"The 10 Basic Shots of Pool", by Gene Robinson

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gene is friend of mine, and he wrote this book quite a few years ago. Recently I helped him get a new edition out, which can be found on lulu.com or on Amazon.

To be honest, I always told Gene that no one would be willing to put in the amount of work his book requires. I mean, it's called "The 10 Basic Shots of Pool" but each shot has dozens of variations. If a player practices each shot at least 20 or 30 times, they will shoot over 800,000 shots!

But I actually learned some things while helping Gene get the book republished and back on the market for the first time in nearly 20 years. He shares quite a bit of his pool knowledge in the book, definitely some gems to be found, some great advice.

Basically, it's a practice book, but it's the ultimate practice book. Everyone always says you have to hit a million balls to get good, but this is the only book that shows you how to do it. I told him he should subtitle it, "The HAMB Method". But I think his subtitle works well enough... "The Pool World's Practice Bible".

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

Jimmymack

Registered
Basically "systematically practice sinking object balls at every possible position on the table from every possible cue ball position on the table" There I just saved everyone $15. Sorry but there's nothing ground breaking here and certainly is no bible.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Basically "systematically practice sinking object balls at every possible position on the table from every possible cue ball position on the table" There I just saved everyone $15. Sorry but there's nothing ground breaking here and certainly is no bible.
Did you read the book or are you basing your "review" off of noting but what you imagine it to be?

Jimmymack

Registered
Did you read the book or are you basing your "review" off of noting but what you imagine it to be?
I bought it. I read it. I wish I didn’t. My “review” is legit. I only bought it because it’s recommended by Brian who’s book I did enjoy. Did you read it? What’s your opinion?

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought it. I read it. I wish I didn’t. My “review” is legit. I only bought it because it’s recommended by Brian who’s book I did enjoy. Did you read it? What’s your opinion?

I understand completely. For anyone looking to hit a million balls, the book has that going for it at least.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

It is pretty much as Jimmymack described it, though I was able to grab a nugget or two from the book.

Gene is very old-school, and I am not. So we have different ideas concerning what type of practice a player needs to do to really improve their game.

Gene's approach is what most people say a player needs to do....hit a million balls through hours and hours of table time. Sure, it works. I mean, Gene and many other pro players will attest to it. But I believe there are more efficient and effective learning methods than HAMB. With that said, for those who believe HAMB is the nuts, Gene's book is the only one I've seen that shows how to practice HAMB.

Jimmymack

Registered
“Becoming a strong player isn’t about hitting a million balls, Becoming a strong player is about hitting a few thousand balls the correct way” - Tor Lowry.

Anyone who wants to learn how to properly practice their ball pocketing should get Tor’s Pattern Play collection.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
“Becoming a strong player isn’t about hitting a million balls, Becoming a strong player is about hitting a few thousand balls the correct way” - Tor Lowry.

Anyone who wants to learn how to properly practice their ball pocketing should get Tor’s Pattern Play collection.

I agree 100%. Tor has some great stuff. And I definitely agree with the logic of hitting a few thousand balls correctly vs simply hitting a million and thinking that'll make you good.

But still so many people preach that HAMB is the way to go, trial and error until you've hit enough balls to finally start repeating more makes than misses.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you learn one thing from a 50$ book that helps you win a 100$ set then you doubled your money. Every single thing a book or instructor teaches you doesn’t have to be relevant, but a few things out of the instructions could be the difference in winning money or not. Never stop learning

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you learn one thing from a 50$ book that helps you win a 100$ set then you doubled your money. Every single thing a book or instructor teaches you doesn’t have to be relevant, but a few things out of the instructions could be the difference in winning money or not. Never stop learning
I've been playing at a fairly high level for 63 years and have set ways to get position through trial and error.
About 5 years ago I played bar league pool for a couple years for the first time and was exposed to beginners and a few very good players.
And guess what? I learned a few different ways of position play not from the better players but from the mid level guys.
Sometimes it was whoa never thought of that way.
You can never stop learning this game.