SVB/Chohan Updates

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony wanted to start early because his cousin's funeral is tomorrow at 10am. Shane agreed. Omega said no.

Most people following the stream are aware of what's going on.

But, like you said, business is business. :rolleyes:
That’s a tough one.

If it was my call, I’d have started the stream early and notified the people who paid and worked something out. It’s not a bullshit excuse.

I agree with an early start and I think that would have been the best plan. Even with no commentary or a substitute person doing commentary would have been ok if they didn’t have Josh or who ever they had today. (I really like his commentary)

There are rules in biz of course. But this I believe is the exception. I feel bad for Tony of course. And it figured to be a long day by the score and because they have played 5 days recently it figured to be longer and closer for sure.

The reality is it didn’t last long and who knows if Tony was 100%. I’m not going to accuse him of sluffing off. I bet he played his hardest. But I don’t think Tony was 100% today. Just by the score and time played. I didn’t see it.

Tony will be back, and play better I’m certain

However how the hell can anyone play their A game when their cousins funeral is the next day? (and as we all know they were tight). And playing SVB is never an easy day for anyone under the best of circumstances.

Seems like playing this wasn’t the best move, Tony has tons of heart to step up and play-my respect to him.🙏🏼🙏🏼.

Just my thoughts

Respectfully
Eric

Life is brutal sometimes

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I smell a throw. Even though Tony said he needs the money. I think he would rather not miss his cousin's funeral.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony wanted to start early because his cousin's funeral is tomorrow at 10am. Shane agreed. Omega said no.

Most people following the stream are aware of what's going on.

But, like you said, business is business. :rolleyes:

yea but doesn't market logic also dictate that if they're betting a substantial amount of money this issue is decided by the players and their backers, not by a PPV streamer? food for thought.

makes me think, if you want to see true big money matches, go to griffs or buffalos and take a seat, just make sure there's no PPV streamer around

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yea but doesn't market logic also dictate that if they're betting a substantial amount of money this issue is decided by the players and their backers, not by a PPV streamer? food for thought.

makes me think, if you want to see true big money matches, go to griffs or buffalos and take a seat, just make sure there's no PPV streamer around

Does seem like a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Lou Figueroa

FunChamp

Idk about omega,

What I do know is if they started playing early everyone who paid for the stream would be crying about the early start.

No matter what everyone will be pissed off-that’s pool.

And people still think pool has a chance……
I bet you and I are about the same age. You might be a few older. I started with pool 91'-92'. I've been listening to the same talk for 30 years. "We need to do this or that to make pool big with big sponsors etc etc". It's not going to happen. Pool is a niche activity like bowling, darts, arm wrestling and that's OK. Is what it is. What I see fail over and over is this attempt to make pool so clean cut, professional, and proper. What gets the most interest about pool? The gambling, the hustling, the characters. What do we all talk about or perks our interest? Who is gambling whom for how much. That's sells more than anything. Try a different route. Give people what interests them. Get some backers, some pros, stick them in a room talking trash and woofing. Rather watch Keith McCready with a beer and a smoke yelling any one of you champions has got the 8? Or one of these young guns walk around the table on every shot, stroke their cue in the air 50x with their boring pre-shot routines and sipping on their fruit smoothies? Let pool be what it really is and be happy.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet you and I are about the same age. You might be a few older. I started with pool 91'-92'. I've been listening to the same talk for 30 years. "We need to do this or that to make pool big with big sponsors etc etc". It's not going to happen. Pool is a niche activity like bowling, darts, arm wrestling and that's OK. Is what it is. What I see fail over and over is this attempt to make pool so clean cut, professional, and proper. What gets the most interest about pool? The gambling, the hustling, the characters. What do we all talk about or perks our interest? Who is gambling whom for how much. That's sells more than anything. Try a different route. Give people what interests them. Get some backers, some pros, stick them in a room talking trash and woofing. Rather watch Keith McCready with a beer and a smoke yelling any one of you champions has got the 8? Or one of these young guns walk around the table on every shot, stroke their cue in the air 50x with their boring pre-shot routines and sipping on their fruit smoothies? Let pool be what it really is and be happy.

Well yah, but the robots play way better than the entertainers ever did.

Lou Figueroa

FunChamp

Well yah, but the robots play way better than the entertainers ever did.

Lou Figueroa
Just my opinion, but I don't care if they play better because its unwatchable and boring. Pool is my second love in life behind Jesus. I love pool. But I can't watch this new era. Except One Pocket. I can watch FSR, and some of the faster players but even then, with the stoic, quiet, corporate drab. I just can't watch. Glad someone enjoys it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m 56 and started pool in 80/81 in bars and arcades and friends houses and in school(yes we had pool tables) in 85 I started the pool room.

I miss Keith & guys almost like him-he was one of a kind. Too many milk drinkers now. No characters these days. UJ Puckett, Fats etc.

Great post we agree

Fatboy <——-not a milk drinker

FunChamp

I’m 56 and started pool in 80/81 in bars and arcades and friends houses and in school(yes we had pool tables) in 85 I started the pool room.

I miss Keith & guys almost like him-he was one of a kind. Too many milk drinkers now. No characters these days. UJ Puckett, Fats etc.

Great post we agree

Fatboy <——-not a milk drinker
50 years old here. Didn't start playing pool until 19-20

FunChamp

Last thing I will say and I'll shut up. (No clapping) I hear everyone talking about making the game harder. It's always tighter pockets. I don't think so. Imo pockets shouldn't be less than 4 1/2. This is not snooker and not meant to be. Want to make it harder? Slow the equipment down. Today's balls are too reactive. It takes nothing to bust open the rack or break up clusters. The biggest problem is the cloth is way way to fast. Guys don't really need a stroke anymore. You can poke the ball and go up and down table or three rails. It's ridiculous. They just recovered the felt at my poolroom and I was dying laughing. Pockets suck the balls in and if you power draw the CB looks like a Mustang doing a burnout before it takes off. If you slow the cloth down it will require folks to stroke harder which will lead to more misses. I'll put away my soap box now

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last thing I will say and I'll shut up. (No clapping) I hear everyone talking about making the game harder. It's always tighter pockets. I don't think so. Imo pockets shouldn't be less than 4 1/2. This is not snooker and not meant to be. Want to make it harder? Slow the equipment down. Today's balls are too reactive. It takes nothing to bust open the rack or break up clusters. The biggest problem is the cloth is way way to fast. Guys don't really need a stroke anymore. You can poke the ball and go up and down table or three rails. It's ridiculous. They just recovered the felt at my poolroom and I was dying laughing. Pockets suck the balls in and if you power draw the CB looks like a Mustang doing a burnout before it takes off. If you slow the cloth down it will require folks to stroke harder which will lead to more misses. I'll put away my soap box now
The only exception is for 1P, I prefer a tight table for that specific game.

hayes1699

Registered
Current state of pool:
More money in pool NOW than there has ever been in the history of the game.
More available free and premium content to watch and learn than there has ever been in the history of the game.
• More people play (including chinese 8 ball) than at any point in the history of pocket billiards.

Pool just doesn't get the attention it used to get! Who cares - almost every sport/game is dealing with the same issue (ie. baseball). I work in marketing and consumer interest has simply become more niche and advertisers are following suit. Yes, pool needs more sponsors but you don't need big and recognizable brands sponsoring pool for pool to be successfully monetized. See attached screenshot - Trickshot CEO got 8 million LIKES (not views!) on this video. Between instagram, youtube, and tiktok he has 5 million followers. Even though trickshot CEO isn't really a pool player, he's influencing millions of kids who - guess what - will grow up and have hobbies - and maybe one of them will be pool.

My point: to all the people who want pool to be the way it was back in the day - it ain't happenin' - but it doesn't need to. Pool will succeed more than any point in it's long history - by most measurements it already has.

I don't like to sit and bitch, that's why I help pro players develop videos for social media. Look out for a huge drop of social content coming soon from Alex - so please subscribe to be in the know - https://www.youtube.com/@AlexPagulayanTheLion

1677098117827.png

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Current state of pool:
More money in pool NOW than there has ever been in the history of the game.
More available free and premium content to watch and learn than there has ever been in the history of the game.
• More people play (including chinese 8 ball) than at any point in the history of pocket billiards.

Pool just doesn't get the attention it used to get! Who cares - almost every sport/game is dealing with the same issue (ie. baseball). I work in marketing and consumer interest has simply become more niche and advertisers are following suit. Yes, pool needs more sponsors but you don't need big and recognizable brands sponsoring pool for pool to be successfully monetized. See attached screenshot - Trickshot CEO got 8 million LIKES (not views!) on this video. Between instagram, youtube, and tiktok he has 5 million followers. Even though trickshot CEO isn't really a pool player, he's influencing millions of kids who - guess what - will grow up and have hobbies - and maybe one of them will be pool.

My point: to all the people who want pool to be the way it was back in the day - it ain't happenin' - but it doesn't need to. Pool will succeed more than any point in it's long history - by most measurements it already has.

I don't like to sit and bitch, that's why I help pro players develop videos for social media. Look out for a huge drop of social content coming soon from Alex - so please subscribe to be in the know - https://www.youtube.com/@AlexPagulayanTheLion
Wow, someone who gets it. Well said and well done for doing what you can.
I would also applaud the efforts of Emily Frazer and Matchroom for attempting to grow the professional side of things.

hayes1699

Registered
Wow, someone who gets it. Well said and well done for doing what you can.
I would also applaud the efforts of Emily Frazer and Matchroom for attempting to grow the professional side of things.
Appreciate it. Here's a professional opinion on how Matchroom should approach marketing - Pick the top 10 instagram and tiktok influencers and pay them to attend all Matchroom events and create video content. These influencers have a market of followers - pay them in exchange for access to their audience. This is how the entire ad world has been operating for the last five to seven years - industry standard. And here's the cherry on top - all these influencers have their own brands that sponsor them - by bringing on influencers - you're opening the door to their advertisers.

Is this not obvious? [big sigh]

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Appreciate it. Here's a professional opinion on how Matchroom should approach marketing - Pick the top 10 instagram and tiktok influencers and pay them to attend all Matchroom events and create video content.
Yeah, good idea. I've heard Emily talk about getting the players to use social media in a positive and professional way too.