The Shot Heard 'round The City - Meeker

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Wow, too bad I missed that match. Thanks for the transcription
Watch bit of his earlier match v Ruslan and he also smashed his cue when he missed a ball
Have no opinion on whether final ball should be conceded- I think it is ok either way

So was his miss worst than Karl Boyes miss on this 8 ball ? :D

https://youtu.be/1LHe2FQFYtQ?t=10

wow spartan; how in the world was his opponent able to have absolutely zero change in his facial expression watching that miss? I mean ZERO!

Karl seemed to have a change in his. :eek:

and that was also hill/hill.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Games/Sports where a concession is commonplace:

Golf (match play) - a hole
Snooker - a frame
Chess - a game
Politics - an election
Bridge - tricks
Magic - a round

In golf holes are only usually conceded when it would be mathematically impossible for the other player to force a halve. The other things listed work similarly where a comeback or a victory is literally impossible. That's different than playing out a rack of ten ball.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
In golf holes are only usually conceded when it would be mathematically impossible for the other player to force a halve. The other things listed work similarly where a comeback or a victory is literally impossible. That's different than playing out a rack of ten ball.

whats different about it? If you're leading 9-2 in a race to 10 and youre on the money ball, you can have it champ i'm out of here.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He said a hole. Not a match. Players give each other one foot putts on individual holes all the time. It has nothing to do with where the match is at overall.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
whats different about it? If you're leading 9-2 in a race to 10 and youre on the money ball, you can have it champ i'm out of here.
It's different because it's not mathematically impossible to come back which was my point. Improbable is not impossible. Reading is fundamental.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
He said a hole. Not a match. Players give each other one foot putts on individual holes all the time. It has nothing to do with where the match is at overall.
Conceding a putt is not conceding a hole. Because of the nature of golf you can concede a putt to your opponent and still halve or win the hole. Conceding a hole occurs when your opponent made birdie and you miss your hole out from the fairway to halve.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
It was one of those racks when Mika got to the table, you thought, "He's out. This is a pretty surprising upset for him to knock out Shane."

When he made the 8 ball, he left the cueball long with a funny angle on the 9. The 9 ball was close to the pocket and just off the rail, but again the angle was funny. He couldn't exactly go rail first and come around three rails, and he couldn't exactly just draw back to get good on the 10.

He took the only viable option, which was to force follow with the straight-ish angle two rails out of the corner, and he landed up with the CB near the side pocket. The 10 ball was near the vicinity of the foot spot.

The shot on the 10 wasn't a gimmie, but it was the type of shot that you expect a good player to make 9 out of 10 times. Since he had to awkwardly bridge over the side rail, it ticked up the difficulty of the shot and made it an 8.5 out of 10.

This was that .5 moment.

what would you say that shot, as it sat, would be for a world champion like Mika?

I'm thinking for him that was way above an 85% makeable shot, no doubt about it. Maybe like in the 99% range.

best,
brian kc

octy81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what pool is all about you never know what is going to happen. My dad always said make your opponent shoot every shot . I see it everytime your opponent talks so much crap gets all cocky and then they f up the last shot. To me the game is not over until the money ball is down .

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other sports let the time run out or go at half speed, once the final outcome cant be changed.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't think a ball should ever be conceded. Respect the rules of the game.

Is there any other sport out there where balls, runs, goals, laps, etc are conceded? I am sure I am thinking to deep now, but maybe that is one reason pool is not consider a sport? It's definitely not paid like a sport. Perhaps it is just a game. A game in which I love.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weird things happen in pressure situations - before, during, and after. It's just as easy (or even easier) to lose concentration after you think you have won as when the outcome is uncertain.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ouch

I feel his pain. It can happen to any one.

I was in a 9 Ball tournament a couple of years ago when my opponent made and scratched on the 9.

I spotted the 9, took ball in hand and missed the corner pocket by about 2 inches.
Not my proudest moment. But, I have missed many easy shots in my mediocre pool career.

I have seen several pro players miss shots that were easy shots. It happens to about every one sooner or later.

I may shake my head in disgust at my self, but I never show my ass and throw a fit.

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel his pain. It can happen to any one.

I was in a 9 Ball tournament a couple of years ago when my opponent made and scratched on the 9.

I spotted the 9, took ball in hand and missed the corner pocket by about 2 inches.
Not my proudest moment. But, I have missed many easy shots in my mediocre pool career.

I have seen several pro players miss shots that were easy shots. It happens to about every one sooner or later.

I may shake my head in disgust at my self, but I never show my ass and throw a fit.

I have missed many easy shots before and I felt like crawling in a hole and dying. One of the weirdest and most surprising moments I have ever seen which involved a "gimme" shot happened in scotch doubles league play several years ago. One of players, who was an APA 4 or 5, on the opposing doubles team missed a routine 9 ball with BIH and somehow left my lower ranked partner safe. Play came back around to me after the second player on the other team missed the 9. On my turn I made the 9 ball but scratched in the side pocket at a weird angle. My partner insisted on making the other team shoot the 9 ball instead of conceding the ball. The player who originally missed the 9 ball with BIH missed the spotted 9 ball again and my partner finally made the 9. It was crazy and we all had a good laugh about it.