The process of Improving

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you having difficulty trying to figure out how to improve? Here is an excerpt from an article we shared with our Performance Under Fire workshop group last week:

"James Clear
Entrepreneur, weightlifter, and travel photographer at JamesClear.com

Why Trying to Be Perfect Won't Help You Achieve Your Goals (And What Will)
Posted: 01/12/2014 9:07 am

We all have goals that are important to us. But is it our drive to achieve a certain outcome that makes us better? Or something else entirely?

In the book Art & Fear, authors David Bayles and Ted Orland share a surprising story about a ceramics teacher. This story just might reframe the way you think about setting goals, making progress, and becoming better at the things that are important to you.

Here's what happened:

The ceramics teacher announced on opening day that he was dividing the class into two groups. All those on the left side of the studio, he said, would be graded solely on the quantity of work they produced, all those on the right solely on its quality.
His procedure was simple: on the final day of class he would bring in his bathroom scales and weigh the work of the 'quantity' group: fifty pounds of pots rated an 'A,' forty pounds a 'B,' and so on. Those being graded on 'quality,' however, needed to produce only one pot -- albeit a perfect one -- to get an 'A.'

Well, grading time came and a curious fact emerged: the works of highest quality were all produced by the group being graded for quantity!

It seems that while the 'quantity' group was busily churning out piles of work -- and learning from their mistakes -- the 'quality' group had sat around theorizing about perfection, and in the end had little more to show for their efforts than grandiose theories and a pile of dead clay.

Whenever you put in consistent work and learn from your mistakes, incredible progress is the result.

This is why I force myself to write a new article every Monday and Thursday. I can't predict which articles will be useful, but I know that if I write two per week, then sometimes I'll hit the bullseye.

And it works the same way with almost any goal you could have.
Art. If you want to be a great photographer, you could go on a quest to take one perfect photo each day. Or you could take 100 photos per day, learn from your mistakes, and hone your craft......."

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a great story to show the importance of practice. The 'quantity' group learned from their mistakes, that's the key. If they were just churning out work without learning, then they probably wouldn't be any better than the 'quality' group. For optimal practice, there should be a balance between the two. Where that balance lies is going to depend on a lot of factors, so that's why it's good to have an expert instructor for guidance.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Good post FranCrimi. Nothing is more frustrating than trying for "pinpoint" position on every shot.
CB "area" location increases playing confidence. The more you play, the more pinpoint you'll get.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post FranCrimi. Nothing is more frustrating than trying for "pinpoint" position on every shot.
CB "area" location increases playing confidence. The more you play, the more pinpoint you'll get.

That's what I think, too. Pool requires memory recognition. That can only come from experience.

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all know how to get a six pack ( I don't mean beer), it just bloody well doing it!

Same in pool.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
so it seems there is something to the theory of "just hit a million balls"

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so it seems there is something to the theory of "just hit a million balls"

Yes, there is, but I think that we can hit a million balls without paying attention and then we can hit a million balls with paying attention.

One thing is for sure: You can't just theorize about pool and then suddenly become a better player. You actually have to do it.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Thanks Fran

This is the kind of info that is very helpful to all of us.

The "secrets" of pool shall remain quiet. Good info like this is priceless.

randyg

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the post Fran.

A question to you all:

If you were a kid among a group of "daycare" kids and the caretaker hold up a dollar and said, hey kids - I found this on the ground, do anyone want´s it?

What do you think the kids answer would be?

If the same thing happened during a business meeting and the manager asked the same question, what would the adults/employes say?

My answer is that the kids would all raise there hands in joy and gladly say that they want the dollar.

The adults however would not and within themselves they say things like, "what´s a dollar", "I don´t need it", "I would like it but I don´t want to look greedy"..... and so on.

If you give this a bit of a thinking, what´s the first dollar of a 100 dollar bill, - #1. If there is no # 1, there´s no 100.

= be grateful for every step and know that every step you take is a step to your goal and you have to walk it in your shoes to get it.

Learning is a skill that we all have, we were Masters as it when we were kids, we enjoyed it, had fun, shared it, loved it.....

Whatever age you are, without # 1 what are you now.

Be grateful for every step my friend and everything that happens, it´s a teaching and a learning, if the same thing happens - well I guess you didn´t learn what you wished for.

Be the Kid again:smile:, much more fun:thumbup2:

Take care
Chrippa

Btw, age is just a #, attitude is what counts - you never stop learning if you dare to "walk the walk", stepping out of the comfort zone might seem scary but you have once done it and that means that you know how to do it again, and again, and again.... the learning never stops. Kind of fun to look at it from a different view?!:smile:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the post Fran.

A question to you all:

If you were a kid among a group of "daycare" kids and the caretaker hold up a dollar and said, hey kids - I found this on the ground, do anyone want´s it?

What do you think the kids answer would be?

If the same thing happened during a business meeting and the manager asked the same question, what would the adults/employes say?

My answer is that the kids would all raise there hands in joy and gladly say that they want the dollar.

The adults however would not and within themselves they say things like, "what´s a dollar", "I don´t need it", "I would like it but I don´t want to look greedy"..... and so on.

If you give this a bit of a thinking, what´s the first dollar of a 100 dollar bill, - #1. If there is no # 1, there´s no 100.

= be grateful for every step and know that every step you take is a step to your goal and you have to walk it in your shoes to get it.

Learning is a skill that we all have, we were Masters as it when we were kids, we enjoyed it, had fun, shared it, loved it.....

Whatever age you are, without # 1 what are you now.

Be grateful for every step my friend and everything that happens, it´s a teaching and a learning, if the same thing happens - well I guess you didn´t learn what you wished for.

Be the Kid again:smile:, much more fun:thumbup2:

Take care
Chrippa

Btw, age is just a #, attitude is what counts - you never stop learning if you dare to "walk the walk", stepping out of the comfort zone might seem scary but you have once done it and that means that you know how to do it again, and again, and again.... the learning never stops. Kind of fun to look at it from a different view?!:smile:

Great Post! My friend, Gene Nagy (RIP) used to study kids playing pool. He said he learned a lot from watching them play. They hadn't yet learned what is 'supposed' to be right or wrong at the table and their attitude was pure enjoyment and not work.

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Post! My friend, Gene Nagy (RIP) used to study kids playing pool. He said he learned a lot from watching them play. They hadn't yet learned what is 'supposed' to be right or wrong at the table and their attitude was pure enjoyment and not work.

Thanks Fran:)!

We all have it, just open up to it. Let the emotions flow and there is many possibilities, hold on to just one "it´s very hard" - tension.

Fuel the "tank" - mind with "I can do it" and the game will appear as easy. Appear,- just another app you have added, - another road - another view........ to see things.

If you choose, - your choice to see it on the "hard" road, blocking views - it won`t appear.....

Pool is easy, - just connect the dots :).
Let the possibilities flow like a river, see the table from above and you will see all the angles better - connect the dots.

If you choose to see them just as 1 - contact point - it´s easy to miss the target.

Every shot is a straight shot, distance is distance, nor hard or easy - just is.
Can you shoot a stopshot, a straight shot, a straight stroke, a straight thought - you can play the game.

Work on the basics, all basics.

The will (I) and the word (what you fill it with) = the outcome.

Btw - a pool is something you fill with fuel of your choice.
If I may suggest to fill it with "I CAN" = things that make you go further with Joy, Happines, Harmony, Balance, Structure, Build, Laf, Empathy, Helping, Peace.......
I like to sum it up as LOVE.

(The other rout to take is the opposite, and for me that it´s to Painful.)

And I do Love this game:).

I guess you have now understood that I mean more than Billiards.
The road may be bumpy but if you have the goal clear the task to get there is easier.
Straight the angles out, connect the dots.

Take care and thanks for being a part of AZB, everyone contributes, Open forum...

Chrippa

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play a practice game shooting spot shots.
Ob on spot cb in kitchen.shoot ob in corner pocket.>no banks allowed>
Cb has to end back in kitchen.ob respotted and has to be made in oppisite
Corner pocket. Play cb as it lies. Miss start over.cb doesnt end in kitchen start over.
Get to shoot a lot of spot shots from diff positions.

I have leaned thru "quantity" how to make spot shots from anywhere in kitchen,
and get cb almost anywhere. Knowing my limitations is also valuable.

A lot can be learned from repition especially when the activity is the same ,only
differant.