The Quite Eye

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched the World 10 Ball Championships2022.
The one thing that stuck out to me was how long (in seconds) the very good players stayed at the set position before pulling the cue back to shoot.
Some players took as long as 6 seconds before pulling the cue back to shoot.
I have incorporated this method into my practice routine and it works very well.
Hope you enjoy also. Give it a try.
One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, what ever works for you.
John

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think Quiet Eye's focus quiets the mind - to calm nerves for a smooth take away in the stroke. Everything
else involving aiming calculations are done before it. SPF taught in pool - Set, Pause, Finish
SET or even PRE-SET is where all the aiming and calculations for speed and spin take place.

Putting in golf is most similar to pool. You have a tool (putter/pool cue); a ball; a hole; aim and alignment; PAUSE; the stroke.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Oh yeah - I forgot about CTE's magic aiming method, where the final aim line for every shot is in the book and videos.
Seems to me like a normal person, as opposed to a psycho nut case would just get the book, watch the videos and STFU.
Cookie and I have both forgotten more than you ever knew that's important. But you've never known much of anything that's really valid or important to be an upper-level player and why you're a hack.

Way to go PJ, bring CTE into the thread and turn it into what you always do.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Have somebody read that back to you a few times.

pj <- though 2 out of 3 ain't bad
chgo
You need more help where it counts. Order a new set of these to help your pathetic pool game. I think your old kit is outdated.

I forgot, get a new one of these also. It's the latest version. ALL of the top pro players own this and swear by it for having gotten them to the top of their games. (I know you have the original one)

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
If you are choosing the final aim line on your last stroke, then you might be doing something wrong
I think that's the point. You play your best when you let your vastly superior subconscious mind control the shot. The pauses allow your subconscious to take control over the stroke and decide the 'final aim line' for you.

You can actively choose whatever you want. Decoupling that decision making process and allowing HAMB to do it's job is how to gain higher proficiency, imo.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that's the point. You play your best when you let your vastly superior subconscious mind control the shot. The pauses allow your subconscious to take control over the stroke and decide the 'final aim line' for you.

You can actively choose whatever you want. Decoupling that decision making process and allowing HAMB to do it's job is how to gain higher proficiency, imo.
What I picture from what you are saying is a player using a lot of body English lol.
I have no problem letting my subconscious take over but I just can’t see it deciding the final aim line. That final aim line should be well defined before even going down into shooting position

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
What I picture from what you are saying is a player using a lot of body English lol.
Oh god no. Not at all... Sure there are folks that chicken the wing the hell out of everything, but lets pretend we're discussing competent players.

The very minor adjustments the mind makes for you, (even when you believe you have complete control) would be naked to your eye. I'd argue that the majority of misses by strong players are born from forcing an incorrect "aim" line by the conscious and noisey mind.
I have no problem letting my subconscious take over but I just can’t see it deciding the final aim line. That final aim line should be well defined before even going down into shooting position
No one decides the final aim line while standing. They can have an extremely close approximation of that final aim, but adjustments are made when down on the ball even if they don't want to admit it. Ignorance is bliss in this regard, and is in essence invisible proof of the subconscious mind at work.

I have yet to see anyone close their eyes at the standing position. Get down on the shot and pull the trigger successfully on anything beyond the extremely basic shots. If what you saying about final aim lines is true then you can pull this off repeatedly on nearly anything.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh god no. Not at all... Sure there are folks that chicken the wing the hell out of everything, but lets pretend we're discussing competent players.

The very minors adjustments the mind makes for you, (even when you believe you have complete control) would be naked to your eye. I'd argue that the majority of misses by strong players are born from forcing an incorrect "aim" line by the conscious and noisey mind.

No one decides the final aim line while standing. They can have an extremely close approximation of that final aim, but adjustments are made when down on the ball even if they don't want to admit it. Ignorance is bliss in this regard, and is in essence invisible proof of the subconscious mind at work.

I have yet to see anyone close their eyes at the standing position. Get down on the shot and pull the trigger successfully on anything beyond the extremely basic shots. If what you saying about final aim lines is true then you can pull this off repeatedly on nearly anything.
Decide the final aim line while standing. Go down and possibly make your final adjustments very early, like right away, not on your final stroke
The adjustments though are really to your aim line that you decided to use while standing. Everything better look good right then or it’s body English or steering of the cue for you.

I do like the way you guys try to twist things though. Creative minds you guys got.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm not twisting anything, as I'm only discussing my beliefs on how the physical/mental mechanism of aiming/shooting occurs. I'm not a PhD of any subject of study. Take my comments with a grain of salt.
Decide the final aim line while standing. Go down and possibly make your final adjustments very early, like right away, not on your final stroke
Completely agree.
The adjustments though are really to your aim line that you decided to use while standing. Everything better look good right then or it’s body English or steering of the cue for you.
Speaking only for myself, yes and no. When I transition from standing to the shooting stance. I land on my predetermined "aim line", everytime. It's not until I'm down on the shot do I know the extend of the variables that may alter my aim. I can only do this with accuracy when I'm down on the ball. I'm sure I could guessimate but I don't know visually how much a CB with squirt horizontally when I'm viewing the shot vertically. If it's a shot without any required side english, then the odds are that I could just pull the trigger and enjoy the success.

To provide an physical explanation..: I don't decide prior to getting down on the ball that I need a 'full tip of right english', or what have you. I just know that I will need right english. I do know my standing 'aim line' puts the OB in the portion of the pocket I want. Once I'm down on the ball, I then determine how much english (measure it in 'tips' if it helps) I need and calculate the amount of squirt I can expect based on that english and shot force. That squirt will of course alter the shot, so I compensate by adjusting my aim line. I tend to be a heavy spin player so this applies to most situations. ...and by heavy I don't mean a large amount of spin, but rather steady use of it. ...and by 'aim line' I mean the vector my cue is travelling along.

None of the above plays a roll in the final stroke though.

I could unplug from the process and just let my subconscous mind do this lifting. I'd wager this is what some refer to as "the zone". However what I believe is missing from the subconscious auto-correct is the "bigger picture". It knows to put the ball in the hole while hitting the CB this way. What it doesn't know is how the subtle differences in how the shot is played will effect the pattern. Again, as I said earlier. I'm not a PhD in anything so assume I'm talking out of my ass.

Regardless... Everything leading up to the final stroke is a means to lock in the conscious intent. Quiet eye boiled down to my opinion is the theory wherein we perform better if we shut off the noise (worry, doubt, distractions) and let the mind auto-perform the conscious intent. The pauses between the final draw back and follow thru are a means to decouple the conscious and subconscious. If you conscious decision (aim) is flawed. Which is something you wouldn't be aware of because you'd be correcting for it otherwise. Then you're far better off allowing your HAMB trained subconscious auto-tune (adjust aim) on that final stroke.
I do like the way you guys try to twist things though. Creative minds you guys got.
I'm not twisting anything. Just providing my opinion based on my experience. That doesn't mean my opinion is better than yours. Just that I come by mine honestly.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How could you possibly have any idea about any of this? As a long time CTE user you don't have an aim line to adjust from. All you know about is A,B, and C perceptions. What do you mean by "everything better look good." You mean the shot should look "on" based on HAMB? Is that what you as a CTE user is advocating? I thought the pocket was irrelevant with CTE.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How could you possibly have any idea about any of this? As a long time CTE user you don't have an aim line to adjust from. All you know about is A,B, and C perceptions. What do you mean by "everything better look good." You mean the shot should look "on" based on HAMB? Is that what you as a CTE user is advocating? I thought the pocket was irrelevant with CTE.
Go back to sleep. We are talking about pool here. In the general context of pool do you agree with my statement or not? Shots should “look on” no matter which way you are aiming. Do you not think shots can look on when using CTE? You wouldn’t know would you, considering you don’t know how to use CTE. And for clarification we sure do have an aim line. And we can make adjustments to that line depending on circumstances You are so clue less about CTE there should be a sticky that says Dan White is never allowed to mention cte.

Or do you think the subconscious makes a last minute adjustment during the last stroke which in my opinion would lead to steering the cue causing the use of body English.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And for clarification. CTE does have an aim line, and a sight line. They lead to the NISL which is exact and rings out Center Pocket Music baby