Surfing in Olympics, new sport this year

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw that surfing is a new sport in the Olympics this year. Of course it made me think of the billiard disciplines missing. In my opinion, the Olympic committee is trying to bring more viewers to the Olympic games. They are going for more exciting sports. Thus, women's beach volleyball will never be removed, and billiards will never be added. Just the way of the world.

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The IOC has said they want to urbanize the olympics. Breakdancing is in and wrestling will be gone. Fuk them.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
SKATEBOARDING AS WELL! I am stoked to to hear both are. The pool industry in USA is NO WHERE NEAR BEING READY. Being on my 10th year in the business, pool has many years until it is ready to be an Olympic sport. Just my opinion, not arguing or debating :)

TFT

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
SKATEBOARDING AS WELL! I am stoked to to hear both are. The pool industry in USA is NO WHERE NEAR BEING READY. Being on my 10th year in the business, pool has many years until it is ready to be an Olympic sport. Just my opinion, not arguing or debating :)
Fortunately, being a 'sport' isn't a requirement so at least we don't have to worry about that debate holding things up...lol

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw that surfing is a new sport in the Olympics this year. Of course it made me think of the billiard disciplines missing. In my opinion, the Olympic committee is trying to bring more viewers to the Olympic games. They are going for more exciting sports. Thus, women's beach volleyball will never be removed, and billiards will never be added. Just the way of the world.

Be ready to hear the Beach Boys 30 times during the competition. If we don't, it would be a travesty.

The Olympics should be the OLYMPICS, as in noble and dignified, based on historical events at least a little bit. The X games for sports like skating and surfing should be the X Games for MTV.

I bet a "bar game" event where players play a mix of foosball, pool, darts, cornhole, beer pong, ping pong, etc.. but all do all the events not just one, would be a lot of fun. Maybe along with bowling. So we can get the best all-around bar games players instead of just specialized ones that are great at one game but not the others. I'd love to see 50 people compete and train at all the games at a good but not great level. Sure you can beat the guy at pool, but now you need to get your dart game up to at least be mid-back or your low score there will dump you out of the top places. I guess a Derby City of bar drunk hacks LOL

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
But hey, they got dem some women's soccer. "Thrilling non-stop action," said one 1-P player.

Jeff Livingston

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The Olympics should be the OLYMPICS, as in noble and dignified, based on historical events at least a little bit. The X games for sports like skating and surfing should be the X Games for MTV.
Millions and Millions of people around the world pushed for surfing and skateboarding to be Olympic Sports. I am one of those people. Evidently what WE think collectively over rules your opinion :) Have a great day!

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

TFT
The modern Olympics started in 1896.
125 years and no pool.
I hope you are patient.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those who are saying surfing isn't a sport have clearly never surfed. The most winded I've ever been in my life was when I was learning how to surf. Incredible physical demands.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well people train for years to even make the U.S. Olympic Team.

The best in each sport make it, big deal even making team.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Millions and Millions of people around the world pushed for surfing and skateboarding to be Olympic Sports. I am one of those people. Evidently what WE think collectively over rules your opinion :) Have a great day!

And McDonalds is hugely popular as are the Kardashians. Majority is not always right or have the best ideas LOL

Olympics evolved from martial sports, wrestling, archery, running (Marathon was literally named after a battle where the messengers ran for long distances). Soon as there is a skateboarding division in the Army they ship over to war I'd say they are OK to be in the Olympics.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And McDonalds is hugely popular as are the Kardashians. Majority is not always right or have the best ideas LOL

Olympics evolved from martial sports, wrestling, archery, running (Marathon was literally named after a battle where the messengers ran for long distances). Soon as there is a skateboarding division in the Army they ship over to war I'd say they are OK to be in the Olympics.
If the Winter Olympics can have Snowboarding, why can the Summer Games have Skateboarding and Surfing?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the Winter Olympics can have Snowboarding, why can the Summer Games have Skateboarding and Surfing?

If a sport evolved from stoners hanging out rebelling against current cultures, there should be second thoughts about having it in the Olympics IMHO

Not that it's easy to do any of the sports at a high level, I always argue that even chess and scrabble, when done at a competitive level with practice and competition is a sport. I just think that trying to add more and more things to the Olympics is not the right place for some things. I have the same feelings about the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" which is really turning into the "General Music Hall of Fame". If it's setup for a specific thing, instead of adding or modifying that specific thing, just start something new, like the X Games actually did.