The BEST One Pocket Event of the year.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you go, here are two, or three, suggestions for great "outside" food:
Mother's -- ask for "black ham", best storebought shrimp poboys, required stop for all Marines -- located at intersection of Poydras and Tchoupitoulas, East of Camp, near Fifth Circuit, five or six blocks down (toward River) from Superdome; and
Charlie's Steakhouse -- a "classic" steakhouse in my experience -- located near intersection of Napoleon and St. Charles.

You won't be sorry if you enjoy really good basic food. Not creole, cajun, etc., but there is plenty of that available elsewhere.

Question for Locals: Who sells best Muffelatta close to Buffalo's?
Write these answers down, too, as they are posted.

A good poboy will feed two. A good muff will feed four. A roll of paper towels may be required depending on construction method.

Come back inn for Muffelatta. Forget about Central in the Quarter, way over hyped

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Come back inn for Muffelatta. Forget about Central in the Quarter, way over hyped

Guess I will have to forget central grocery. I can remember the first time I bought a muffuletta there about fifty years ago. My first thought was that this sandwich was ridiculously overpriced! Five or six dollars for a sandwich? What I didn't know was this thing was huge and thick! My brother-in-law and I shared one. Ate a big meal and munched on the remainder as we walked around the rest of the day. That thing was great! I had never tasted anything like it. Any trip to New Orleans included a pass to get a muffuletta after that.

Another old grocery store that sold great shrimp po-boys is gone too. It was near Audubon Park. Just across the road from the zoo and close enough you could hear the big cats roar. Funny thing was the squirrels. Rustle a potato chip bag and they came like the rats of Willard! Soon dozens were around you and they would climb your leg for a potato chip. I took the instructor of a seminar I was taking to the park to experience the beauty of the park and the funny squirrel stampede while eating a great po-boy. He was worried about being late getting back to the class. I told him not to worry, they wouldn't start without us!

The critical question is where to get good food in walking distance of the new location? I think Buff has a little stuff but I don't remember a full kitchen. I might be wrong being a daytime visitor of Buff's. Still, somebody there for a few days may want to expand their horizons a bit. The usual smorgasbord of fast food nearby, they join each other along the highway, but some may want a good sit down meal to relax. I used to get a good steak along that strip, I forget where now. Might be gone too, every new hurricane seems to change New Orleans a bit with old haunts disappearing.

On with the show!

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion there is another player who could/can play with these guys. He hasn't played in several years but would definitely compete. John Hagar. On his best days he was a threat to beat anyone on the list and if the money was high enough he often would be the favorite.

From Georgia?

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Parenton’s Po Boys is about 3/4 mile from Buffalo’s. Crabby Jacks is about 1.5 miles.

The po-boy shop definitely needs checking out. I can't imagine eating at Crabby Jacks. Reminds me of a girl from long ago that I didn't quite know in the biblical sense, Crabby Linda as she came to be known! There was a seafood place opened up that I passed by pretty often. I usually checked out places but that one sat there ten years without trying before a name change. Li'l Johnny's Catfish seemed far too scary considering all of the things Li'l Johnny had gotten into as a kid.

Hu

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The po-boy shop definitely needs checking out. I can't imagine eating at Crabby Jacks. Reminds me of a girl from long ago that I didn't quite know in the biblical sense, Crabby Linda as she came to be known! There was a seafood place opened up that I passed by pretty often. I usually checked out places but that one sat there ten years without trying before a name change. Li'l Johnny's Catfish seemed far too scary considering all of the things Li'l Johnny had gotten into as a kid.

Hu
Crabby Jacks is owned by Jacques-Imo’s which is probably the best food for the money. About four miles from Buffalo’s

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Crabby Jacks is owned by Jacques-Imo’s which is probably the best food for the money. About four miles from Buffalo’s

When I see the pictures I think JoeyA and I have already eaten at Crabby Jack's, I just didn't remember the name. If there is good food Joey knows where it is at!

Hu

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
So, here is the meal deal. Do we know if Buffalo's has a kitchen or has otherwise arranged for onsite food service during the event? I keep thinking about Jazz Fest and the incredible food served and eaten there. Food is truly 1/3 of of the Jazz Fest experience, but wouldn't it have to be so being it is New Orleans? Now I know Buffalo's tournament is not Jazz Fest, but if Buffalo decides to pursue this angle, it should prove helpful that the concept of established restaurants participating as pop-ups is not an alien one to NOLA food entrepreneurs. Surely, one, or maybe two, of Jazz Fest Pop-Up Vendors might strike deals with Buffalo which would work to everyone's benefit -- both Buffalo and Pop-Up(s) make money and we attendees avoid chasing food across two parishes. I have also determined that NOLA is not short on food trucks which provides an alternative with potentially more variety and less entanglement: https://roaminghunger.com/food-trucks/new-orleans-la/2/.

Locals and frequent interlopers will eat well regardless, but the idea that some folks might come to New Orleans and not find her food is unacceptable. How about it Mr. Hanna, ya'll gonna secure us access to eats equal to New Orlean's incredible reputation for fabulous food? Being as this is New Orleans, we expect nothing less than the best experience possible.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Wow, a thread about the greatest one pocket event of the year, and we’re talking about sandwiches. Keep it classy AZ!

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
The devil is in the details. I've had a few tournament experiences made less than they could have been due to crummy food, including DCC at Exec. West. Good, convenient food is not something a promoter should overlook. And, as I said above, it is New Orleans.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The devil is in the details. I've had a few tournament experiences made less than they could have been due to crummy food, including DCC at Exec. West. Good, convenient food is not something a promoter should overlook. And, as I said above, it is New Orleans.

Eating poorly while visiting NOLA is a crime against humanity.

But fortunately, Buff's is only a 15 Uber ride from some of the greatest food in the world. So I'm not looking for the pool room to strap all that on. I'll be happy to get myself to da food and back in time to sweat the 1pocket.

Lou Figueroa

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, a thread about the greatest one pocket event of the year, and we’re talking about sandwiches. Keep it classy AZ!

Looking at the list of competitors, we have great pool locked up. Might as well work on polishing up the fringes now. With so much food in New Orleans there is plenty of great food, plenty of not so great food too. As a general rule, to find inexpensive great food, eat where the locals eat. The places in the guides are generally overhyped and under deliver. It is almost criminal to sit down and eat in New Orleans only to get the meal you could get in seventeen other cities.

Hu

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By then soft-shells will be well in season too. Had a huge crab po-boy at Mahony's. The meal at R'evolution was also outstanding.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One Pocket Hall of Fame Dinner at Buffalo's on Wednesday May 26, 2021 before the 1 Ball One Pocket tournament starts.

Alex Pagulayan and Francisco Bustamante, having been elected to the Hall of Fame last year, will be inducted at a dinner and banquet at 5:00 pm on Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Anybody interested in attending can contact Joe Long e-mail joe@legal225.com

1619067969632.png

A New Design (99).jpg

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Still 12 days to full ignition (theoretically way too soon to be getting really excited) . . . but, with vaccine shots in the arm, CDC revising the mask requirements, and recent reports of serious gambling from both jtompilot, "dennis winning 70k, Morra winning 40k, and lots 20-30k action", and Jay Helfert, "betting with both hands here night and day", something has got to give. The doings at Buffalo's are well on the way to a rolling boil, and its always been difficult to hold a lid on anything in New Orleans. What y'all thinking?