The installer didn't remove the old tip-pad and installed 2nd on top. Maybe overthinking it?

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I'm not going to overthink it but when I gave the cue-installer my shaft, it had a tip (snipper) which has a red pad under it. Then I asked him to install a navigator blue impact tip which also has a brown tip pad under it.

The guy removed the sniper layers but kept its pad(the red one) then installed the blue impact on top.

Now my navigator tip has a brown pad under it, then a red pad under that one too. So double pads under a tip.

Is that bad? Will it affect anything in terms of play or shooting? I know some ppl say "Just shoot man" but Ye, why did he not remove the sniper's pad is my question LOL

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not going to overthink it but when I gave the cue-installer my shaft, it had a tip (snipper) which has a red pad under it. Then I asked him to install a navigator blue impact tip which also has a brown tip pad under it.

The guy removed the sniper layers but kept its pad(the red one) then installed the blue impact on top.

Now my navigator tip has a brown pad under it, then a red pad under that one too. So double pads under a tip.

Is that bad? Will it affect anything in terms of play or shooting? I know some ppl say "Just shoot man" but Ye, why did he not remove the sniper's pad is my question LOL
Well. Since it is all glued and done just go shoot pool with it and see what you think. Don't see any harm in that. If you don't like it make the installer do it over and have the original pad removed at that time. You might just find you like it the way it is...

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too bad the tip you’re placed wasn’t Kamui Clear. Seeing the blue pad float on top of the clear might look cool?
I was being facetious? IMO, having that much cushioning underneath just seems like too it would be too much.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i dont think its automatic to replace the fiber pad when changing tips
icbw

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I wouldn't be thrilled if my installer did that (and I'm shocked he didn't ok it with you before doing it), and the thought of it and the looks might drive me nuts (and if it does I think you are being reasonable if you ask him to redo it), but I'm guessing it hasn't really changed the hit or play of your cue. Also guessing this isn't the first time he has done it and if he were getting many complaints presumably he would have stopped doing it or at least ok'd it with you in advance unless he is an idiot or the type that just doesn't really care what his customers think.

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have it retipped at no charge to you. Thats just lazy
facetious....another great word 😎

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It wouldn't hurt to ask the installer. Could have been as simple as the red is suppose to be there like the Revo shafts have, but in this case, the red at the bottom of Tiger tips is just dyed leather. Navigator tips also have dyed layers. I personally don't know why any of the tip manufactures use dyed leathers in thier designs other than they want it to look different. Serves no real purpose especially in the middle of the layers.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It wouldn't hurt to ask the installer. Could have been as simple as the red is suppose to be there like the Revo shafts have, but in this case, the red at the bottom of Tiger tips is just dyed leather. Navigator tips also have dyed layers. I personally don't know why any of the tip manufactures use dyed leathers in thier designs other than they want it to look different. Serves no real purpose especially in the middle of the layers.
He thought it was a fibre pad. It surprises me he got it separated cleanly.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Black pads I usually cut down a bit but leave on. All of the other varieties I take off. The ferrule will probably way outlast several generations of owners but every time you clean up the face of the ferrule you shorten it a little bit more. Ferrules and pads have a lot to do with hit and the mechanic replacing the tip probably has no idea what material the ferrule is made of, best to leave it alone!

My new personal playing cue which seems less likely to get built every year would have a black pad or a stack of black, white, and black again pads. No real joint collars, more like pads, The irish linen wrap would be very long coming from about halfway the forearm and reaching to about an inch from a narrow, maybe half to three-quarter inch butt cap. G-10 pin(s), and the cue would be either two piece at a total of sixty-two inches or three equal length or near equal length 22" sections, shaft, center section, and butt, to give a total length of sixty-six inches. Just a pipe dream now. Maybe I will whittle out a five pound "Silver Ginacue out of silver and ebony. I wonder if I could wrap silver wire in the wrap area then press it flat like the linen thread?

Ideas I got. Good ideas are a little harder to come by and I think we were talking about pads anyway!

Hu

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Thanks for the responses

The shaft is a revo which has its own red silencer or whatever it’s name is.

Then there’s another red layer on top of that silencer which belongs to the previous tip (sniper)

Then there’s another brownish light layer on top of the snipers red which is the pad of the blue impact navigator top

Then on top of that are the navigator blue layers.

I can distinguish between the dark red silencer that belong to the revo and the bright red that belongs to the sniper.

I asked him why he didn’t remove that bright red (sniper pad) and he said it’s the revo protector maybe he meant the silencer but again there’s a good chance that he couldn’t distinguish between the revo red and the sniper red pad. So he left both

So maybe it’s a mistake but I’m not happy also I can’t tell him to replace at free charge he’s a friend of mine too. Bottom line I feel that tip now is kind of mushy so not sure what to do at this point

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses

Then there’s another red layer on top of that silencer which belongs to the previous tip (sniper)

Then there’s another brownish light layer on top of the snipers red which is the pad of the blue impact navigator top

I can distinguish between the dark red silencer that belong to the revo and the bright red that belongs to the sniper.

I asked him why he didn’t remove that bright red (sniper pad) and he said it’s the revo protector maybe he meant the silencer but again there’s a good chance that he couldn’t distinguish between the revo red and the sniper red pad. So he left both

So maybe it’s a mistake but I’m not happy also I can’t tell him to replace at free charge he’s a friend of mine too. Bottom line I feel that tip now is kind of mushy so not sure what to do at this point
If you don't want it to be awkward, just cut off the bits you don't want to keep with a razor and say it popped off. Otherwise, take it to be done properly elsewhere and don't mention it to him.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses

You already have it engraved into you psyche you dont like the way it hits. Change it. If he is any kind of a friend, you owe it to him to be honest.

I assume the Predator uses a carbon fiber pad. I think your friend made a mistake (or error on the side of caution, he didnt want to have to install a new one) to recognize carbon fiber under leather.

Offer to pay for a new tip if he throws in the labor.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses

Yes Sir
That is more than the original post. C/f shafts in general leaves questions. If you know something, inform the installer before he does the work. It doesn't hurt.
A good thing to do would be,
You buy another tip and ask him to install it.
Jmo

Last edited:

Nyquil

i dont think its automatic to replace the fiber pad when changing tips
icbw
I watched a vid of a guy that does a ton of cue to changes for carbon fiber shafts mostly predators. He said in the vid he has some pads on hand in case one is needed, but that they don't need to be changed out unless there is an issue.

Reactions: bbb

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
If you don't want it to be awkward, just cut off the bits you don't want to keep with a razor and say it popped off. Otherwise, take it to be done properly elsewhere and don't mention it to him.
If a tip I installed popped off, I would be really messed up. Better to just buy a new tip and have him do it right. No need to be confrontational if he's a buddy, just pass it off like it's no biggie.

I've installed dozens of tips for friends. I had one pop. I tried loc tite pro or whatever it is as it was recommended for kamui clear. Never again. Faced the kamui and used good old gorilla glue gel. Never a problem with gorilla glue gel. Don't tell a cue guy his tip popped off when it didn't or you're gonna have him questioning everything. I'll never use loc tite again, bad experience that I don't want to repeat ever. Trust me, you look like a real fool when a tip pops, and it's ten times harder to get it put back on when it's already been trimmed.

Reactions: Pin

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I just went to him and explained it to him by showing the multi-layers and he said that the pad of predator which is red and sniper which is also red got him tricked, he thought both belonged to predator and I showed that one is light and one is dark then he saw it and said that I was right and it shouldn't be that way. He said the shooting wouldn't be exactly the same unless I like the feel of some extra-damping.

Anyway, he changed the tip and put a new one & made sure the sniper pad is removed. However, I still paid for the 2nd tip the same amount of money haha :D but no problem it's not a lot of money and I like to see friends benefit from some pool-related business.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully you don’t return to post saying that in hindsight, you
kind of miss the extra pad because it made your stroke steady.