testing a cues straightness

leonkush

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

I have rolled the same cue on several tables and on occasions it rolls dead straight on others it rolls out. This is probably due to the individual cloth or slates etc which are not always consistent

My question is - what is the best way to determine the straightness of a cue?

Any suggestions out there would be appreciated.

cheers

leonkush

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK I have just read this from the John Parris website:

To check your cue for straightness. Close one eye and sight down the cue, from the end of the butt through to the tip (as if you are sighting a rifle) whilst turning the cue as you sight down it. The cue should look perfectly straight and not appear to turn to one side. This is a much more reliable method of checking a cue for straightness compared to the traditional method of rolling a cue on the snooker table. Modern cues from most manufacturers are made with a slightly thicker butt half to give the cue more power. Compared to a straight taper that cues traditionally had, the gradual taper used today will naturally make the cue rock or wobble when rolled on the snooker table.

any more suggestions

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One might throw it on the floor with a lottle twist and see if it comes to rest with the same point up every time. One could put a Sharpie mark on the top every time to keep track of landing points.

Or not.

Another way is to put the edge of the butt on top of the cushion with tip laying on playing surface, rolling at different speeds and watching underside.

A lathe and someone with know-how is prob best, but everyone here touches pool tables...

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Try placing the butt end of the cue on the table and have the cue rest on the rail with the tip en hanging over the edge of the table. The joint of the cue should be on the rail. Now roll it. You might be surprised.

I'm not saying it is a accurate test but I know allot of people that swear by it.

The best way would be to put it on a lathe full length and run a indicator down the length of the cue. But does it really matter that much?!?

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK I have just read this from the John Parris website:

To check your cue for straightness. Close one eye and sight down the cue, from the end of the butt through to the tip (as if you are sighting a rifle) whilst turning the cue as you sight down it. The cue should look perfectly straight and not appear to turn to one side. This is a much more reliable method of checking a cue for straightness compared to the traditional method of rolling a cue on the snooker table. Modern cues from most manufacturers are made with a slightly thicker butt half to give the cue more power. Compared to a straight taper that cues traditionally had, the gradual taper used today will naturally make the cue rock or wobble when rolled on the snooker table.

any more suggestions

Yup, I've done this for years. Much more reliable than rolling. I don't agree about the size of the butt but since that comes from a Snooker site I don't think it applies to pool cues.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

I have rolled the same cue on several tables and on occasions it rolls dead straight on others it rolls out. This is probably due to the individual cloth or slates etc which are not always consistent

cheers
Although not sold for that purpose this product is excellent for testing cues in multiple aspects of straightness. You just place them as different places on the cue and rotate it 1/4 turns. I like to place a small target at the tip and you can detect the slightest bit of roll off and isolate where it is. Of course I made my own, but for the price this is a nifty product.
http://www.pocketlathe.com/more-Products.asp?id=11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opEt4nwU1ug&feature=related

Last edited:

bud02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try placing the butt end of the cue on the table and have the cue rest on the rail with the tip en hanging over the edge of the table. The joint of the cue should be on the rail. Now roll it. You might be surprised.

I'm not saying it is a accurate test but I know allot of people that swear by it.

The best way would be to put it on a lathe full length and run a indicator down the length of the cue. But does it really matter that much?!?

I do the same, the JOSS in my sig is dead straight using this method as well.
I've seen high end cues "tips" draw a circle the size of a quarter using this test.

Last edited:

Siz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of interest, why do you want to test it for straightness?

leonkush

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am thinking of selling the cue and want to be sure that I describe it properly to potential buyers. I am overseas in the UK therefore do not want any issues after i have shipped it to the USA. Also thankyou for everyones comments

Last edited:

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
One might throw it on the floor with a lottle twist and see if it comes to rest with the same point up every time. One could put a Sharpie mark on the top every time to keep track of landing points.

I tried this recommendation...it didn't work!

:rolleyes:;):rolleyes:

Jason

roadwarrior

Registered
I simply roll my cues with the shaft on a glass top dining table to check for straightness. It is for sure a flat surface compared to pool tables or floors and no need to sight down the cue.

Hope this helps! :smile:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Hello,

cheers

How can anything be completely straight on Round Planet?

The only way to check a cue to see if it straight is to compensate for the curve of the planet. To do this you must use a lathe that has been leveled and zeroed for this compensation and the cue must be spun between a live and dead center. You must also have and use a dial indicator at specific locations along the length of the cue to check to see if there is any run out that can not be seen with the naked eye.

Hope this helps, and never forget rolling a cue on pool table is only an estimate. Also remember if you roll a cue and it wobbles that doesn't mean that the cue is not straight, it only means that something is not aligned properly. It could be the table, the joint of the cue, the finish, the cues wrap or the cue may be completely warped. My advise is to take your cue to some one with the knowledge and equipment to properly evaluate how straight your cue is.

JIMO