The never ending quest for the perfect cue (long, boring rant).

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Like many on here, I've spent my entire playing life searching for that gem, the best possible pool cue. My first cue was an Adam. I loved that cue, but people kept telling me I'd get more spin with a Meucci. Like an idiot I believed them. I did get spin with the Meucci, but the cue would twist and squirm in my arms like a puppy that you've held too long. There was near zero feel on the soft shots and on the hard shots, the whole cue would vibrate, violently up and down and side to side. Needless to say, that got old. So I bought a Predator with a Z shaft. While the butts have been changing back and forth I've been going back to the Z shaft almost every time I get tired of a cue. It just delivers so much precision. Every mm of elevation makes the cueball do something different. When you are in dead stroke, I venture to say that no other shaft is better, but then there is the small matter of the 99.9% of times when you are not. And when you're really not, it's hell playing with that shaft. You seem to throw every long shot out of the pocket when making it matters the most. It's like the pool cue equivalent of the girlfriend that you remember fondly, but she is completely nuts. "Why oh why did I ever break up with her, shes perfect I should try one more time", then the dinner plates start hitting the floor and you remember..

I bought some customs that weren't quite right and sold them immediately..Then I bought a McDermott, which was pretty good but some guy offered a lot of money for it so I sold it. So I bought a Mezz. And frankly, the Mezz cue with a WD 700 shafts is probably the best allround cue I've ever owned. It does everything well, and everyone who tries it seem to like it, no matter what their playing style happens to be. But then the voices in my head started whispering again..."This shaft is too mellow, it hides your flaws". So I bought a conical taper cue that hit so hard it was like running face first into a brick wall. Then I bought another one just like it. And they made me miserable, even if I played ok...and then I went back to the Z and now of course I've come to the same realization I did EVERY time I did that, that this shaft is just too damned difficult to play with for mortal men. THen I start playing with 14mm shafts, house cues, garbage cues and I start playing well. I have no idea whats up with that? And then the inevitable crash comes...

So I'm back on the search again. Looking for a cue with perfect balance, with a shaft that is fairly thin, but not too thin, low deflecting but not too low deflecting, that has a hit that is not too harsh but not too mellow, with the right weight and wrapless...It's hopeless, I'll never find it, but I guess like always my preferences change as I train more. The better I play, the more I favour a hard hit, hard tips and unforgiving cues. But then I have a bad night and doubt creeps in...I train and train and tweek the fundamentals endlessly, but can't change the feeling that maybe, just maybe with a different cue...I know it's bs, but I can't help myself and neither can anyone else I know with this dreadful, lifelong addiction. We're addicts beyond any help or recovery, no program can help us. The dragons we chase are every bit as elusive as the other addicts' dragons, though they won't kill us, it's just as hopeless of a pursuit and perhaps even less comprehensible to sane people watching. "Just buy a cue and train, they say". What do they know, about the regret of selling your best cues and the triumph of finding the one, though it never ever lasts? The nostalgic journeys to the back of the closet, wandering through the small forest of shafts and cues (forest of shame and misspent money) and spending more time than any woman trying to decide what to take to a night out? Nothing, that's what!

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well is there a Magic Cue, Shaft, or Tip. Could be advertisers spend big buck trying to convince Pool players their product is the answer to all problems.

Golf, Baseball, Tennis, Fishing, etc., industries companies do same thing. Old joke is some fishing lures catch more fishermen than fish.

If one product was really best, that would be only one available.

Cue Tips is example some retailers sell or offer over 40 different ones.

JMHO

Last edited:

BlueRaider

Registered
I went through 3-4 shafts before settling on the OB Classic+. I figured that a larger diameter but still pretty low-deflection shaft was a good compromise for me.

I envy one of my friends. He went out and bought a nice Lucasi with their low-deflection shaft pretty much day one of his pool career and still shoots with it. It made learning spin a lot easier for him because it was consistent feedback over years, whereas I went back and before between standard maple with normal deflection and then with BHE, super low deflection 11.75 mm shafts, and my current 12.75 mm OB Classic+. Messed me up for a while because I couldn't memorize aim points with spin while accounting for deflection.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
relate. over time/experience, have you dialed in specs. you like? go custom?
Between 12 and 12.5 mm, juma ferrule, 58 inch, 18.5 ounces. Not pro taper unless modified with carbon or something, but ideally pure quality maple. Wrapless. Maple shaft. Butt could be any material with a slight forward weight bias and even weight distribution, really. Solid locking joint, so no qr, preferably. You'd think that would be easy, but no, not quite. There is always one thing that's off.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'm so happy that I'm not picky.
I have a Schmelke,Lucasi and a Troy Downey cue and I play with them a couple weeks each at a time.
All I need is a good tip, the right size and tapered shaft and I'm good to go.
Sometimes I think like that too. When I play my best the cue doesn't seem to matter as much though it does make a slight difference. But the bad playing periods is when the cue starts to bug me. Really, I can play fairly well with anything, even a house cue. But then there is the last little bit...The expensive bit.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I went through 3-4 shafts before settling on the OB Classic+. I figured that a larger diameter but still pretty low-deflection shaft was a good compromise for me.

I envy one of my friends. He went out and bought a nice Lucasi with their low-deflection shaft pretty much day one of his pool career and still shoots with it. It made learning spin a lot easier for him because it was consistent feedback over years, whereas I went back and before between standard maple with normal deflection and then with BHE, super low deflection 11.75 mm shafts, and my current 12.75 mm OB Classic+. Messed me up for a while because I couldn't memorize aim points with spin while accounting for deflection.
I always recommend that people stick with one cue. I wish I'd stick with my own advice. I've had the same snooker cue for a decade now. If I ever change it may just be the ferrule or something. This cue does all I need on the snooker table, and honestly it's probably too good for me, though it isn't expensive at all.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I'm so happy that I'm not picky.
I have a Schmelke,Lucasi and a Troy Downey cue and I play with them a couple weeks each at a time.
All I need is a good tip, the right size and tapered shaft and I'm good to go.
That sound like Improvising, adapting and overcoming. Like Gunny Highway said in HeartBreak Ridge.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like many on here, I've spent my entire playing life searching for that gem, the best possible pool cue. My first cue was an Adam. I loved that cue, but people kept telling me I'd get more spin with a Meucci. Like an idiot I believed them. I did get spin with the Meucci, but the cue would twist and squirm in my arms like a puppy that you've held too long. There was near zero feel on the soft shots and on the hard shots, the whole cue would vibrate, violently up and down and side to side. Needless to say, that got old. So I bought a Predator with a Z shaft. While the butts have been changing back and forth I've been going back to the Z shaft almost every time I get tired of a cue. It just delivers so much precision. Every mm of elevation makes the cueball do something different. When you are in dead stroke, I venture to say that no other shaft is better, but then there is the small matter of the 99.9% of times when you are not. And when you're really not, it's hell playing with that shaft. You seem to throw every long shot out of the pocket when making it matters the most. It's like the pool cue equivalent of the girlfriend that you remember fondly, but she is completely nuts. "Why oh why did I ever break up with her, shes perfect I should try one more time", then the dinner plates start hitting the floor and you remember..

I bought some customs that weren't quite right and sold them immediately..Then I bought a McDermott, which was pretty good but some guy offered a lot of money for it so I sold it. So I bought a Mezz. And frankly, the Mezz cue with a WD 700 shafts is probably the best allround cue I've ever owned. It does everything well, and everyone who tries it seem to like it, no matter what their playing style happens to be. But then the voices in my head started whispering again..."This shaft is too mellow, it hides your flaws". So I bought a conical taper cue that hit so hard it was like running face first into a brick wall. Then I bought another one just like it. And they made me miserable, even if I played ok...and then I went back to the Z and now of course I've come to the same realization I did EVERY time I did that, that this shaft is just too damned difficult to play with for mortal men. THen I start playing with 14mm shafts, house cues, garbage cues and I start playing well. I have no idea whats up with that? And then the inevitable crash comes...

So I'm back on the search again. Looking for a cue with perfect balance, with a shaft that is fairly thin, but not too thin, low deflecting but not too low deflecting, that has a hit that is not too harsh but not too mellow, with the right weight and wrapless...It's hopeless, I'll never find it, but I guess like always my preferences change as I train more. The better I play, the more I favour a hard hit, hard tips and unforgiving cues. But then I have a bad night and doubt creeps in...I train and train and tweek the fundamentals endlessly, but can't change the feeling that maybe, just maybe with a different cue...I know it's bs, but I can't help myself and neither can anyone else I know with this dreadful, lifelong addiction. We're addicts beyond any help or recovery, no program can help us. The dragons we chase are every bit as elusive as the other addicts' dragons, though they won't kill us, it's just as hopeless of a pursuit and perhaps even less comprehensible to sane people watching. "Just buy a cue and train, they say". What do they know, about the regret of selling your best cues and the triumph of finding the one, though it never ever lasts? The nostalgic journeys to the back of the closet, wandering through the small forest of shafts and cues (forest of shame and misspent money) and spending more time than any woman trying to decide what to take to a night out? Nothing, that's what!
It sounds like you've already found the Perfect Cue for you... The Mezz!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have not read all the responses
find a shaft you like
then pair it with a butt that has the feel/weight/balance/ you like
jmho
icbw

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Between 12 and 12.5 mm, juma ferrule, 58 inch, 18.5 ounces. Not pro taper unless modified with carbon or something, but ideally pure quality maple. Wrapless. Maple shaft. Butt could be any material with a slight forward weight bias and even weight distribution, really. Solid locking joint, so no qr, preferably. You'd think that would be easy, but no, not quite. There is always one thing that's off.
Both cues Bob Owen made for me weigh exactly 18.5 ozs as requested with shafts weighing 4.0 ounces.
The design is irrelevant to the way the cue plays other than any key features you might otherwise prefer.

You’ll have to wait to get the cue since Bob has become very popular since he last made my cues. But the
truth is he’s an exceptionally talented cue maker and his cues have a very distinct feel because of his shafts.

He delivers on time, is price competitive and makes a wonderful pool cue. Since you know what you like, just
stop searching since it seldom yields a cue with everything you want but Bob can build it for you...just call him.

Matt B.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz Avant butt
Adjustable balance point as you can add weight in two places
Wrapless
United joint

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I have the opposite experience. I find almost all of the cues I have "hit a ton." And really, I could never say one cue hit better than another. There are varying levels of attention to detail I guess - we're talking minor details. I have a favorite cue, but my problem isn't that I keep finding problems with what I purchase, but that I get used to it and now want to try the next one out! So I don't pay too much attention to shaft taper etc. - I want to get the cue the way the guy who made it intended (which can be a challenge).

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading your opening post it sounds like, your biggest enemy is that predator z shaft.
I would say custom is your best option,I'm sure you already been down that road.
Like others have said your specs aren't far off, for a lot of cues around.
Good luck in your quest to find that cue