The Legendary Pearl to Take On 14.1 Attempts

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Makes me think of the 1983 Caesars Tahoe Classic vs Steve Mizerak. Earl was a man on a mission that day and would not be denied. Just a crazy look in his eyes like balls on felt was a crime against humanity and he must put an end to it. That day he achieved that purity of focus and execution that is so unbelievably rare, even generational athletes experience it only on a couple of occasions in their lifetimes if they are lucky. That's one of the greatest athletic performances ever, like Wilt Chamberlain's 20,000 women...I mean 100 point game. If you want to show someone what "the zone" is that's what you show them. I mean Earl, not Wilt, but yeah, that works, too.
1984 Caesars Tahoe was my first experience with the pro tournaments. What a great experience. I enjoyed it so much that I can not remember who won that year. I was fortunate to make it through the snow just before 50 closed due to white out. Upon walking in I was directed to our Northwest favorite Dan Louie playing Jose Parica. With "Parica just beat Earl out of a lot of money in Texas." Danny beat him 9-8 and then on the second chance side he defeated him again 9-8. Seems like Earl did win. By the finals I was well into celebrating. 😁🤷👍

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl's performance the last couple days was much better than the first day. Better patterns. Better break shots. He still did some unconventional stuff but that's to be expected for a lifelong rotation player but he looked more like a straight pool player at the end.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I can pretty much guarantee everyone that if Allen Hopkins, Nick Varner, Mike Segal just to mention a few, if they were playing in this event, any of them would have posted a 200+ run on day 1, because they all have a 14.1 background, and they're ALL older than Earl. I'm not knocking Earl, just all the hype involving his 408 and 480 high runs. The one thing this type of event will do, and that's turning rumors into truths!

middleofnowhere

Registered
You think Earl lied about these feats? Are there any witnesses?

Maybe he did- I have no way of knowing for sure. However, for as straight as he shoots, it is really that doubtful he could have run so many balls at nearly half the age he is now?
I tend to agree with you. I have no doubt in his mind he believes he could have done it, so he just said he did. He may be experiencing a bit of a reality check now.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You think Earl lied about these feats? Are there any witnesses?

Maybe he did- I have no way of knowing for sure. However, for as straight as he shoots, is it really that doubtful he could have run so many balls at nearly half the age he is now?
Agreed, no one at 60 is likely to be able to run much more than half as many balls as they could run in their prime. Comparing Earl’s high runs to Ruslan or Shane is just not fair for precisely that reason.

Reactions: KRJ

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After Earl's through, if someone wants to send me all the raw data from his attempts, I could give us the probability of running 408 and 480. I believe if someone could run 200 at 60, 400 in thier prime is absolutely possible.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Agreed, no one at 60 is likely to be able to run much more than half as many balls as they could run in their prime. Comparing Earl’s high runs to Ruslan or Shane is just not fair for precisely that reason.
Earl was never a straight pool player. The little we saw him play maybe 25 years ago was horrible. He probably plays the best straight pool now of his life.
The high run thing is neither here or there.
I think in a 14.1 tournament Earl now would be favorite to do well or even win.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl was never a straight pool player. The little we saw him play maybe 25 years ago was horrible. He probably plays the best straight pool now of his life.
The high run thing is neither here or there.
I think in a 14.1 tournament Earl now would be favorite to do well or even win.
In one of his Billiard Network commentaries, he mentioned that there was a time when he practiced 14.1 a lot around 30 years ago and then he stopped because there weren't many tournaments for 14.1 and that he didn't fully appreciate the game back then. So, perhaps there was a time when his skills were better- certainly in terms of shot making and maybe knowledge as well- I think you can kind of forget certain aspects of a game if you don't play it often.