Tell me about the McDermott G-series cues.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a friend/teammate whose wife is dead-set on a blue cue. I did some research online and found this one and gave him this option for her: https://www.pooldawg.com/product/mcdermott-g201-pool-cue. I was just curious as to how a McD G-core series cue plays. I'm not a fan of blue cues, but this one is kina pretty.

How do they play, IYHO.

Maniac

If the intended recipient of the cue is a person whose main requirement is their cue be blue, the cue will play fantastic! :thumbup:

Its a McDermott, its a quality cue. They have sold thousands of cues with the G-Shafts, and based on reviews, I would say that most people like them. Anything past that is personal preference.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several and think they're about as much cue for the money as you're likely to find. All the reasons why have been stated, refuted and argued many times before so no need to re-hash.

But that's just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those shafts hit a bit stiff to me (they have an end carbon fiber thing I think) but a solid hit. Not really low deflection but seems like that is not a requirement. If they like colors on a cue, Viking makes a pretty decent stick also with interesting colors.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
End thread here.

Naw. For one thing, money is no object to this guy, especially money spent on his wife. And secondly, the McD just looks a hell of a lot nicer, especially the previously mentioned birds-eye maple and the wrap is very nice. The wrap on the Schmelke looks rather cheap-ish.

Maniac

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Naw. For one thing, money is no object to this guy, especially money spent on his wife. And secondly, the McD just looks a hell of a lot nicer, especially the previously mentioned birds-eye maple and the wrap is very nice. The wrap on the Schmelke looks rather cheap-ish.

Maniac

If money is not an issue, maybe this is better http://www.mcdermottcue.com/g230.php

All blue has a cheapish look about it.

Also this with a blue speck wrap http://www.mcdermottcue.com/g324.php

This is interesting but may need to be found on secondary market http://www.mcdermottcue.com/gs08c2.php

Last edited:

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend the lower model McDermott GS02 with the maple shaft. Under $200. I have played with one for 15 years and love it. Spend your extra cash on a quality tip.

Mcdermott GS02

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
All the cues y'all are linking are great-looking cues, but there's just something a bit off with all of them. First off, the wrapless models are out because she prefers linen. One of them just has too much green in it and one of them has a lot of blue and a linen wrap, but just doesn't have the ringwork and detail that my choice in the OP has on top of not being that much more inexpensive.

I really think the one I linked in my OP is the perfect one for her. Her husband liked it too. The object of my thread is to acquire feedback on the way the cue plays, in your humble opinions.

Maniac

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Blue you say? The A-428 here...A-480 on page 2 if you want wrap.

http://www.vikingcue.com/new-viking-models-for-2018/
Yes, but spring for the upgrade to the Vikore shaft. I am a big fan of Viking and have played a 12.5 mm Vikore shaft for years. They get too pricey with their high end stuff but the ones you mention are a good value. Several online and Ebay sellers discount them and still allow choosing shaft, weight and other options.

The A538 is up there in price for a production cue but I think a lady would appreciate the detail.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea what type of cue your friend is used to but based on my experience with my cue with a g core shaft it plays great. I have had mine for around 5 years and actually it was purchased for me as a christmas gift.

It has not been my full time player because I have no such animal. I have several cues and and pull one out of the closet every so often just because. :grin-square: Just this week I pulled a meucci out if the closet after playing 3 months straight with the McDermott. I normally do not play that long with the same cue but i was really liking the play of the McDermott. Like I said.....its around 5 years old and have had no issues with it at all.

I looked at the cue you linked and think its well worth the money but as the saying goes ....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I say if you and your friends husband thinks she will like it then buy it.

I did as you requested .:grin-square: I answered your question and did not suggest you buy a different cue or brand .:grin-square:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I have a friend/teammate whose wife is dead-set on a blue cue. I did some research online and found this one and gave him this option for her: https://www.pooldawg.com/product/mcdermott-g201-pool-cue. I was just curious as to how a McD G-core series cue plays. I'm not a fan of blue cues, but this one is kina pretty.

How do they play, IYHO.

Maniac

I've no experience with the McD G-core but I did buy 3 McD's in early to mid 2017. I gave one to my kid for his b-day and one to the girl who cuts my hair. The one I kept hits them very well, very solid. I bought them because I know from past experience McD is a good cue. That said, I will say dealing with McD specifically ( I bought them right from McD, not a dealer ) was problematic. I found them to be unorganized, not particularly motivated to get me what I wanted ( and paid for ) and flat out dropped the ball on an extra shaft I ordered. Ok, it was 150.00 instead of the 200.00 most others in that range of cue-maker charges, but... still. I was not a happy camper. And that was really how I felt dealing with them from A to Z. So, my experience? Good, solid cues, REALLY bad customer service.