thanks CJ Wiley

bauercrew

Registered
This may be a wasted time to read for the more seasoned players buy here goes:
I am new to billiards just been shooting since august 2012 skill level 3 on our apa league. Really struggle with this game so I got a couple DVDs on subject so I seen people talk about CJ Wiley so I contact through e-mail he suggested his UPS dvd,got it and watched and WOW what an eye opener, I really got into the shot alignment and aproachment .and he really talks about the consistency aspect and uses archery as an
Example and I thought WOW i can really understand when he talks about consistency
Because myself I shot field archery competitively for many years and even took state trophy in my class plus a lot of regional competitions he is definitely right about archery you NEED to consistently use same anchor point and grip for archery if not you will get NO where so I took the same approach for pool I started using his method of pre-shot routine and did it the same ALL time took a while to get into that routine BUT WOW I’m actually making more consistent shots ,and before that when I would play a level 4 or 5 player I WAS GETTING creamed ,it was so embarrassing (in a fun way) so couple weeks go by we play and I asked team capt to put me up against a 5 if he could, so he did and guess what I beat him ,granted it was only 2 games but this guy beat me terribly before I had to make a safety shot that turned the whole game around for me so did I technically beat him maybe not but I was pleased to walk away with a WIN for a change, so now I can at least give these level 4 and 5 guys a run for their money L.O.L granted I’m defiantly not running a rack any time soon L.O.L . NOW where I’m really struggling is on the BREAK it seems that IF I can make a ball or two on break I actually give my opponent a really hard time but I seems if they break forget it I don’t get a chance that often but I guess the break will be another whole lesson L.O.L
SO MY POINT :something SO simple as BASIC principles like shot alignment and consistently doing it. WOOOOW .AGAIN THANKS MR CJ WILEY

AND NO I AM AFFILIATED WIYH THIS GENTLEMAN

frankw

Semi Retired Bodybuilder
Silver Member
Nice job! I agree, CJ and the TOI has brought about the quickest increase in my game.

Keep it up!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
get down on a pool shot while drawing the cue back (like a bow)

This may be a wasted time to read for the more seasoned players buy here goes:
I am new to billiards just been shooting since august 2012 skill level 3 on our apa league. Really struggle with this game so I got a couple DVDs on subject so I seen people talk about CJ Wiley so I contact through e-mail he suggested his UPS dvd,got it and watched and WOW what an eye opener, I really got into the shot alignment and aproachment .and he really talks about the consistency aspect and uses archery as an
Example and I thought WOW i can really understand when he talks about consistency
Because myself I shot field archery competitively for many years and even took state trophy in my class plus a lot of regional competitions he is definitely right about archery you NEED to consistently use same anchor point and grip for archery if not you will get NO where so I took the same approach for pool I started using his method of pre-shot routine and did it the same ALL time took a while to get into that routine BUT WOW I’m actually making more consistent shots ,and before that when I would play a level 4 or 5 player I WAS GETTING creamed ,it was so embarrassing (in a fun way) so couple weeks go by we play and I asked team capt to put me up against a 5 if he could, so he did and guess what I beat him ,granted it was only 2 games but this guy beat me terribly before I had to make a safety shot that turned the whole game around for me so did I technically beat him maybe not but I was pleased to walk away with a WIN for a change, so now I can at least give these level 4 and 5 guys a run for their money L.O.L granted I’m defiantly not running a rack any time soon L.O.L . NOW where I’m really struggling is on the BREAK it seems that IF I can make a ball or two on break I actually give my opponent a really hard time but I seems if they break forget it I don’t get a chance that often but I guess the break will be another whole lesson L.O.L
SO MY POINT :something SO simple as BASIC principles like shot alignment and consistently doing it. WOOOOW .AGAIN THANKS MR CJ WILEY

AND NO I AM AFFILIATED WIYH THIS GENTLEMAN

That's great, it's always sweet to move up and beat players at higher levels in competition. The archery chapter in that video has helped a lot of people I've worked with and I have a cheap bow and arrow I use to show several key points about how you get down on a pool shot while drawing the cue back (like a bow). The Sword Chapter is very useful as well.

This movement is essential because if you try to do it after you're down you will have no "coil" in your stoke and basically not power, which usually results in "lunging" after contact. I spent many hours shooting a bow as a kid and still shoot a compound bow at my house to "keep in stroke."

If you have any specific questions about the break I'll be happy to answer them. It's all about technique and I know a few "tricks" to enhance your break right away. 'The Game is the Teacher'

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ,

I am particularly interested in your "lunging" comment. I continue to struggle with my stroke. Could you elaborate a little more on this? I have all 3 of your DVD's and I also attribute your instruction to massive improvements on my game, especially in pocketing balls.

I understand what you mean by drawing the cue back, as I use to hunt with a bow. I just don't equate the lunging comment if you don't do this on the way down.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks CJ

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lunging is when you see a player try to power the ball by using their shoulder and ar

CJ,

I am particularly interested in your "lunging" comment. I continue to struggle with my stroke. Could you elaborate a little more on this? I have all 3 of your DVD's and I also attribute your instruction to massive improvements on my game, especially in pocketing balls.

I understand what you mean by drawing the cue back, as I use to hunt with a bow. I just don't equate the lunging comment if you don't do this on the way down.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks CJ

Sure, the "lunging" is what I see players do that don't know how to "draw back their bow," so to speak. This, in pool terms is creating coil or resistance in their forearm/wrist/fingers so they have something to release into the cue ball.

Remember, the cue ball is only 6 oz. so you don't need "brute force," however, you do need speed and acceleration through the ball for accuracy and precision. Lunging is when you see a player try to power the ball by using their shoulder and arm. This is, not only unnecessary, it's also detrimental to what you're trying to achieve.

I do this by cocking my wrist slightly like I was cocking up a hammer to drive to a nail. The wrist motion is vastly misunderstood, and was a topic of a thread I did a few months ago. I think it's name was "Wrists- Power Catalyst, or Just Along for the Ride".....or something like that. Maybe you can search it and read more about what I wrote on the subject.

This would be a great video {to get into depth} on how to develop a championship stoke using the wrist/fingers/forearm, instead of just arm, which has very little touch or feel for the game. The game is played in the hands, and that's where you develop the stoke. imho 'The Game is the Teacher' www.cjwiley.com

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure, the "lunging" is what I see players do that don't know how to "draw back their bow," so to speak. This, in pool terms is creating coil or resistance in their forearm/wrist/fingers so they have something to release into the cue ball.

Remember, the cue ball is only 6 oz. so you don't need "brute force," however, you do need speed and acceleration through the ball for accuracy and precision. Lunging is when you see a player try to power the ball by using their shoulder and arm. This is, not only unnecessary, it's also detrimental to what you're trying to achieve.

I do this by cocking my wrist slightly like I was cocking up a hammer to drive to a nail. The wrist motion is vastly misunderstood, and was a topic of a thread I did a few months ago. I think it's name was "Wrists- Power Catalyst, or Just Along for the Ride".....or something like that. Maybe you can search it and read more about what I wrote on the subject.

This would be a great video {to get into depth} on how to develop a championship stoke using the wrist/fingers/forearm, instead of just arm, which has very little touch or feel for the game. The game is played in the hands, and that's where you develop the stoke. imho 'The Game is the Teacher' www.cjwiley.com

This would be a great little PPV video. I'm very interested.
When you get the time.

Thanks

John

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
what ever happened to that "wrist thread"?

This would be a great little PPV video. I'm very interested.
When you get the time.

Thanks

John

Yes, I wanted to do that after the TOI Video, what ever happened to that "wrist thread"? Did they take that down, I can't remember, that was back when there were a lot of "distractions". ;)

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This would be a great video {to get into depth} on how to develop a championship stoke using the wrist/fingers/forearm, instead of just arm, which has very little touch or feel for the game. The game is played in the hands, and that's where you develop the stoke. imho 'The Game is the Teacher' www.cjwiley.com[/QUOTE

CJ,

Before I comment I would just like to thank you for all the information that you give out on these forums. I have asked you questions before and have always received a quick and complete response. You are doing a lot for the little guy.

From what I am reading from your description, I bet that is exactly what I am doing, using my shoulder and arm to stroke the ball. I have read the wrist thread and I have worked on cocking my wrist to eliminate the sideways movement. I guess maybe I didn't fully understand what you were saying in using the wrist adequately when stroking the ball. I'll work on this some more and try and eliminate this lunging factor from my stroke.

I will go back and re read your thread on the wrist action.

Many thanks CJ,

Dougster

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dougster.

The index finger and thumb are the steering wheel, the other three fingers are the engine.

In CJ's Wrist thread you will find where he states that the action (speed) of the cue is controlled by the fingers. Your arm is just along for the ride.:)

John

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
using a sword and keeping the blade straight up and down

This would be a great video {to get into depth} on how to develop a championship stoke using the wrist/fingers/forearm, instead of just arm, which has very little touch or feel for the game. The game is played in the hands, and that's where you develop the stoke. imho 'The Game is the Teacher' www.cjwiley.com[/QUOTE

CJ,

Before I comment I would just like to thank you for all the information that you give out on these forums. I have asked you questions before and have always received a quick and complete response. You are doing a lot for the little guy.

From what I am reading from your description, I bet that is exactly what I am doing, using my shoulder and arm to stroke the ball. I have read the wrist thread and I have worked on cocking my wrist to eliminate the sideways movement. I guess maybe I didn't fully understand what you were saying in using the wrist adequately when stroking the ball. I'll work on this some more and try and eliminate this lunging factor from my stroke.

I will go back and re read your thread on the wrist action.

Many thanks CJ,

Dougster

One of the main things is to create a "slot" or "track" with your hand that makes the cue go perfectly straight. The one fundamental that everyone must do to play great pool is hit the cue ball straight. There's no way around this one, and the key is in your hand. I show using a sword and keeping the blade straight up and down (in my 'Ultimate Pool Secrets' DVD) this works great, and you can get a similar effect using a yard stick.

There's some "trade secrets" to how the forearm/wrist/fingers are utilized in the pool stroke, and I really need to show this in more detail. I show how the wrist works compared to other sports in 'Billiards Inside Secrets', however, there's enough content to make a 60 minute DVD if I wanted to cover it in detail. 'The Game is the Teacher'

vakosel

Registered
Excellent info !

I would like to give my feedback too from the other side of Atlantic , Greece.

In this DVD CJ reveals an excellent system of which its biggest strength is
Consistency...
What has helped me more ( i just tried it 2 hours!) is this..Controlling the cue ball . This is amazing .. I just don't do that much like spinning or taking magic rabbits from hats.. As CJ mentions somewhere after pocketing the object ball - i am quite good on that- the cue ball is floating not flying... :wink:

Thanks CJ
Looking forward for the wrist DVD ! :thumbup:

Kostas

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Again CJ

Well, each morning I play from 8:00 a.m. 'til 12:00 noon. I am on the pool table for a period of four hours. Needless to say, this is exhausting work every morning.

I have gotten so good at dividing the pocket into 3 distinct parts that I can now thread the object ball into an incredibly tight area between two obstacle balls, or one obstacle ball and a rail and pot the object ball almost always without failure.

I used to be extremely excited when I could do this once-in-a-while, but now it has become second-nature all thanks to this TOI system.

As I work my way around the table each game and each morning, I am finding more and more ways to understand how much "throw" is involved and how much "inside" to employ.

This has all been a wonderful revelation and I am very thankful to CJ.:smile:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
TOI will increase your game as much as the time you put into it.

is there a difference between the dvd and pay per view?

They're both 90 minutes. I had some issues with the 2nd order of TOI videos, and we not only worked out, the 3rd shippment now plays on all DVD players, computers, and even on Blu Ray.

I'm getting so much positive feedback and I'm glad most of you realized this was indeed what I represented. TOI will increase your game as much as the time you put into it.

If anyone has any questions I can help save time on improving the TOI System asap...just email me at thegameistheteacher@gmail.com

Thanks Everyone, and Play Well.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Well, each morning I play from 8:00 a.m. 'til 12:00 noon. I am on the pool table for a period of four hours. Needless to say, this is exhausting work every morning.

I have gotten so good at dividing the pocket into 3 distinct parts that I can now thread the object ball into an incredibly tight area between two obstacle balls, or one obstacle ball and a rail and pot the object ball almost always without failure.

I used to be extremely excited when I could do this once-in-a-while, but now it has become second-nature all thanks to this TOI system.

As I work my way around the table each game and each morning, I am finding more and more ways to understand how much "throw" is involved and how much "inside" to employ.

I've done what you refer to but not as consistently as you seem to be doing it, but I'm not spending 4 hours a day either. It seems like anything, the more time you put in the better at it you will get.

Congratulations, You seem well on your way to better pool.

Regards to you &

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I haven't had a chance to put in my initial 3 hour session, but have piddled around a little with it and see that it has merit if I would apply myself, which I hope to be able to do in March. Have the replacement dvd's been sent out yet? Thanks for all you do here, CJ.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't had a chance to put in my initial 3 hour session, but have piddled around a little with it and see that it has merit if I would apply myself, which I hope to be able to do in March. Have the replacement dvd's been sent out yet? Thanks for all you do here, CJ.

If you haven't received yours please email your address and email you used in your initial order to
thegameistheteacher@gmail.com and I'll track it for you and make sure you get it asap.

Thanks for your patience and I apologize for anyone's inconvenience. This TOI Technique is like gold, there were just a few hoops I had to jump through to get the best quality from the manufacturer. 'The Game is the Teacher'

Thanks, "rayjay".

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
.you're about ready for some "advanced TOI" to put in your arsenal.

That's great, when you can hit the 3 Parts of the pocket at will you can easily get back in position, even if you're on the "wrong side of the ball". This is a huge advantage because players that don't use the TOI Technique must do it with spin, we do it with accuracy. 'The Game is the Teacher'

It's great to hear of your progress "Drawback"....you're about ready for some "advanced TOI" to put in your arsenal. ;)

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's great, when you can hit the 3 Parts of the pocket at will you can easily get back in position, even if you're on the "wrong side of the ball". This is a huge advantage because players that don't use the TOI Technique must do it with spin, we do it with accuracy. 'The Game is the Teacher'

It's great to hear of your progress "Drawback"....you're about ready for some "advanced TOI" to put in your arsenal. ;)

Ooohh man. :frown:

What is advanced TOI? Inquiring minds want to know. :smile:

Well my TOI PPV has hit its 30 day mark. Watched all the chapters about 6 times and some chapters even more.

CJ, you stated that it took you thousands of hours to master TOI, I only have a couple of hundred hours of practice. Long way to go.

I was on youtube the other day and noticed a clip of Mary Avina doing some shots. So, I did a search on YT using Mary's name. That lady is something and can play. Anyone that can masse a ball with one hand and make the shot is okay in my book.

I guess the next PPV will be on the grip and stroke. I hope.

Thanks for all of the time and effort to help us out. :smile:

John

Six Shooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night's 8 ball league matches were better than they have been the past few weeks since I'm still implementing TOI. I was back in the 40's again.

Is anyone out there using this for 8 ball?

I find it fairly simple to use with 9/10 ball.

8 ball is still giving me some problems though while trying to implement it. Am I the only one having a tougher time at playing 8 ball with TOI or did I just miss the boat? Lol. At present, I'm still coming into shots where I think spin would be better to use.

CJ, can you perhaps give some guidance here please?

Overall, I'm still enjoying opening up the new world with TOI but still have some work to do at it.

I give credit to the OP and again add my many, many thanks to CJ once more.

Every week there seems to be a little more light at then end of the tunnel.