TAR 28 - 8 ball Updates - Deuel vs Schmidt

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey is one of my favorite pool players. However, I have a word of advice to his sponsor, Woodpecker Cues- invest a very small amount of money to have a professionally made shirt for Corey to wear when playing. It seemed so low budget for him to be wearing a taped on "Woodpecker Cues" logo on his shirt

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iusedtoberich...Just a little terminology error here. A "slug rack" is one where balls are not touching each other (usually resulting in a poor break). That doesn't happen with a magic rack...all balls are frozen. Just because nothing goes on the break doesn't mean it was a slug rack. In 8 ball, even the top pros fail to pocket balls on the break almost half the time. Not trying to be a smart ass, just wanted you to know. BTW, thanks for the updates!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

John slug racks himself twice now (with magic rack), but OB comes around and breaks out the cluster left in rack area. No ball pocketed, Corey has tricky layout.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iusedtoberich...Just a little terminology error here. A "slug rack" is one where balls are not touching each other (usually resulting in a poor break). That doesn't happen with a magic rack...all balls are frozen. Just because nothing goes on the break doesn't mean it was a slug rack. In 8 ball, even the top pros fail to pocket balls on the break almost half the time. Not trying to be a smart ass, just wanted you to know. BTW, thanks for the updates!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Well if you don't want to be a smart ass, I will. John did slug rack, "house rack," whatever you want to call it, himself. If there's any error on terminology, it's on you Mr. Lee for accusing iusedtoberich of using the wrong word(s), when he used them correctly.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

No worries, but John himself said he slug racked himself out loud. He will need correcting also;)

John actually had lots of choice one liners. I highly recommend purchasing the stream :). Both players were miked, and that made the match more enjoyable.

As far as the magic rack goes, I have not used it extensively. Maybe 10 or 20 sets since it came out 5 years ago, or whenever that was. I will say based on my experience with it, its actually quite easy to slug rack yourself. The balls do not freeze perfectly every time. You sometimes have to be exceptionally careful to ensures they all freeze. Sometimes they freeze perfectly, with almost no attention paid. But sometimes they don't.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too funny! I guess he should know, huh? LOL I have no experienced poor racks using the magic rack, but I have used it more for 9 ball than 8 ball.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

No worries, but John himself said he slug racked himself out loud. He will need correcting also;)

John actually had lots of choice one liners. I highly recommend purchasing the stream :). Both players were miked, and that made the match more enjoyable.

As far as the magic rack goes, I have not used it extensively. Maybe 10 or 20 sets since it came out 5 years ago, or whenever that was. I will say based on my experience with it, its actually quite easy to slug rack yourself. The balls do not freeze perfectly every time. You sometimes have to be exceptionally careful to ensures they all freeze. Sometimes they freeze perfectly, with almost no attention paid. But sometimes they don't.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member

I've used it a TON over the last 3ish years and will vouch for iusedtoberich's post. Some MR's are more precise than others, and over time a MR can go from "perfect" to having to massage the balls tighter. :eek:

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some MR's are more precise than others, and over time a MR can go from "perfect" to having to massage the balls tighter. :eek:
That's exactly what I do: Place the balls in the Magic Rack and then gently push the balls closer, horizontally then vertically. It only takes a few extra seconds to do this and I now have a tight rack. :)

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I was told by someone that sells/sold them not to use a spot with the MR. Also as the holes wear they open a bit and then you need to check it closer for gaps. IMO the new ssuper thin MR are too thin and with smooth cloth like Simonis the balls sometimes don't rest right in the holes. Johnnyt

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey is one of my favorite pool players. However, I have a word of advice to his sponsor, Woodpecker Cues- invest a very small amount of money to have a professionally made shirt for Corey to wear when playing. It seemed so low budget for him to be wearing a taped on "Woodpecker Cues" logo on his shirt

no kidding. didnt even know that he used woodpecker cues until the podcast. in the older "whats in the case" segment he was using a jacoby, which looked similiar to his cue now.

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

its very easy to slug rack yourself with a magic rack, the balls dont always automatically freeze to each other, thats why you see players lighting touching the balls with their fingers after the rack to ensure they are all in face touching.