the right way for ivory?

deadstroke89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey guys i have read through all the threads in the cuemaker question and i havent seen anything on this.. what is the right way to put a fiber pad on ivory? i think my prep work is right i sand the ivory with 220 and the scuff the pad. i use super glue to attach the two, but i still let a tip popping off wih little side pressure. can tempature be a major factor?
thanks for the information.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
hey guys i have read through all the threads in the cuemaker question and i havent seen anything on this.. what is the right way to put a fiber pad on ivory? i think my prep work is right i sand the ivory with 220 and the scuff the pad. i use super glue to attach the two, but i still let a tip popping off wih little side pressure. can tempature be a major factor?

How are you applying pressure?

What type of pad are you using, and are you trimming the Pad even with the ferrule before you apply the tip or are you doing it all at one time?

Are you sanding the bottom of the tip before you install it?

It sounds like you are not properly applying pressure or you are not doing so long enough or your not preparing the tip correctly.

deadstroke89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the pressure is just moving the tailstock until i see glue coming out the sides and i shave the carbon pad flush with the ivory before scuffing the tip i just place a drop of glue in the center i dont cover the whole tip with glue. i think that its the temp. or the time im leaving it in the lathe

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the pressure is just moving the tailstock until i see glue coming out the sides and i shave the carbon pad flush with the ivory before scuffing the tip i just place a drop of glue in the center i dont cover the whole tip with glue. i think that its the temp. or the time im leaving it in the lathe

Use a fibre pad and epoxy. I have one that has been on for nearly
30 years. No, I don't shoot with it anymore, but I did for over 10 years.

Dale

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
I face the pad before I install the tip. Don't touch the surface with your hands or you will transfer oils from your skin and the tip will never adhere properly. You need to sand the tip before you install, layered tips need to be primed.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

I think the problem is that you are not using enough glue, you should cover the top of the ferrule not just a drop of glue, I also use the Carbon Pads and I have never had a problem using them.

I don't know what else to say.

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I have never sanded the ivory ferrule, just face with a sharp tool and blow off with compressed air.

Alan

dave sutton

Banned
I think your problem it temp. If it's too cold you glue will not set up properly. Where are you doing you work. U heated garage?

I use locktite gel. Gel type super glue stays somewhat pliable. It doesn't get so hard as to be brittle and crack from impact.