The "why" of the success of CTE and the coaching of Stan Shuffett

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Is there a statistical difference between the efficacy of a parallel strike vs. a pivoted strike?
Regardless of traditional shaft or LD shaft, is one angle of attack more likely to produce squirt than the other?
Only one angle of attack works for the shot - “parallel” & pivoted are different ways of getting to the same place.

pj
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Only one angle of attack works for the shot - “parallel” & pivoted are different ways of getting to the same place.

pj
chgo

And, as you pointed out in a different thread once, the "parallel" method probably isn't truly parallel. It feels parallel to the player, but a true parallel shift would not provide the same cb path as the bhe method when all other factors are equivalent (same shaft, tip, stroke speed, and cue elevation).

For those who struggle pocketing balls when applying english:

Using a halfball shot to the right as an example, where the ob is about 2 feet from the cb and a medium stroke speed is going to be used, your cue is first lined straight through ccb to the left edge of the ob. Using bhe from this shot/aim line, you pivot your back hand just enough to apply 1 tip of right english. Now your cue is on a line a few degrees off from the shot line (anywhere from about 2° to 4° depending on your bridge hand placement). The objective is to offset the cb squirt angle, so even though you're angled a few degrees right of the shot line, the cb will squirt left, very close to the same offset angle you created with the bhe move. This is why you have to experiment with your specific cue in order to find the correct bridge distance that balances out the cb squirt angle with the bhe pivot angle. There is cb swerve also (slight masse due to the natural elevation of your cue on a normal stroke), which is really just a factor on longer shots with at least a few feet between cb and ob. But it's also speed dependent, meaning a soft stroke can make swerve an issue on closer shots too.

Using "parallel" english on this same halfball shot will have your entire cue stick shifted exactly 1 tip right of the shot line, not angled a few degrees from it. The cb will still squirt a few degrees to the left when you hit it. And since you aren't compensating for the squirt you're likely going to overcut the ob. Since the distance between the balls is only a couple of feet, you would need a softer stroke to allow some cb swerve to occur, hopefully just enough to offset the squirt so that the cb contacts the ob as needed.

Paying attention to where your cue/stroke is pointed in relation to the shot line, and paying attention to how the cb moves in reference to the shot line, is how you eventually gain the experience needed to just step up to any shot and automatically know how to strike the cb with any spin and still be able to pocket the ob.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE Pro One marches on...it cannot be stopped.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!.:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:
CONGRATULATIONS TO TYLER STYER 2019 KREMLIN CUP CHAMPION
Earning the title of CHAMPION is something that most can only dream of. Fantastic job, Tyler.
Chalk one up for Hal Houle as CTE PRO ONE shines brightly on the international stage.
Real Center-to-Edge is here to stay.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"but...but...but...but....ad nauseum

1. "but, but, he dropped his elbow" (thus spaketh some overpriced instructors)
2. "That system of CTE is a big lie and Shuffett misleads in order to sell stuff"
3. "It's just an obscure aiming system...(even though the quoter babbled about it incessantly for over 15 years so it wouldn't be obscure)
4. "Mosconi didn't do that"....(Mosconi didn't run 626 balls either. So what?)
5. "It will never work, fractions are the way to go". (thus spaketh the book writing people)

Tyler Styer is in Moscow, Russia.
4 hrs
Very pleased to win the Kremlin Cup. David Alcaide has been cueing the ball extremely well this year and played a great event to get to the final. For me to beat someone of his caliber in the final, which is always a high standard, feels great. He's had a great year so far and is definitely in contention for a captain's pick in the Mosconi Cup. We didnt play perfect whole set, but to play perfect pool for 15 games is a little unreasonable under the circumstances. Overall it is was a good match and happy to get my hands on my first trophy.
Thanks so much to all the organizers and sponsors of the event. Its was a great tournament. Beautiful venue, ceremonies, tables, match times, etc. Cant wait to be back.
Thanks so much to my supportive family, girlfriend, friends, fans, and sponsors!
Next up is the Dream Challenge against the Russians tomorrow!
Diamondpooltables.com
ManningCues.com
Predator
Photo Tyler wins jpg.JPG

stockbob55

Registered
even a blind squirrel.......

He played very well and won against world class opponents. He has improved massively over the past 18 months and looks likely to make the Mosconi Cup again this year.

Respect is deserved and earned in this young mans case. :)

Just Saying.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he played very well and won against world class opponents. He has improved massively over the past 18 months and looks likely to make the mosconi cup again this year.

just saying.

amen........

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He played very well and won against world class opponents. He has improved massively over the past 18 months and looks likely to make the Mosconi Cup again this year.

Just Saying.

I fully agree with everything you just said! Our country should be very proud of Tyler Styer's determination, talent, and competitive spirit.

To attribute his success to a system is naive.

Respectfully,

BOXCAR

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you the nut that goes with the blind squirrel? Asking for a friend
That's a pretty good thought, CookieMan.
There are sure plenty of nuts out there who will do or say just about anything to disparage someone who 'rocks the boat' of how they think things ought to be.
Tyler gives a lot of credit to the coaching and training of Stan Shuffett as well as the coaching and managing of Johan.
And, Tyler has burned the midnight oil in concentrated training efforts at the table.
Those who laugh and belittle the CTE method are lost in the past. Their thinking is antique.
Not only is CTE an aiming method. it is an all encompassing NEW way to approach the entire game of shooting pool...it is a VISUAL system. (the mass of detractors continue to not understand this)
A psychiatrist would say they're the ultimate narcissists due to what the shrinks refer to as 'gaslighting' (a classic form of manipulation). They are deeply insecure with a desperate need to strike out and ridicule things with which they do not agree. Narcissism is the number one dysfunctional personality disorder.
It seems to be rampant among the lower echelon of pool players. Especially those who drink too much, look for fights too much, talk too much, have over inflated opinions of their own self worth and are usually obnoxious boors. Couple narcissism with codependency from dysfunctional childhoods and you have a powder keg ready to explode at a moment's notice.

JC

Coos Cues
I often do a 20-shot test of the same shots so see if I've experienced any improvement (a good mix of simple to difficult shots). In March of 2017 I started CTE after purchasing Stan's DVD-2. I watched it several times, got a headache and set it aside thinking it was impossible without help. I later revisited it, tried it again on the table - and it started to click (wished I could have gotten a lesson from Tyler before he moved out of Wisconsin).

Before I started it up again in June-2018 I was still shooting about 33% - trying to regain my familiarity with the parallel line method that I had used in college 30 years ago. I only play a few hours a week and so the game wasn't becoming any more fun.

Fast forward to 2019. Same test - different results. I'm shooting 60-73%. Now all I do is laugh when naysayers knock the system. I'm having so much fun with the game and seem to be continually improving over time (esp. those areas of speed/spin to the cue ball). Again - Keep in mind - I play only about 4-6 hours a week and have a severe astigmatism with slight cataracts (will never be 20/20).

I do wonder how Stan is doing. I'm concerned that the stress of introducing the system and the continual rudeness towards him by many on AZ and elsewhere has take a toll on his health.

73% =100% games/sets/matches lost in most places.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
lol

It's an obscure aiming system, not world peace.

More well known in pool than yours ever will be.
Or yours, whatever that’s supposed to mean.

And yet... still obscure, even in the pool world. The only place it’s even faintly known is this backwater pool subforum.

Consider that a good thing - it’s also the only place the CTE Magical Aiming cult’s silliness is well known.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And yet... still obscure, even in the pool world. The only place it’s even faintly known is this backwater pool subforum.

Consider that a good thing - it’s also the only place the CTE Magical Aiming cult’s silliness is well known.

pj
chgo

PJ stick to NPR. Oh that's right you've been taking a beating in there.lol

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

pj
chgo

That's where you are wrong. CTE is known by far more people than those who go to this forum. And a high number of those people are not tainted or influenced by the few consistently negative people who live on this "backwater forum" as you call it.

Every show I go to people come up to me constantly asking about CTE, sharing their experiences with me, comparing notes, ENJOYING their new aiming ability and enjoying pocketing more balls.

Better in every respect than Pat Johnson's Fidget Method. Now there is a super unknown and super silly and frankly, really quirky way to "aim". Get down and fidget until you think you have the right aim. Luckily for the 99.99% of players they won't have the opportunity to have their eyes painfully exposed to this eccentric method of playing demonstrated by a super nobody who hasn't ever won anything of significance and who never will.

Your contribution to pool is so insignificant that without Aiming Systems no one would ever care about any waste of bandwidth that you caused with your thoughts. For what 20years or so now pretty much your entire existence on these pool forums has been to knock methods that people use to become better players. That's something to be very proud of.

I will say this though, without you and the few other aiming system knockers CTE wouldn't be as sought after. You have been consistently great at one thing and that is providing a platform to introduce CTE to more people through the materials and study created to rebut your knocking and mocking comments. So thanks. Despite the pain you have tried to cause for two decades by your constant insults CTE and other great aiming systems have flourished and introduced tens of thousands of players to objective and precise aiming methods.

So, speaking for myself only, thank you for taking on the role of detractor and so diligently playing it. I can say with confidence that I have worked harder to understand aiming systems thanks to your constant put downs and inaccurate statements. CTE and other great methods wouldn't be worth anything if they could not be adequately demonstrated and defended. And, they have been to the satisfaction of thousands of players and will only get easier to learn and use as even more people adopt them.

Sincerely,

John "money where my mouth is" Barton

P.S. any time you want to try and beat me playing pool for a LOT of money feel free to bet anything over 10k and we can create a match. I am pretty sure that NO ONE wants to back Pat "Fidget Till You Get It" Johnson in a big match. But just in case you want to play and are ready to put your money where your mouth is I am right here ready to bet on myself.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pj
chgo
ROTFLMAO! You have this all ass backwards. It's the other way around. Just goes to show how tiny your little world of make believe is. This forum, your computer, and your tiny little apartment in Chicago is all you have.
From what I've been told and able to see in the archives of RSB, it was the same thing except a different forum for many years.
You're now up to 21 years of saying the same regurgitated words and negative garbage here in RSB and AZB.
You should get out more into the real world. A number of pro players are using CTE along with the top amateurs in the country.
I just made a post here a few days ago about Brian Parks. In the last 13 years he has WON the US Amateur 5 times and finished no worse than 4th in another 5 years. HE USES CTE AND IS A CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR FOR IT. Did he use it since 2006? No.
But he thought enough of it once he got involved to make the switch to keep the edge against young eyes and young guns and to teach it. He isn't the only top amateur using it either.
Stan gives more personal lessons at his location to players of all levels than you could imagine. (positive imagination isn't your strong suit to begin with). I was one of the lucky ones to experience it.
Get a life already. I've been told you're 72 now which is mind blowing to think you've been doing this since around age 50. Yep, you live in a very small confined world. CTE is growing worldwide every day.
Oh yes...here comes your usual dose of treats...jump boy, jump like a good boy.
Pavlov's Dog with captions.jpg

Last edited: