Technique to bore ID of trim rings

JC

Coos Cues
Since cue rings aren't necessary to have the center hole to exacting tolerances I prefer a delrin Jig threaded together. Quick to build, cheap and easy on your tooling if you bump it. Preston Jeter is currently making a really nice metal one but the downside to all of these type of jigs is that the OD has to be pretty exact. You can build a jig for this as well if your rings are pre made or not all the same od.

Here is one I made in a short while for large OD rings that I wanted to bore the ID hole larger than .750 for a special project. I have built several of these for different size rings. But you get the idea.

P1050438 [1600x1200].JPG
P1050441 [1600x1200].JPG

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Man you love those fine threads!!

And damned good a cutting them too I might add!
That blue one is DZ's.
Mine are the poor man's version.
But, these suckers work .
My tenons are .675" and .875" , so I have to open up holes .

Attachments

• DSC03721.JPG
    DSC03721.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: JC

JC

Coos Cues
That blue one is DZ's.
Mine are the poor man's version.
But, these suckers work .
My tenons are .675" and .875" , so I have to open up holes .
So if you place stitch rings at all positions how many different sizes do you have to build?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
So if you place stitch rings at all positions how many different sizes do you have to build?
Two would do it . You can make a dowel that fits the hole of the jig and the rings .

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When making Brass or copper shims, I have a semi fixture that I use. It has a plate with a spigot on it, that is held normally in the 4 jaw chuck. The layers of shim are places between two plates of sacrificial Al plates. Clamped through the corners, and then bore the inner hole. They can then be transferred to a mandrel for OD trim, or you can use a clamp washer and bolt tightly through the centre. Then carefully trim away the outside corners down to the diameter required. With care this will make very concentric shims if you are starting from sheet stock.