Thanks to the A-Hole who recommended using a +/-.005 machinist level for my table...

I disagree.

The OP was grousing that someone gave him bad advice and that a machinist level with .005 accuracy was inadequate...and he *had* to buy a master precision level with .0005 and called him names.

OK?

the difference between .005 and .0005 is a whole order of magnitude.
10 times the accuracy. The spec for the slate is nowhere near this flat and you are not recognizing the differance and saying he can calibrate it himself?? Really?

I doubt he understands the numbers he's talking about.

I wasn't arguing any of that. I simply gave some advice on how to use a very simple piece of equipment that few seem to understand.

OK?

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I disagree.

The OP was grousing that someone gave him bad advice and that a machinist level with .005 accuracy was inadequate...and he *had* to buy a master precision level with .0005 and called him names.

OK?

10 times the accuracy. The spec for the slate is nowhere near this flat and you are not recognizing the differance and saying he can calibrate it himself?? Really?

I also doubt he understands. But self-calibrating is straightforward and has been posted here before :

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=51342

Your comment "Who certified the calibration on this level?" is likely what caused the reply ... not sure any calibration service would do this as Starrett 98s can so easily be self-calibrated. Notice that levels are not listed here :

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/metrology-products/service/calibration-services

Dave

I disagree.

OK?

I wasn't saying a single thing about the OP. I was disagreeing with YOU saying that either level needed to be certified. I was disagreeing with YOU because YOU were giving bad advice.

I thought this site was about education...at least partly. I sought to educate when an obvious misunderstanding (perpetrated by one of the administrators/moderators of the site) was shown.

I understand more about tolerances than you could ever imagine. I've aligned spindles to under 5-tenths (that's five ten-thousandths of an inch) linearity over eight inches of travel. I do this for my work. I've aligned major machines to withing 0.005" repeatability over a 80ft x 16ft x 30" with rotations about X of +/-12deg and about Y of +/- 6deg.. I do this because the customers for whom we design machines (oh, yeah, I design these things) require it.

Best.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
You can use a good, bad, cheap, expensive or no level at all but still rely on rolling balls. An experienced guy with a good level will get it done faster but the so called bad advice is not the reason the OP didn't have a level table.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You can use a good, bad, cheap, expensive or no level at all but still rely on rolling balls. An experienced guy with a good level will get it done faster but the so called bad advice is not the reason the OP didn't have a level table.

A city snooker champion in our area, who was superintendent of maintenance at a
large company, showed up with a jack and a block of wood to level a 6x12 Gold Crown
we played on every Tuesday night for years. He felt that rolling balls gave him more info.

The OP's reaction to good (or bad) advice reminds me of a backgammon situation...
...he was the captain on my side in a chouette that allowed consulting....we were way
ahead and I told him to protect against a 6/1 roll (17 to 1) rather than a 6/6 roll (35 to 1)...
....so the guy rolls doubles sixes and won the game eventually....the guy gave me shit
for this excellent advice. :eek:.....next week he asked me for more advice...
...I told him to kill a chicken and examine the entrails....:rolleyes:

Soooo....I dare the OP to start another thread soliciting advice....:rotflmao1:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
A city snooker champion in our area, who was superintendent of maintenance at a
large company, showed up with a jack and a block of wood to level a 6x12 Gold Crown
we played on every Tuesday night for years. He felt that rolling balls gave him more info.

The OP's reaction to good (or bad) advice reminds me of a backgammon situation...
...he was the captain on my side in a chouette that allowed consulting....we were way
ahead and I told him to protect against a 6/1 roll (17 to 1) rather than a 6/6 roll (35 to 1)...
....so the guy rolls doubles sixes and won the game eventually....the guy gave me shit
for this excellent advice. :eek:.....next week he asked me for more advice...
...I told him to kill a chicken and examine the entrails....:rolleyes:

Soooo....I dare the OP to start another thread soliciting advice....:rotflmao1:

You know what they say about free advice...you get what you pay for

:smile:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You know what they say about free advice...you get what you pay for

Not always true, CB....if intelligent, free advice can come from the heart.
...when you pay for advice, sometimes the party feels compelled to give you advice...
....even if he doesn't understand the situation.

But in the end, we all have to take responsibility for our decisions, regardless of sources
of info.

There's an old saying in the horse game....
" If you know enough people at a racetrack, you can get a tip on every horse in every race."

( All conditions subject to change without notice )

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
I wasn't saying a single thing about the OP. I was disagreeing with YOU saying that either level needed to be certified. I was disagreeing with YOU because YOU were giving bad advice.

I thought this site was about education...at least partly. I sought to educate when an obvious misunderstanding (perpetrated by one of the administrators/moderators of the site) was shown.

I understand more about tolerances than you could ever imagine. I've aligned spindles to under 5-tenths (that's five ten-thousandths of an inch) linearity over eight inches of travel. I do this for my work. I've aligned major machines to withing 0.005" repeatability over a 80ft x 16ft x 30" with rotations about X of +/-12deg and about Y of +/- 6deg.. I do this because the customers for whom we design machines (oh, yeah, I design these things) require it.

Best.

Just ignore Mr. Wilson, he gets grumpy when he actually has to post outside of the funny gif/pic thread.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Not always true, CB....if intelligent, free advice can come from the heart.
...when you pay for advice, sometimes the party feels compelled to give you advice...
....even if he doesn't understand the situation.

But in the end, we all have to take responsibility for our decisions, regardless of sources
of info.

There's an old saying in the horse game....
" If you know enough people at a racetrack, you can get a tip on every horse in every race."

( All conditions subject to change without notice )

My father in-law retired as CFO of Samsonite, and started financial planning.
He must not of liked me, because he always gave me the old "you get what you pay for" line whenever I asked financial advice.

I gave out advice for 35-years, in a way, got paid, and at the end of my career advice is about all I did.
Lucky for me I was never wrong, for fear of being called out as an A-hole.
Off the record I don't think A-hole fits in this scenario.
Getting a question wrong doesn't make you an A-hole, but it does open things up to be called a dumb shit over the phone.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... but if I were in the practice of taking measurements on 0.030" thick cloth with a 0.005" level, I would have a custom base made with three hardened steel points which would sit more repeatedly on a soft surface.
Seems to me you would want the points made from slices off a pool ball.

Well said, thanks for getting where I was going with that. I was thinking of something that would actually rest on the slate through the cloth, but something that was pretty much the weight and the same diameter as a ball makes more sense.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A four foot parallel straight edge and a pair of 1,2,3 blocks to work extended points over cloth with .005 level will get it done.
It is better to set the slates before you cover.
make sure all 3 slates are true to the same plane.

bill

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A city snooker champion in our area, who was superintendent of maintenance at a large company, showed up with a jack and a block of wood to level a 6x12 Gold Crown we played on every Tuesday night for years. He felt that rolling balls gave him more info.

Did that 6x12 have snooker cloth on it ?

Balls are supposed to roll off on snooker cloth due to the nap on a perfectly level snooker table. (yeah I know, as if that game isn't hard enough without that aspect as well)

I suspect using a machinists level is the *ONLY* way to get a snooker table (napped cloth) dead level ?

I cant see why a pool table without napped cloth needs ball rolling as a final test for how level it is ?

If a ball rolls off on a pool table - surely you would *also* be able to see that the table isn't levelled correctly by putting a machinists level on it ?

Question:
Assume all 3 slates are DEAD level & true & stay that way.
Then :-
What else can cause a ball to 'roll off' ?
New cloth ? (weave tracking)
Non-Uniform Ball ?
Spin on the ball ? (side / english)
Anything else ?

Should ball rolling be used to test how well a table is levelled given that there are other variables besides how level the table is that can cause ball roll off ?

Cheers.

P.S. I love my Starret.