Test Your POOL KNOWLEDGE … Take New Pool QUIZZES

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
94% on the terminology quiz. I got dyslexic and read one of the questions backasswards.

I'm scared to try the physics quiz. I majored in physics, but that was 40 years ago, and I might embarrass myself. :oops:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
94% on the terminology quiz.

Good score.

I got dyslexic and read one of the questions backasswards.

You are not the only one. It is actually difficult to not make silly mistakes when there are so many questions.

I'm scared to try the physics quiz. I majored in physics, but that was 40 years ago, and I might embarrass myself. :oops:

You don't need to know "physics" to do well on the pool physics quiz. You just need to be aware of all the important effects that come into play when shooting pool at a high level.

Good luck.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I missed one on the terminology quiz - I put “inside edge” for half ball hit rather than “outside edge” because I’m an edgit.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good score. Did you miss any because of confusing wording. If so, please let me know so I can make improvements.

Do you or others see this as a problem? I did that on purpose if the questions included both "terminology" and "physics" elements. I also was assuming that not everybody would take both quizzes. And if they did, a few "gimmies" here and there aren't a bad thing (especially if somebody answered incorrectly on the first quiz and then got it right on the 2nd quiz). What do you guys think? Should I replace all duplicate questions?

Thanks for the input.

The only confusing ones I remember were as follows:

* You ask for "regulation" size table, not "standard" pro size tournament tables. Any 2x1 size table can be within the accepted size regulations.

* The correcr answer for 9ball breaking rule question needs to be worded exactly as the rule is written...."
"On the break shot, a minimum of three object balls must either be pocketed, or touch the head string line, or a combination of both.". Your answer leaves out, "or a combination of both". That's a bit ambiguous.

* I guessed on two bank questions (47 and 48, I think) where you asked about aiming an inside or outside bank thicker or thinner. I wasn't sure what you meant by inside or outside. When back-cutting a bank it has to be hit thinner, but I wasn't sure if you were calling that an inside bank or outside bank. Picturing the shots now, it seems that an outside bank would be outside of the natural straight on bank angle, and inside would be inside that angle. But the correcr answers don't follow that logic. Like I said, I guessed.

There's plenty of good information in both quizzes. And the repeat questions provide solid learning opportunities. So no problem there.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
* I guessed on two bank questions (47 and 48, I think) where you asked about aiming an inside or outside bank thicker or thinner. I wasn't sure what you meant by inside or outside. When back-cutting a bank it has to be hit thinner, but I wasn't sure if you were calling that an inside bank or outside bank. Picturing the shots now, it seems that an outside bank would be outside of the natural straight on bank angle, and inside would be inside that angle. But the correcr answers don't follow that logic. Like I said, I guessed.
That question got me too, I tried to picture what it was talking about but I ended up guessing.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The only confusing ones I remember were as follows:

* You ask for "regulation" size table, not "standard" pro size tournament tables. Any 2x1 size table can be within the accepted size regulations.

Thanks. I've added the word "standard" to the question.

* The correcr answer for 9ball breaking rule question needs to be worded exactly as the rule is written...."
"On the break shot, a minimum of three object balls must either be pocketed, or touch the head string line, or a combination of both.". Your answer leaves out, "or a combination of both". That's a bit ambiguous.

Good idea. I've made the change.

* I guessed on two bank questions (47 and 48, I think) where you asked about aiming an inside or outside bank thicker or thinner. I wasn't sure what you meant by inside or outside. When back-cutting a bank it has to be hit thinner, but I wasn't sure if you were calling that an inside bank or outside bank. Picturing the shots now, it seems that an outside bank would be outside of the natural straight on bank angle, and inside would be inside that angle. But the correct answers don't follow that logic. Like I said, I guessed.

With an outside cut, the CB hits the OB on the outside of the banking direction. With an inside cut, the CB hits the OB on the inside of the banking direction. For demonstrations of the cut-induced-spin effects for each, see the 4:56 point in my "Aim KICKS and BANKS Like a Pro … The Only DIAMOND SYSTEM You Need to Know" video.

There's plenty of good information in both quizzes. And the repeat questions provide solid learning opportunities. So no problem there.

Thanks again for your feedback and input. I appreciate it.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good score. Many people bomb the pool physics quiz.

Please let me know if the wording on any of those could/should be improved to make them more clear.
After I reviewed my wrong answers and re read the questions, it made sense. It was difficult to picture some of them. The inside/outside bank got me too. Maybe cut bank/ backcut bank would have been better terms to use?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
After I reviewed my wrong answers and re read the questions, it made sense. It was difficult to picture some of them. The inside/outside bank got me too. Maybe cut bank/ backcut bank would have been better terms to use?

Thanks for the input.

FYI, I've changed "an outside-cut bank" to "an outside-cut (a back-cut) bank" and "an inside-cut bank" to "an inside-cut (a cross-over) bank" to make things more clear.

boogieman

With an outside cut, the CB hits the OB on the outside of the banking direction. With an inside cut, the CB hits the OB on the inside of the banking direction.
So lets say the balls were the same in both shots, CB is on natural banking line near corner pocket, OB is on a natural bank line, and you're banking into the side. An outside cut is sending OB further down table (more towards the far corner on the same rail CB is on), an inside cut is sending it not as far down the table? I pictured it as just the opposite as I was thinking in relation to the OB hit on the rail.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
So lets say the balls were the same in both shots, CB is on natural banking line near corner pocket, OB is on a natural bank line, and you're banking into the side. An outside cut is sending OB further down table (more towards the far corner on the same rail CB is on), an inside cut is sending it not as far down the table? I pictured it as just the opposite as I was thinking in relation to the OB hit on the rail.

Here are the standard definitions from the billiards glossary:

inside cut: term used to describe a bank shot where the CB hits the OB on the side toward the bank direction, relative to the aiming line. The CB imparts natural (running) cut-induced spin to the OB.
outside cut: term used to describe a bank shot where the CB hits the OB on the side away from the bank direction, relative to the aiming line. The CB imparts reverse cut-induced spin on the OB.

And they are both demonstrated at the 7:19 point in this video:

boogieman

Here are the standard definitions from the billiards glossary:

inside cut: term used to describe a bank shot where the CB hits the OB on the side toward the bank direction, relative to the aiming line. The CB imparts natural (running) cut-induced spin to the OB.
outside cut: term used to describe a bank shot where the CB hits the OB on the side away from the bank direction, relative to the aiming line. The CB imparts reverse cut-induced spin on the OB.

And they are both demonstrated at the 7:19 point in this video:

Thanks, that cleared it up. I feel slightly less ignorant today! 🙂

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're welcome. I aim to swerve. 🤓

That's always a good thing. I used to always tell my engineering students that I feel more stupid every day because the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Be careful Dave or I might start quizzing you. 😁

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Physics: 100
Terms: 98 (I think I should get 99, since I at least got the physics of the shot right)
Terms 29.jpg

Here's the important score: Dave taught me about 100% of the stuff I now know.

Fun stuff, Dave!

pj
chgo

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Be careful Dave or I might start quizzing you. 😁

If it deals with pool terminology or pool physics, I'm ready. Bring it on! If it has to do with pool player or pool industry history, don't bother ... I give up already. :cry:

Have you tried the new quizzes yet? If not, please give them a try and let me know if you have any feedback/suggestions/complaints.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Physics: 100
Terms: 98 (I think I should get 99, since I at least got the physics of the shot right)
View attachment 605202

Here's the important score: Dave taught me about 100% of the stuff I now know.

Fun stuff, Dave!

pj
chgo

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Nice job with the high scores!

However, I am disappointed with your miss. The 3-time-the-angle system applies only for very full rolling-ball hits. :eek:

Gotcha! :cool: