Szam inspired Mottey

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recent pick up of a Szam inspired Mottey. Could use a refinish but is a solid classic design. Yes its for sale.
wXHXrBZ.jpg

mgJ9ZOF.jpg

hLjEi8r.jpg

srp9YGJ.jpg

wl1ZVNU.jpg

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mottey cues take a back seat to nobody

I prefer the play of Mottey to all the piloted steel greats

why?
I dunno,buy I love the play of all mottey cues
steel,ivory or wood joint

In fact I am looking to buy Mottey cues now

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Interesting in that it looks like rust where the finish has chipped away on the metal rings.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Interesting in that it looks like rust where the finish has chipped away on the metal rings.

Yeah I'm curious about those rings too. Also those shaft pilots are not his style. His were more like Gus and George with perfectly rounded brass into the maple tounge... From the date sig on the forearm it's an earlier example though so that could explain that.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The rings oxidized. A refinishing would make them glean again. Lots of vintage cues share this fate. Rings pop and then oxidize.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The rings oxidized. A refinishing would make them glean again. Lots of vintage cues share this fate. Rings pop and then oxidize.

I generally agree with that. However, in the fourth picture showing the rings above the buttsleeve, it looks like material is substantially missing from the rings. If so, I'm not sure just a refinish would restore it. It would be interesting to hear from cue makers and repairmen on that.

All the best,
WW

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member

Sure but these look like they're deteriorating somewhat. I was thinking they were nickle silver rings but maybe they're not or the conditions the cue was stored in was not optimum to say the least.. I'm agree a good refinish would make them look new though.