Team USA will not have Justin Bergman at Mosconi Cup

The last tourney I was at, a few hours from STL some people from there said he may come but he has health concerns of some sort and that is at least part of the reason he wont travel. There could be many reasons of course and anything not coming directly from him on the matter is just speculation.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last tourney I was at, a few hours from STL some people from there said he may come but he has health concerns of some sort and that is at least part of the reason he wont travel. There could be many reasons of course and anything not coming directly from him on the matter is just speculation.
And there is no shortage of that on AZB.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I hate to see in this sport with so few American stars....wasted talent.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No doubt, guys like Pagulayan and Morra would help. So would Mexican Jesus Atencio, who is a fast-rising star. You'd have to call it Team North America, and, although it is not my preference to move in that direction, I would be OK with it. Still, addition of these players wouldn't be even close to enough.

With Kaci at 22, Gorst at 21, Filler at 23, the young nucleus of Team Europe will be around for a long time, and Ouschan and Shaw are only in their early 30's, so it looks like Team USA will be the underdog for many years to come. The balance of power stands with Europe, as at present the world's top 20 based on Fargo is comprised of 11 Asian players, 7 Europeans, 1 Canadian and 1 American.

I tire of the argument that because Europe has a bigger population than the US, the matchup is unfair. One of our European posters once suggested that there are 20 nine ball players in America for every nine ball player in Europe. Success lies in training, work ethic and preparation, not in population or numbers.

Mosconi participation, which guarantees a huge payday by the standards of tournament prize money in America, is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for the American touring pro. It helps vitalize the big tournaments on the American pool calendar as they are the stepping stone to gaining a spot on Team USA.

Taiwan only has about 25 million people and I would take their top five players against the top five players from the USA or Europe.

jpicc1113@yahoo

I don't think they have made any selections yet, only the Filler is definitely in and Shane, since he's vice captain, is definitely in as a shooting vice captain. That's what I've gleaned so far at the time of this writing.
How about Jeremy Sossei the giant killer??

Reactions: JAM

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taiwan only has about 25 million people and I would take their top five players against the top five players from the USA or Europe.

chang, ko bro's, kevin cheng and one more, maybe kun wu. i think europe would win but not by much. taiwan + china would be tough action

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about Jeremy Sossei the giant killer??
I think Jeremy Jones and Shane Van Boening may be sizing up the American field during this week and the next couple weeks of sold pool competition events. Las Vegas is booming now, and next week will be Atlantic City. For sure, Billy and Sky will be in the Cup, so it really only leaves two spots open.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Jeremy Jones and Shane Van Boening may be sizing up the American field during this week and the next couple weeks of sold pool competition events. Las Vegas is booming now, and next week will be Atlantic City. For sure, Billy and Sky will be in the Cup, so it really only leaves two spots open.
I agree. This tournament is only Stage One, with Stages Two and Three to follow. These three events will paint a pretty clear picture of who is playing the best pool now, both for the U.S. side and for the Euro side.

Oscar and Thorpe are definitely in the picture, depending greatly on how they fare going forward. And at least five Euros have thrust themselves into contention for a spot on their team.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAM