SVB foul vs. Kaci?

Mainplayer

Gold Member
In my opinion, this shot was a foul. The second noise was a dead giveaway for me, but then again, who knows! Congrats on Shane being the first American to win a Eurotour!!

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/VpPeN6ZUgJs

Above is a good attempt of mine to duplicate Shane's shot. I have lines drawn on my cloth with a sharpie, so its easier to see curves on my table. It looks like the CB is moving away from the sharpie line from the rail until about the 2nd diamond (where the bridge head was). Then after that point, it seems to be moving into the the sharpie diamond line.

I have a lot more clips that might show the curve better. But I'm hungry and have to eat. I've been messing with this shot for a couple hours now. There are a LOT of tiny changes that make it different. If I get the CB airborne more, I can move the curve point past the side pocket. But upon watching Shane's shot carefully, it did not seem to get airborne.

I ALSO have one clip for later where I 100% clipped the CB with my bridge head. I felt it in my hand and heard it clear as day. Upon looking at that video, the CB path did not seem to be affected, and it was impossible for me to see the foul advancing the original video one frame at a time (I'm at 30 frames per second).

I will try more shots later and maybe make a good video edit of the possibilities, if I decide to spend more time on this:)

Great information. It shows that the original footage doesn’t definitively prove or disprove a foul. The altered cueball path isn’t evidence of anything. Not seeing a video frame of contact proves nothing either. Not seeing visible cueball slowdown also proves nothing.

So we are really weighing whether the sound was ball-to-tip contact or the cue rattling in the bridge. I don’t think the video proves much there even though the timing of the sound and the proximity of the tip to ball may be suspect. The final component is SVB’s word that he didn’t feel anything.

I think I’d change my ruling to “inconclusive” which favors the shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, here's the latest. The referee of the match was contacted about this, shown the video, and they responded with their thoughts. Amazing --> HERE

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, here's the latest. The referee of the match was contacted about this, shown the video, and they responded with their thoughts. Amazing --> HERE

Unbelievable really. I would love seeing Kaci's response after this.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

I never thought of it that way, but I'd say the ref is definitely right.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jam, this is the first post this year that I know for a fact will change how I play pool. I was going to give up on this thread but you never let me down!

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
The guy called a foul on himself for his shirt touching a ball before.
May have cost him a U.S. Open title.
I give Shane the benefit of the doubt.

TightPocket

What does everyone thing about the tip end of the cue appearing to bend slightly...

What does everyone thing about the tip end of the cue appearing to bend slightly right at the area in question where it was clearly straight "looking" immediately prior to the area in question and the bend seems to minimize as the cue tip is towards the end of the pictures I posted?

Is this simply a factor of the camera not being able to catch up with the speed of the cue in the 'not slow enough fps' shots I was able to get (not a lot of effort was needed to get those pictures), and that the tip end of the cue only 'appears' to be bent because that's the direction it is moving in and the camera can't keep up, or is there more to the tip end of the cue appearing relatively strongly in the pictures to be bent?

I think it could be argued that the sound was from the cue hitting the bridge, and it is fair to argue that the sound might be a combination of that and possibly the cue tip hitting the cue ball at the exact same time...either way is possible with the information we have available, but I think that if it hit his cue tip on the way back, he probably felt it. And without conclusive evidence either way, the shot goes to the shooter, and I respect that he feel he is being in saying that he does not believe that there was secondary contact. Like I said, if it is a combination of the 2 sounds, I feel like Shane would have felt it, unless of course it happened so simultaneously to the cue tip hitting the brige that he was unable to differentiate between the two sounds and feels.

Bottom line - shot goes to the shooter. If you feel like Shane would have admitted if it hit his cue tip, then you should feel pretty confident that it was a good hit, or at least that he believed it was a good hit. In either case, the shot still goes to the shooter.

And don't think that it isn't possible that even if it were a foul that he felt the cue hitting the bridge relatively solidly at or about at the same time as it 'supposedly' hitting the cue ball and he was only able to identify the feel as one single contact, because if you don't believe that, just take a look at the rest of this thread and the arguments being made. There certainly ARE other possibilities that haven't been thrown out there on this thread yet, and one of them, like this one, may just be the truth. We might never know.

Bottom line - the shot has to go to the shooter, and I believe that is the most fair outcome in this particular scenario. God job on the comeback, Shane, and congrats to Kacy on the great performance and his handling of this 'controversy'...

-TightPocket

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
What does everyone thing about the tip end of the cue appearing to bend slightly right at the area in question where it was clearly straight "looking" immediately prior to the area in question and the bend seems to minimize as the cue tip is towards the end of the pictures I posted?

-TightPocket

I think that Shane is shooting with a carbon fiber shaft, and that if the CB hit the tip hard enough for the shaft to bend even slightly, the CB would have been deflected by a full foot, is what I think.

But then again... I use my common sense... :-D

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Some of Euros players comments were way out of line IMO

Especially Karl Boyes seemed to be very biased against Shane and all the USA players.

Hats off to Kaci for deleting that thread he saw all the bad things some of European players were saying and decided to delete it all lol ,

Kaci showed nothing but class about the whole thing no sour grapes nothing.The kid is only 19 and has heart of a true champion.

Boyes is a whiny little beeeeeatch!!

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
I think that Shane is shooting with a carbon fiber shaft, and that if the CB hit the tip hard enough for the shaft to bend even slightly, the CB would have been deflected by a full foot, is what I think.

But then again... I use my common sense... :-D

Exactly, the theory of the supposed impact with the cue ball visually "bend" the shaft is even more ludicrous than that of the sound in the video was caused by such an impact. The cue ball never lie, if the sound was caused by an impact, people will be able to see the resulting abrupt change of cue ball path/speed, and if the shaft was indeed bent, the cue ball would have to be launched off camera.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all the referee is out of position to make the call. He should have stationed himself at the end of the table where the cue was traveling toward him. Many referees think they should not be in the line of sight of the player when he's shooting. Wrong! A good referee gets into the best position possible to see the shot develop, particularly on a shot like this. Then he needs to stand still! That way he's in a better position to see what happens before and after contact. Where he was standing, behind Shane, he has no chance to make the correct call here.

Interestingly enough, we can actually see the shot better on this video than he could, because we are in the line of sight of the cue ball path. This is the hard part, making the call. It all happens very fast and you need to watch closely the path of the cue ball. Something definitely happens to deviate it's course, and it isn't English taking after the cue ball is a diamond off the rail. As the ref, if you see the shot and hear a sound, it's a foul. After watching it several times, I believe the cue ball came into contact with his tip after the shot. That caused the quick deviation in the path of the cue ball.

You'd have to slo-mo this to really see the foul more clearly. Notice where his tip is when the cue ball swerves abruptly. Shane probably felt the contact as well. One more thing, if you watch closely, Shane hits center ball on the cue ball, so there wouldn't be any English coming off the rail. The correct way to shoot this shot is center ball with no English. It's just too hard a shot to add English to the equation. He fouled!
So as a ref you would stand in front of the player just because he was using a bridge. Your not calling a close hit. If you think it might come back and hit the players tip. Seems side view would be the best. Also you said Shane felt the contact. Therefore calling him a cheater.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk