Thanks RandyG, I Quit a Month Ago

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Does anyone else refrain from playing leisurely?

pretty much.....i told a guy last week that called me up to come play, said no and he asked why i said it was only good for the automatic stall

as the leisure play is often brought on by those that aint trying to learn, but are going pro, wont bet a dime but always talking about action, or just plain aggravating players.......

my stress level has gone down quite a few notches since i "quit" (yea yea i still pop them around with people ever so often) and I'm sure glad for that.......alot of those "players" that were always up my butt causing said aggravation/stress were just what I call "pro-hoe's" anyways.

They want you to play all the time with them, its talk talk talk but never listen, never work at anything really, just trying to hit balls with a good player so maybe it will diffuse into them or something, they stand in front your every shot, grab the chalk from right in front of you while your shooting........

thats it! I'll just stand in his shot line every time and maybe I'll intimidate him into losing :)

Pro-hoes come in two variants........one which is tolerable the other is not imop.

The first kind is that of the opposite sex that always shoots for the best in the group in whatever the group is into........football and baseball players call them cleat chasers......so effectively by being the QB, or Top Shot gets you the girl/guy. Happens all the time. When these people are into the money aspect we call them gold-diggers.

Now the latter version is basically what you call a "ass-kisser", "brown-noser" etc.........they are in the arena so they are going to be ranked in the hierarchy.

Being that their play isn't prolific enough to even have a ranking, they croon about how they are going to be this or that......but they can't get anywhere b/c its a farce and they run in a circle.......so they befriend you, to gain knowledge (by diffusion remember b/c their mouths are open and ears closed) and status in the pool hall culture.

They love you to your face, but as soon as you turn around they are talking sh*t........if you leave their circle they just find the next phallus for their distinguished palates. They use you FOR NO REASON (no listen no learn) you try to help and you get hated for being informed and accomplished in skill.

LMFAO BUT YET THEY ALL WANT TO BE THE NEXT EARL.........

i'll always shoot them around with nice decent forebearing people.......but for the ones who have given me so much headache and aggravation......I cut them and those places out of my daily routines like the cancer it was.

If given the choice to keep all my knowledge to myself or share it with these bastards.........I'd rather not even show up to where they thrive.

WHY? It upsets me first of all, and secondly there are people out there that are serious and have good questions and listen very well and they do deserve my time........not the others, never again.

You can lead a horse to water, but if he don't drink either leave him there to die or put a bullet in his head......either way your only hurting yourself hanging out with the horse that don't swig the H2O

I know i went off on a little rant, but i quit playing like that because of the stress they put on me........i can deal with the automatic stall, i refuse to deal with others encroaching on me killing what little zen i got left lol.

My game has never been better physically and mentally

-Grey Ghost-

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
The only thing I do with friends is try not to run my mouth as much!

LOL that's interesting. You are aware you run your mouth and only care to control it with friends. :scratchhead:

Anyway, for me it all about desire. The true desire has long gone for me, and I play sociably only. I find myself experimenting while playing sometimes even when playing friends who play very well.

It seems there has to be something that triggers that killer desire and then I am able to play seriously.

The strange thing is, I want to play seriously ALL THE TIME, I just can't make myself do it consciously much anymore.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
There are other ways to play socially while keeping the challenge...

1) Difficult handicaps for yourself
2) Go for a difficult offensive shot when you might otherwise take an easy safety
3) other?

Shinobi,
The handicaps for yourself is fine if the other person is competitive like you are but if it is social play, I find that people almost consider it a sleight.

Competition is something I love. I enjoy competing and there are very few things I would rather do. But in one way it is business and business isn't fun. Over and over when I start competing at something I forget that I started doing it for fun.

Once in awhile I play with basically nonplaying friends or family and I sometimes have a beginner want to hit a few balls with me. As rotten as I am now if I don't kick things out of overdrive it isn't going to be fun for them or for me.

The same is true of a handful of other pursuits. I start casually and then somebody mentions a match. "Match, did you say match??" My eyes start to glare and my hands twitch a bit. Soon every time I get a chance I am practicing for the next match instead of relaxing at a pursuit that was once a simple pleasure. Some pursuits I am able to move back and forth between fun and serious play like pool, some things will never really be fun again.

I'm getting too close to my second childhood to not try to keep some fun in things.

Hu
You need to relax. :D:D

Both are fun, but a different kind of fun. Playing with friends, chatting, maybe drinking is a social type of fun. Competing seriously in gambling and tournaments is more of a personal type of fun. I think both are important to keep the game fresh and interesting.

If I play with non competitive friends, I will not attempt to beat them. I will play games within games, often playing difficult shots, missing easy shots, and either playing safeties or leaving them with the cue ball two feet from the object ball with an easy shot, depending upon how strong their ego is. I make extra attempts for THEM to have a good time. If I'm playing socially, I play to be sure they have a good time and what I do during that time will be dependent upon what my friends are capable of doing.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
If I play with non competitive friends, I will not attempt to beat them. I will play games within games, often playing difficult shots, missing easy shots, and either playing safeties

Okay, okay, I confess to doing this on occasion, even for someones grandmother ;). But....sometimes when I do this and lose a game I could have easily won, I see some form of gloating from my opponent. I don't do it, but I feel the need to tell them the reason why they won was because I was taking shots that I normally wouldn't take. If I see gloating from an opponent that I took it easy on, then it's balls-to-the-wall from that point on!!!

Maniac

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
There are other ways to play socially while keeping the challenge...

1) Difficult handicaps for yourself
2) Go for a difficult offensive shot when you might otherwise take an easy safety
3) other?

There's another thread about this recently, but a way that friends of mine used to handicap themselves playing me when I was just starting was to play what we now call "Call Ahead". 8-ball, call pocket, but you have to not only call the current ball and pocket that you are shooting, but the next ball and it's pocket. (Before you shoot the first one.)

It got to be so much fun that I ended up playing that way as well. But initially it was a good way for them to make the game more difficult for themselves, and to keep me in the game. Not a gambling or tourney thing, just one of our regular nights at the pool room.