The state of pool in the U.S. A 'Rip Van Winkle' view.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
"I know all the diamond systems. I hit 80% of my banks now and rising."

I'm sorry, but this is where I tuned out. You'd be winning every bank pool tournament in the world.
I hear ya, but suspect the OP is not likely to enter tournaments. Maybe I'm wrong, it would be interesting to follow a name in a large well attended tournament.

Dave

jbart65

I hear ya, but suspect the OP is not likely to enter tournaments. Maybe I'm wrong, it would be interesting to follow a name in a large well attended tournament.

Dave
See my response to easy-e.

The OP - that's me - probably should have said, "up to 80%." Or just omitted a number entirely given the offense I have caused. Heck, I should just revise the line now, but then I'd be accused of being a "Revanchist." Or something.

And no, I am not likely to enter any large, well attended tournament. Me, being an "average pool player" for now, I'll just live vicariously thru Rollie Williams and his successors!

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See my response to easy-e.

The OP - that's me - probably should have said, "up to 80%." Or just omitted a number entirely given the offense I have caused. Heck, I should just revise the line now, but then I'd be accused of being a "Revanchist." Or something.

And no, I am not likely to enter any large, well attended tournament. Me, being an "average pool player" for now, I'll just live vicariously thru Rollie Williams and his successors!
Don't be so sensitive. I don't think you've offended anyone. It's just difficult sometimes to hear people on here make claims like the one you did and not challenge them on it. It's like when people claim they beat the ghost at some ridiculously high rate. Average pool players don't "know all the diamond systems" or hit "80% of their banks". If you'd have said it like "I study the diamond systems and my banks are improving by a lot", no one would question anything.

jbart65

Don't be so sensitive. I don't think you've offended anyone. It's just difficult sometimes to hear people on here make claims like the one you did and not challenge them on it. It's like when people claim they beat the ghost at some ridiculously high rate. Average pool players don't "know all the diamond systems" or hit "80% of their banks". If you'd have said it like "I study the diamond systems and my banks are improving by a lot", no one would question anything.
I am, uh, joking!

You are right, though. I exaggerated. What I should have said is that I've studied the diamond systems and my banks are improving by a lot.©️

As for the ghost, I am too frightened to contemplate how many times I would lose. I am not ... banking on that changing anytime soon.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@jbart65
I think I misread the original post and maybe judged you a bit prematurely. I think I get you better now after reading a few more of your posts. I see you've been here a few months now -- but welcome to the forum anyway.

L.S. Dennis

I think sometimes it's just a matter of people (particularly young people) not ready to learn. When I was 12 or 13 this man pictured below attempted to teach how to play position and not just blast every shot. I needed to get little older to realize what he was the value of what he was saying. Some of you old timers will remember this guy,,,

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

jbart65

@jbart65
I think I misread the original post and maybe judged you a bit prematurely. I think I get you better now after reading a few more of your posts. I see you've been here a few months now -- but welcome to the forum anyway.
Why, thank you! I‘ve actually been reading AZB regularly for about three years. My application got hung up way back when and I couldn’t post. Then for some odd reason I sent a message to an administrator a few weeks ago to unfreeze my application and my account started working.

Good pool players are some of the most interesting people I meet. A number are rather prickly too. I don't know why.

Whatever the case, i just love the game. Loved it since I was a little kid watching Willie and Fats on Wide World of Sports. Just glad after all these years that I have a table of my own now and can play as long as I want.

I have a lot of catching up to do and no time to waste!

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I guess part of the reason I am hesitant to play many systems is the fact that when I used to play before taking about 12 years off I knew almost everything. 🤓 I read all the books, did DeadAim's kicking academy etc. Studied 3 rail billiards books. Studied books on strategy. I could calculate a 2 rail bank 4 different ways with different numbering on the rails and such. I had an absolute crap load of info in my head. I read the books and poured over them on breaks at work (pre smart phone days). I studied them and quizzed myself, like interanally I knew it. I lived and breathed pool but only could "play" (be at the hall) about 8 hours a week. I may have only been on the table 4 hours a week.

With all this info I sucked majorly. I could not pot more than 2-3 balls in a row. All games devolved into safety battles and without 3 foul I might have to get BIH 6 times or more to win a game of 8 ball. My safe game was on point and I could almost literally not be put anywhere on the table I couldn't get at least a hit on the ball. I could torture someone, a single game of 8 ball might take 20 minutes.

I still lost so much, just absolutely awful. But by damn did I know all sorts of stuff. A dozen ways to aim, mirror systems, gearing systems, wagon wheel/clock faces, diamonds, sid systems, etc.

When I started back I started focusing hard on fundamentals mainly thanks to a buddy who coached me some, and focused on actually making shots. It's amazing how much you can win with shot making and an empty head. Once you get this and the CB to listen you are on your way. The subconscious takes care of the "light work" of calculations. If you focus and intently watch what the ball does off of a rail you begin to make adjustments without much conscious effort. It's great to learn things but you gotta practice it out until it becomes rote or routine. Telling an APA 3 how to do 2 rail bank systems and 3 rail kicks isn't the most glaring fix for their game. Most league players are at this level. If they don't first fix the 12" hole in their rowboat fixing the 1" hole won't matter much. They are still sunk. I'm not an instructor but I'm guessing most good instructors will tailor lessons and try to fix the most glaring holes before teaching multi rail kick route calculations.

Most people would do much better off learning fundamentals and to stay down and actually take in what's happening rather than learn exotic systems. Plus they very seldom put in enough work to make the systems stick in their head. Giving a drowning man an asprin isn't much help, better to throw a life preserver ring. 😅

jbart65

All very good points, Boogieman. I do have too much information in my head, I admit.

I am a fast learner, however, and things tend to stick. My fundamentals are also pretty good. I am potting a lot of balls and making clear progress every week.

Obviously as I pot more balls my natural instincts will take over. Things will become more natural.

Yet even though I was away from the game a long time, the muscle memory from my youth … I still have it.

Learning to shoot at such a young age is like learning a language. Some things I just know that players who started later in life don’t. Some tuff shots I can still make that better players than me struggle with.

The issue is consistency. Of habit. Preshot route, stroke, follow thru, thinking several balls ahead. It’s coming, but we all know what that involves.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Well, here it goes. My first thread.

I am sort of like a pool version of Rip Van Winkle. I played a ton as a youngster, then "slept" for 30 years before "reawakening" to the game again. I play a few hours a day now, go to the pool hall several times a month and watch a ton of professional pool, both new and old.

Since getting back into the game two years ago, I’ve been to a handful of pool halls in the Northeast. I’ve also played a lot with family and friends.

Here are my first-hand, if idiosyncratic, observations of the game in the U.S.

The first thing that strikes me is how little has changed compared to 30 years ago, when I was a kid playing at home on a so-so 8-foot table.

Most people who play casually or semi-regularly play 8-ball. Nine-ball is foreign to them.

Quite a few of them are actually decent at putting in balls, it turns out.

Take my best friend, Joe. He owns a nice table. He’s been playing for 40 years and thinks he’s pretty good relative to those he plays against. He can knock in 3-4 in a row every so often if the table isn’t so complicated.

But position play or position awareness? Very little if any.

Until I taught him, the words “follow,” “stun” and “draw” were foreign to him. He instinctively uses follow and stun - never draw except by accident - but he had no idea what they were.

Sometimes he can see one ball ahead. And he is kind of aware that he wants the white ball to end up in a good spot. But most of the time he fires a shot - and I do mean fire - and doesn’t think a ton about where the cue ball will end up.

I was the same way as a kid. I learned some positional awareness, to be sure, but not much.

Ironically, I became a really good shotmaker as a young-un because I had to be. The cue ball was often in bad spots!

I learned a lot the past two years, though.

I’ve watched hundreds of hours of video from DrCue, Sharivari, Tor Lowry, FXbilliards, Neils Feijin, Lil Chris and, of course, DrDave (and AZB stalwart Bob Jewett).

They’ve almost become like old friends. (-:

What I have found has surprised me, however.

Most regulars at my pool hall are better and more experienced than me. But in most cases, my technical knowledge or grasp of the fundamentals of the game now exceeds all of them. And often by a big margin.

You can see that these players have a lot of strong elements to their game, but they also have gaping holes. So very few break and run, certainly not regularly.

One good player I know, for instance, refuses to learn the diamond system. Claims tables are too variable.

He banks OK, but I know all the diamond systems. I hit 80% of my banks now and rising. And yet he still hasn’t shown an interest in learning.

Here is the good thing, thorough. Most players have a hunger to learn more. They just don’t know where to look.

Some newbies have watched me, for instance, and asked me to teach them!

Why? They hear me consistently explain things to other players in a way that they haven’t heard before.

Even some of the more experienced players are asking me stuff now. I am beating them more regularly and they are seeing me do stuff they never thought to do. I often point them to the various teachers online that I have learned from.

The unfortunate thing is, most are unaware just how much information about the game is on the web now. Not just instruction, but live or historical matches. I'd guess a lot less than half know who Shane Van Boening is. Ask them to name a player and Mosconi or Minnesota Fats would be the names they mention. Maybe Mizerak.

Most people still learn by just playing, watching other players, or getting the occasional tip. Hardly any watch pros play, especially since pool has disappeared from mainstream television.

The result is, very few have complete games.

This general lack of awareness is not something I see among, say, devout football fans. They read the guys who break down games and can tell you all kinds of stuff about stunts and blitzes and safety coverage and so on.

Pool, on the other hand, is more like a dark art whose knowledge is disseminated sparingly and incompletely.

Just like me three years ago, most players simply don’t know what they don’t know.

I am not sure how, or if, that changes.

The international outlook for pool arguably has never been better, but its position in the U.S. is more tenuous.
When I quit playing, ten ball wasn't on the roster. Bar box tourneys were small local events, with some exceptions. One hole wasn't played by young players. Imagine my surprise at coming back to see all the aforementioned changes occuring. I was lost given the new ball in hand and open table rules in 8 ball which I didn't play much of, or the break changes to 9 ball, how much the sport had grown, new cue companies, etc... Lot for an old fart to take in. 😂😂

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
When I quit playing, ten ball wasn't on the roster. Bar box tourneys were small local events, with some exceptions. One hole wasn't played by young players. Imagine my surprise at coming back to see all the aforementioned changes occuring. I was lost given the new ball in hand and open table rules in 8 ball which I didn't play much of, or the break changes to 9 ball, how much the sport had grown, new cue companies, etc... Lot for an old fart to take in. 😂😂
Excellent post, btw...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think sometimes it's just a matter of people (particularly young people) not ready to learn. When I was 12 or 13 this man pictured below attempted to teach how to play position and not just blast every shot. I needed to get little older to realize what he was the value of what he was saying. Some of you old timers will remember this guy,,,
Tugboat Whaley! His hustle was to come into the poolroom wearing the uniform of a tugboat captain, hat and all. And it worked too for the better part of thirty years. He was a good player who became a tournament official. A pool lifer, like me.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you jbart65 for your first thread and an interesting one at that. Here's my take on Pool in America today compared to 30 or 40 years ago. First of all overall levels of participation are way down across the country. Only twenty years ago pool was still one of the most popular participant sporting activites in the country with close to 40 million saying they played the game at least a few times a year (like once a month to once a week or more). I think we were number three back then after walking/hiking and swimming I believe. What I do know for sure is that pool was way ahead of tennis and golf and running neck and neck with bowling. I think you can find the actual stats on the BCA website.

That's all changed in the last twenty years. Pool participation is barely over twenty million a year now. The number of poolrooms has dropped dramatically, although home table sales are up, so that's a good thing. Pro pool has changed too. It has become an accepted worldwide sport, with major tournaments held all over the globe, and some decent prize money for the first time in eons. There are actually working pool pros making a good living at the game. As recently as ten years ago nearly every pool professional was scratching to make a living. Unfortunately that has not translated to the United States. We have less than a handful of successful pro players here. There are only a few major tournaments held on our shores, and the big poolroom events still reign supreme here. Almost the same as it was twenty plus years ago, when most of the tournaments were held in poolrooms.

The good news for pool enthusiasts is that pool has become a major worldwide sport, being played pretty much everywhere. Worldwide participation is at an all time high, probably in the hundreds of millions who play on a regular basis. I have heard that in China alone there are over 100 million active recreational players.

One other thing I noticed is that, like you, the guys who have tables at home and play in local tournaments typically become good players. Not pros, but good! In my day you had to hang in poolrooms to learn the game. There were no videos and other tutorials to study. So we went to the poolroom and paid our dues, playing better players, observing and asking questions. You got that part right! So there may be more good amateur players here than ever before. That's why you will often see a no-name player knock off a big gun in a pro tournament. So many good amateurs don't follow the pro circuit of events and only play locally for the most part. They have jobs and families to support.

Thanks again jbart.

L.S. Dennis

Tugboat Whaley! His hustle was to come into the poolroom wearing the uniform of a tugboat captain, hat and all. And it worked too for the better part of thirty years. He was a good player who became a tournament official. A pool lifer, like me.
Yeah, I knew some of us old timers would remember him. The last time I saw him was at Cochrans resting on one of the back tables one afternoon.

jbart65

In my day you had to hang in poolrooms to learn the game. There were no videos and other tutorials to study. So we went to the poolroom and paid our dues, playing better players, observing and asking questions. You got that part right! So there may be more good amateur players here than ever before. That's why you will often see a no-name player knock off a big gun in a pro tournament. So many good amateurs don't follow the pro circuit of events and only play locally for the most part. They have jobs and families to support.
It is amazing to me the resources available to learn the nuances of the game. You'd think that might make pool more popular here.

When I was a kid, there were a few books available (Robert Byrne) and that was pretty much it. It was hard to learn except by doing what I did. Try all kinds of seemingly crazy stuff that, it turned out, wasn't so crazy. Even so, I and many others had big gaps in our games.

The expense of playing is also prohibitive for most trying to learn the game.

I help a young guy who is learning, but he can only afford to play 4-6 hours a week. I can go home and practice as much as I want. This year I am potting at least 15 bank shots a day as part of my daily practice sessions. That's 5,500 shots alone. It would cost quite a bit if I was doing all this at the pool hall.

And while I am familiar with the best pros like Gorst, Filler, FSB, Shaw, SVB - not to mention characters like Jay Helfert! - most players at my hall aren't familiar with the pro scene.

Which makes me curious why there has been an uptick in pool table sales. The pandemic sent sales soaring because everyone was indoors. But sales are returning to pre-pandemic levels based on my conversations with local dealers.