplished something, never a throw away shot. Gripping for a one pocket player, no doubt slower than watching paint dry for someone that didn't appreciate great one pocket.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't know if it is still up but another great match was I think Gabe Owens and Nick Varner. They got the wedge game going and I don't think pocketed a ball for fifteen minutes. The amazing thing was that every shot by either player accomplished something, never a throw away shot. Gripping for a one pocket player, no doubt slower than watching paint dry for someone that didn't appreciate great one pocket.

Hu
The game was always going to develop on the aggressive side...a ball made is worth a lot of safeties.
Ronnie Allen went against the conventional wisdom of what a sucker shot was...and players had to change.
Snooker has gone the same way...the opening shots now were unheard of a few decades ago.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu
I know Gabe pretty well and appreciate his ability and tenacity. That being said i think i'd rather eat broken glass than watch wedge-game 1p. Definitely an INSTANT remedy for insomnia.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Tony is one of the most creative and fearless players. He is a joy to watch. I got to play him in Derby last year...held my own for a little while until he bar-b-cued me. I have a lot of creativity, but I lack my youthful precision but it was never as good as these guys. One pocket gives a lot of opportunity for creativity, shot making, risk and of course failure. It is a wonderful game, just too slow for most of the general public.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony is one of the most creative and fearless players. He is a joy to watch. I got to play him in Derby last year...held my own for a little while until he bar-b-cued me. I have a lot of creativity, but I lack my youthful precision but it was never as good as these guys. One pocket gives a lot of opportunity for creativity, shot making, risk and of course failure. It is a wonderful game, just too slow for most of the general public.

Agreed, I was always a 9B player and never got into golf, 1P, or anything else (I did play some snooker back in the 90's.) but as my game has progressed and I have slowed down I have been enjoying some 1P and I sure wish I would've picked it up 30 years ago.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Grady's 1p events he had a rule that if more than four(pretty sure) were in kitchen at inning's end the one nearest the head rail spots. For tournament play this is a great rule. Strategy and moves are still there but shouldn't take forever to play a game/match.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
He actually thought he would leave the cue ball buried in the pack after that shot, but it leaked out above the three ball. Good thing he made the ball.
I agree Jay... and he might have buried the cue if he didn't hit it so perfect! ;) Tony has great instincts and that allows him to "believe" in the shot and trust the results.