Teaching a Newbie to stay down

Post First

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are some of your suggestions??My friend has a serious jumping up problem I want to help him..Lend me your collective expertise..thank you..

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are some of your suggestions??My friend has a serious jumping up problem I want to help him..Lend me your collective expertise..thank you..

Tell him to keep his head down and chin touching the cue until he actually sees the ball drop. When he sees it drop, then he can stand up, not before. Eventually it becomes muscle memory to just stay down until you see it go in. Alex Pagulayan is probably one of the most consistent players when it comes to staying down on the shot.

I've heard some dumb ones like holding a cue over someones head while they shoot, but the above one is the probably the most practical.

Last edited:

Autist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just tell him not to jump up? He jumps up because he knows he didnt hit it good.
(Here we go again :D)

RioSevario

Rivers
Silver Member
Not a coach, but I would think that he needs to focus on it himself. Shoot easy shots with him focusing on staying down. 100 reps per day should put it into muscle memory. Tell him to just be comfortable but to focus on good form. Choose an easy shot so he doesn't get frustrated at missing while practicing staying down.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone told me to imagine that every shot is like a movie and that you should always stay down and sit through the end credits.

Kinda odd, but it helped me. :)

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
It's all about keeping your head still. Not about jumping up or staying down. Most players do this out of anxiety related to the shot. Just keep the head still, including the eyes and mouth, for two seconds after every stroke. While the head's still, analyze the cue's finish position and you'll see how good or bad you hit it.
:grin:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Someone told me to imagine that every shot is like a movie and that you should always stay down and sit through the end credits.

Kinda odd, but it helped me. :)

You've posted that before....and I like it.

What works for some people is.....
"Whatever moves is what makes the cue move."

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
I have a few ways of fixing this. His eye pattern may also be the problem causing this.

1- A have a stick with 6 inch nails and razor blades sticking through the end, i then hold it over a players head when he shoots, after a while and a lot of blood later he learns :wink:

2- Tell he has to stay down until the cue ball stops or he owes you $1 every time he moves before the cue ball stops. This technique is what i was showing John Morra, as he used to jump up.

3- Frank Callan, used to tie a piece of rope around Steve Davis neck and his foot, so he couldn't get up on the shot.

I prefer #1 :wink:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Just video tape him using your phone and show him. If he doesn't get it, you did your part.

-td

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just gently touch the top of his head while he shoots easy straight in shots. You don't have to push on his head or force it down, the slight feeling of your hand on his head will serve as a subtle reminder to stay down until the balls stop rolling.

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
While I don't know whether he cues with the shaft on his chin this will work either way. When he gets down to shoot, tie a string around his neck and cue leaving about an inch of extra room. Have him practice like this. If he gets up while he's shooting the string should pull the shaft right off his bridge.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On one of his videos Jimmy Reid said the best and easiest cure is to force yourself for a period of time to say 3 numbers to yourself after shooting thru the CB:-- just remain down and say to yourself: one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, before you let yourself get up off the shot.

Staying down then becomes automatic after the ingraining period.

Arnaldo

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put your hand GENTLY between his shoulder blades as he shoots some set up shots. Just a gentle reminder.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just video tape him using your phone and show him. If he doesn't get it, you did your part.

-td

I think this is the best method...being able to see your mistakes from the perspective of a spectator is huge!!!!

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In pool you have to minimize things to think about. Follow through is the most critical while cue is moving to ensure ball pocketing, this will aromatically force you to stay down, and ensure your butt hand does not go inward, also very smooth shaft helps a lot.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Simple

Punch him in the back of the head, it might make his eyes dart a little and a little quirky but he will stay down.
Wear a glove and wrap up