The Future of Pool is Emerging...

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... and it resembles the good old days of billiards glory!

Last night, in the sleepy hollow of Australia, the concept of TAR and POV type match ups took a giant stride.

Two of Australia's best competed in a race to 35 frame match of English 8 Ball with $35k (AUD) approx US$30k for the winner.

Over 150 attended and the live stream with commentary was seen by over 2K unique visitors, some of which were pool/bar venues with 50-100 watching, so perhaps an audience of 3,000, which is a number that starts to attract sponsors.

These match ups resemble the old school model of challenges, and a model which has been very successful for boxing over the years.

In Australia alone we now have 3 different internet broadcasting companies starting to do regular tournaments and challenge matches. Of course, the same thing is emerging in the US and UK and will soon grow in other countries I'm sure.

Would appreciate others' insights into the achievements and potential growth of the sport in this domain of net broadcasting.

For those wanting to see the match, the stream is available here:
http://new.livestream.com/gotocourt/events/3649790

And stats for the match are available here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=384540
 
Last edited:
I miss Australia...

2-shot is nearly the perfect game "if" they would change the rule that making an opponents ball in combination is a 2 shot foul. That kills a lot of racks when a guy gets a jawed ball with opponents balls near the pocket, there are very few offensive or defensive options in many of those racks and the outcome becomes a forgone conclusion.
 
Is it a general rule or just for this match that if there's I foul, not only is it ball in hand for my opponent but he also gets 2 attempts to run out?

The set up starts about minute 35:10
 
Last edited:
I miss Australia...

2-shot is nearly the perfect game "if" they would change the rule that making an opponents ball in combination is a 2 shot foul. That kills a lot of racks when a guy gets a jawed ball with opponents balls near the pocket, there are very few offensive or defensive options in many of those racks and the outcome becomes a forgone conclusion.
Hi Celtic, sounds like you're describing Blackball rules, which I think are better as the reduce the incentive for blocking pockets.

For low to intermediate players, English 8 ball will always be about blocking pockets and snookering, but at the highest levels, it is a very offensive game.

I got into US 9 ball and 10 ball for a few years, thinking they were offensive games, but over time learned they are a breaking / safety game at the higher levels. Hence I'm more into English pool these days.

US 8 ball is ok, but too easy to go out, hence it is pretty much a breaking competition.

I'm not surprised that the top English 8 ballers are doing so well in cross-over games, such as Appleton, Boyes, Peach, Melling and Potts. Not to mention Selby and Robertson, 2 of the top 5 on the snooker tour.

And to tip my hat to US players, Rempe went to England and won the English 8 Ball World Title many years back and showed them the offensive style can win, in a time when the rules favoured defensive style play.
 
Hi Celtic, sounds like you're describing Blackball rules, which I think are better as the reduce the incentive for blocking pockets.

For low to intermediate players, English 8 ball will always be about blocking pockets and snookering, but at the highest levels, it is a very offensive game.

I got into US 9 ball and 10 ball for a few years, thinking they were offensive games, but over time learned they are a breaking / safety game at the higher levels. Hence I'm more into English pool these days.

US 8 ball is ok, but too easy to go out, hence it is pretty much a breaking competition.

I'm not surprised that the top English 8 ballers are doing so well in cross-over games, such as Appleton, Boyes, Peach, Melling and Potts. Not to mention Selby and Robertson, 2 of the top 5 on the snooker tour.

And to tip my hat to US players, Rempe went to England and won the English 8 Ball World Title many years back and showed them the offensive style can win, in a time when the rules favoured defensive style play.

What was the nature of that world title, colin? I would find it incredible if it was in the structure english pool world championships are played in today.
 
Is it a general rule or just for this match that if there's I foul, not only is it ball in hand for my opponent but he also gets 2 attempts to run out?

The set up starts about minute 35:10
For a scratch foul it's ball in hand behind the baulk line, with 2 visits. On other fouls, you play the CB from where it lays with 2 visits.

Blackball is a little different. In that game, the 2 visits only carries for the first shot, and in that game, you can hit any ball first shot, like one free shot, then you continue with 1 visit.
 
I miss Australia...

2-shot is nearly the perfect game "if" they would change the rule that making an opponents ball in combination is a 2 shot foul. That kills a lot of racks when a guy gets a jawed ball with opponents balls near the pocket, there are very few offensive or defensive options in many of those racks and the outcome becomes a forgone conclusion.

That's blackball, plenty of great matches on youtube.

English 8 ball is unplayable with any other rule code. I'd like it to go further and play with american 8 ball rules, to really open it up.
 
What was the nature of that world title, colin? I would find it incredible if it was in the structure english pool world championships are played in today.

I think it was in the old days when soft breaks were allowed and one could snooker without hitting a rail, so a lot of defensive strategists ruled the roost in English 8 Ball back then.

There is some footage of Jim Rempe winning that title in this clip, starting at about the 4 minute mark:
https://vimeo.com/104730663

And more information about his winning the English 8 Ball Title in this thread:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=364516
 
That's blackball, plenty of great matches on youtube.

English 8 ball is unplayable with any other rule code. I'd like it to go further and play with american 8 ball rules, to really open it up.
I tend to agree with you Ron. Though it wouldn't change the style much at the highest levels, US 8 Ball rules would make beginners and intermediates play a more offensive style, which would benefit their transition to higher levels of play.
 
IMO, that pool is gaining popularity in many countries perhaps it will regain what it has lost in America in the future. Nice to see that the folks down are enjoying the camaraderie and competition that pool offers..
 
... and it resembles the good old days of billiards glory!

Last night, in the sleepy hollow of Australia, the concept of TAR and POV type match ups took a giant stride.

Two of Australia's best competed in a race to 35 frame match of English 8 Ball with $35k (AUD) approx US$30k for the winner.

Over 150 attended and the live stream with commentary was seen by over 2K unique visitors, some of which were pool/bar venues with 50-100 watching, so perhaps an audience of 3,000, which is a number that starts to attract sponsors.

These match ups resemble the old school model of challenges, and a model which has been very successful for boxing over the years.

In Australia alone we now have 3 different internet broadcasting companies starting to do regular tournaments and challenge matches. Of course, the same thing is emerging in the US and UK and will soon grow in other countries I'm sure.

Would appreciate others' insights into the achievements and potential growth of the sport in this domain of net broadcasting.

For those wanting to see the match, the stream is available here:
http://new.livestream.com/gotocourt/events/3649790

And stats for the match are available here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=384540

Hi Colin, glad to see you are encouraged about live streaming in Australia. I watched some of it, and it appeared well presented and enjoyable. As you know, we have about 6 or 8 streamer's here dedicated to pool, both tournament and gambling action. Most of them have to go with PPV, as that is the only way economically feasible for them.

I imagine its the same in your country, as it is here. It takes a very high profile event, or two top name players, to make it profitable for the streamers to go PPV and garner a decent size audience. The quality of the stream keeps improving, but big name sponsorship seems to be very hard to come by.

The only large investment here, at high quality streaming dedicated strictly to pool, was Bonus Ball. Sadly, for a variety of reasons, that game appears to be dead in the water. The 'team/city' concept was outstanding, but I still believe, had they chosen 8-ball for their game, and a traveling venue, they had a good chance of being successful.

Hope things continue to go well, for Aussie pool, and I hope someone can come up with a way to attract viewer's, and sponsor's in both our countries. It will be interesting to see how the "reality pool" ventures (with Keith, Scooter, etc.) will play out. The general public just does not get too excited, over watching pool players, shooting a bunch of 'straight ins':o ! It appears that reality pool, may be the only avenue to attract big $$$$ sponsorship. That will also require a considerable investment to get up and running profitably.

Best of luck,

SJD
 
Last edited:
Hi Colin, glad to see you are encouraged about live streaming in Australia. I watched some of it, and it appeared well presented and enjoyable. As you know, we have about 6 or 8 streamer's here dedicated to pool, both tournament and gambling action. Most of them have to go with PPV, as that is the only way economically feasible for them.

I imagine its the same in your country, as it is here. It takes a very high profile event, or two top name players, to make it profitable for the streamers to go PPV and garner a decent size audience. The quality of the stream keeps improving, but big name sponsorship seems to be very hard to come by.

The only large investment here, at high quality streaming dedicated strictly to pool, was Bonus Ball. Sadly, for a variety of reasons, that game appears to be dead in the water. The 'team/city' concept was outstanding, but I still believe, had they chosen 8-ball for their game, and a traveling venue, they had a good chance of being successful.

Hope things continue to go well, for Aussie pool, and I hope someone can come up with a way to attract viewer's, and sponsor's in both our countries. It will be interesting to see how the "reality pool" ventures (with Keith, Scooter, etc.) will play out. The general public just does not get too excited, over watching pool players, shooting a bunch of 'straight ins':o ! It appears that reality pool, may be the only avenue to attract big $$$$ sponsorship. That will also require a considerable investment to get up and running profitably.

Best of luck,

SJD

Thanks Dick,

Enjoyed your insights and agree that 8-ball was probably a better way to go for the bonus ball league... loved their branding and concept, but never got excited about the game.

None of the OZ streams have relied on Pay Per View and I think it's the same in the UK. I think free streaming with unlimited access is the future. Perhaps memberships for added features such as live stats or additional content.

I produced a couple of TV snooker and pool events, where I paid for televising which reached several million viewers in China. I think it's a matter of generating eyeballs, or even paying for them, as I did, to make the content profitable for sponsors. Well, I paid with sponsor dollars, I still made a handy profit.

It's a new concept, a grass roots strategy which is climbing toward a positive feedback mechanism re viewership and marketability. Things could start accelerating rapidly in a few markets when critical mass is surpassed and I expect those waves to provide momentum in pool coverage worldwide, whatever the game format. Perhaps a couple of game styles will evolve and dominate... that's part of the excitement ahead!
 
Back
Top