church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More replies :

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saturday 21 Aug 2021 02:37PM
WPBSA has published the Disciplinary Committee Hearing outcomes for 2020/21. Part 1 :

https://wpbsa.com/wp-content/uploads/WPBSA-Disciplinary-Outcomes-2020-to-2021.pdf :

Hearing date Name Allegation Event Date of Incident Rule Outcome 20/10/2020 Alfie Burden Inappropriate behaviour towards hotel staff in event hotel World Championship Qualifiers 26/07/2020 1.3 WPBSA Members Rules £1,000 fine suspended for 2020-21 season 14/12/2020 Jamie O'Neill Repeated inappropriate comments on social media N/A 14/12/2020 3.1, 3.1.5 and 3.1.6 WSL Players Contract £1,000 fine suspended until 13/12/2021 15/01/2021 Jamie O'Neill Posting 10 live streams on social media with inappropriate content N/A 01/01/2021 3.1, 3.1.5 and 3.1.6 WSL Players Contract Suspended £1,000 fine of 14/12/2021 imposed £1,000 fine suspended until 13/12/2021 24/01/2021 David Lilley Inappropriate behaviour and arguing with referee Seniors Masters Qualifiers 04/01/2021 1.1 and 1.3 WPBSA Members Rules Fined £100 and formal warning 24/01/2021 Gary Wilson Playing deliberate foul to concede the frame Championship League 07/01/2021 1.1 and 1.3 WPBSA Members Rules Fined £250 and formal warning 27/05/2021 Jamie O'Neill Inappropriate behaviour towards hotel staff and breaching hotel rules; Breach of event Covid policy; Unacceptable behaviour towards WST Staff Snooker Shoot Out Milton Keynes 06/02/2021 3.1, 3.1.5 and 3.1.6 WSL Players and 1.3 WPBSA Members Rules A two-event suspension and a suspended suspension until the conclusion of the 2022 World Championship; Ordered to pay suspended fine of £1,000 imposed 15/01/21; to pay £1,500 in costs

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saturday 21 Aug 2021 02:37PM
WPBSA has published the Disciplinary Committee Hearing outcomes for 2020/21. Part 2 :

https://wpbsa.com/wp-content/uploads/WPBSA-Disciplinary-Outcomes-2020-to-2021.pdf :

27/07/2021 Lu Ning Breach of WSL player's contract regarding broadcast appearance two cases N/A 15-16/05/2021 and 14-18/06/2021 3b vii WSL Players Contract Fined £1,500 and formal warning 27/07/2021 Xu Si Breach of WSL player's contract regarding broadcast appearance N/A 14-18/06/2021 3b vii WSL Players Contract Fined £500 and formal warning 27/07/2021 Zhao Jianbo Breach of WSL player's contract regarding broadcast appearance N/A 14-18/06/2021 3b vii WSL Players Contract Fined £500 and formal warning 10/07/2021 Zhao Jianbo Failure to take day 8 Covid test N/A 29/06/2021 1.3 WPBSA Members Rules Formal warning 10/07/2021 Gao Yang Failure to take day 8 Covid test N/A 29/06/2021 1.3 WPBSA Members Rules Formal warning

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Thorny Debate :​

https://greenbaize1972.com/the-thor...EAv2vmVoHhSCIa8LRZ1AEhaKDXvqRstS1WixmHN67KmYM :

The Thorny Debate​

By Elliott West

“THAT’S WHERE THE CRUCIBLE IS PRETTY TERRIBLE, REALLY. IT’S AN AMAZING PLACE TO PLAY WHEN YOU’RE IN THE SEMI-FINALS, ONE OF THE BEST VENUES YOU COULD EVER PLAY AT. BUT WHEN IT’S THAT SMALL, COMPACT ENVIRONMENT, IT’S NOT A GREAT VENUE TO PLAY AT FROM A PLAYER’S POINT OF VIEW. EVEN THOUGH YOU APPRECIATE ALL THE HISTORY THAT’S GONE ON THERE”.
Neil Robertson

Introduction

Neil Robertson recently sent sparks flying by saying that he wants changes to the ‘dated and stale’ format of the World Championship at the Crucible. His main gripe is that match lengths need to be shortened, especially the final, reducing it from the best of 35 frames to the best of 19 or 25. By keeping it at a lengthy format, he believes that players are prone to lose their focus and the visual audience dip in and out of matches, unlike other tournaments.
Neil also believes that the main bulk of the tournament should be moved away from the Crucible and played at a new location. If his strategy were to be implemented, the World Championship would return to the Crucible Theatre only for the semi-finals and final. Robertson feels that the current location is too cramped and small for a two-table set up in the early part of the tournament.

The Crucible Debate

A Shorter Format

Change can sometimes be a good thing and the World Championship has evolved over the years. In the early days of the tournament, the final was played over a week and now has been diluted to two days and this in my opinion, is the right option. By reducing the number of frames to 19 or 25, you would remove the snooker marathon element. The winner of this tournament has to play consistently well for seventeen days and be prepared for the long haul. That’s why the victor is such a worthy champion.
It’s true that viewers do dip and out of this event and only the stalwarts endure watching every ball potted in every single frame but you could say that of the recent football European Championship or the Olympics and Paralympics held in Tokyo. Not every match or event appeals to everyone in the audience and as long as the viewer watches some of it, they are supporting the sport involved.
Maybe tweaks will be made in the future to the frame format but I really don’t see it changing much. It does what it says on the tin so why change it? There will always be critics of any schedule and they always shout loudest when they feel there is an opportunity. I am not saying they are wrong because after all we live in a democracy and should mould and adapt. However, to rip up the blueprints and start again, would be utter madness.

A New Venue?

Robertsons’ comments are not as seismic as they have been portrayed because this is a debate that often crops especially around the staging of the World Championship. It always upsets the traditionalists and takes a while before the heightened response dies down. The World Championship is the brightest jewel of the Triple Crown events and is steeped in history, having been staged at the Crucible since 1977 and I have to admit I am one of those traditionalists. However, if you have ever been to the Crucible, you will appreciate the unique atmosphere you get here and not at other venues. It is compact but that gives it its star quality, being able to watch live snooker as if you are living it and breathing it, in touching distance of your booked seat.
I can understand that logistically it must be at times, a headache for the players to have to compete in this small playing space but surely that’s one of the reasons that makes this tournament so special. By moving it away to another location for the mass of the tournament, you would be essentially ripping out part of the heart of the tournament. It makes no sense and is merely a fudge to appease loyalists. A watered-down option and whose real desire is to move the World Championship to a completely different location completely.
It may be in years to come and especially when the current contract with the theatre runs out again that a certain quarter of society will want the World Championship to be moved to a larger venue in China or somewhere else abroad. It depends on whether the powers to be can resist the temptation to put increased ticket sales, financial gains and headcounts over the steeped heritage that the Crucible venue has attained over the years? Time will tell but I hope and pray that it doesn’t happen anytime soon.
IMG_13513593.jpg
The two tables’ set up for the World Championship at the Crucible Theatre

Here's a comment folks .

LordLee Burgin
Should never change the format, it’s the ultimate test of a player. We talk about the triple crown events being snooker’ majors, when the UK was best of 17 and a best of 31 final that deserved to be the no 2 tournament (the masters should have remained top 16 only on a full season’s rankings not a race to). Nowadays all the tournaments are the same (some traditions need to remain) #rantover
😉

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Neil Robertson demands change to 'dated and stale’ World Snooker Championship :

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/s...iAgmAst3H6g7OgPLIotd17j94UKm0v1WwlPeBOb7W7IN0

Maybe Neil want a 1st round best of 5 frames then best of 7 frames 2nd round then best of 9 frames 3rd etc.....;):unsure::ROFLMAO:
What he doesn't understand is that if the matches are more like a coin flip, he has less chance to win rather than more, since he plays better than the average player.

As for avoiding getting bogged down in scrappy frames, Ronnie showed how to avoid that in his semifinal against Selby a couple of years ago.

For me this isn’t even a debate!

The World Championship, is the most loved, most watched and the most followed event on the calendar. It’s format makes it the ultimate test of concentration, skill and mental fortitude in snooker. Additionally the longer format gives matches time time ebb and flow and have created the most iconic moments in snooker.

Anyone who has been to the Crucible and watched a match knows it’s perfect, it creates an intense atmosphere that is like nowhere else. Changing would be like moving Wimbledon from Wimbledon, an utterly stupid thing to do!

Believe me, I doubt you could count on one hand the number of Snooker fans would would want to change the world championships in any way. There is a reason the Championship has been at the Crucible for so long , and the format of the championship has remained unchanged, that’s because it’s perfect as it is!

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What he doesn't understand is that if the matches are more like a coin flip, he has less chance to win rather than more, since he plays better than the average player.

As for avoiding getting bogged down in scrappy frames, Ronnie showed how to avoid that in his semifinal against Selby a couple of years ago.
Hi Bob !

In the past all Snooker Professional players played to play at The Crucible to become World Champion and just delighted to be there but nowadays it seems some players want a quick buck and move onto the next tournament .

This move would be uncool and affect my salad diet when the World Snooker Championships come around ! :unsure: ;);)(y)

2020 World Championship: Ronnie O'Sullivan vs. Mark Selby Post-Match Analysis :​

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Bob !

In the past all Snooker Professional players played to play at The Crucible to become World Champion and just delighted to be there but nowadays it seems some players want a quick buck and move onto the next tournament .

This move would be uncool and affect my salad diet when the World Snooker Championships come around ! :unsure: ;);)(y)

2020 World Championship: Ronnie O'Sullivan vs. Mark Selby Post-Match Analysis :​

Bob that was one of the most gruelling battles of modern day snooker played over the distance so why change the format hahaha ! :unsure::D(y)

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me this isn’t even a debate!

The World Championship, is the most loved, most watched and the most followed event on the calendar. It’s format makes it the ultimate test of concentration, skill and mental fortitude in snooker. Additionally the longer format gives matches time time ebb and flow and have created the most iconic moments in snooker.

Anyone who has been to the Crucible and watched a match knows it’s perfect, it creates an intense atmosphere that is like nowhere else. Changing would be like moving Wimbledon from Wimbledon, an utterly stupid thing to do!

Believe me, I doubt you could count on one hand the number of Snooker fans would would want to change the world championships in any way. There is a reason the Championship has been at the Crucible for so long , and the format of the championship has remained unchanged, that’s because it’s perfect as it is!
Hi Astrolabus !

Where in the world of Billards would you find the drama of Crucible Theatre and long frame formats draw out to the final conculsion for the players , audience and armchair fans ?

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

BBC Sport - Remembering snooker commentator Ted Lowe :​

Do you ever wonder what the late great Ted 'Whispering' Lowe would make of the black and white days prize money compared to the colour prize money of modern day snooker ? :unsure:

Hi Astrolabus !

Where in the world of Billards would you find the drama of Crucible Theatre and long frame formats draw out to the final conculsion for the players , audience and armchair fans ?

One of the greatest days in snooker history two 33 frame matches finish 17-16 fantastic!

Only possible because of the format.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And here is what Ronnie had to say after the semifinal with Selby:

I wish my cue action was as bad as his.

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And here is what Ronnie had to say after the semifinal with Selby:

I wish my cue action was as bad as his.
Bob for drama O'Sullivan V Selby and Wilson V McGill Semi Finals will be hard to match never mind beat ! :cool:(y)

Meanwhile back at the ranch.....

The Lucky Break Snooker hall in Clydebank never reopened since lockdown and it opened maybe 1980 and had around 30 full size snooker tables and a few with a few 7x5 pool tables and an American pool table some say the back wall got condemned so it got closed down and in other bars and pubs they got rid of billiard tables for extra seating etc .

I know the basic mechanics of how to play American pool and would like a go at straight pool but I'd need to find a place that has the table and I'd know 1st break off if I'd be good enough to maintain interest .

All hope is not lost as my son went for a game of snooker on Thursday so when he got back I asked him where he went and he said the Albion club in Yoker , Clydebank .

I said to my son I haven't been there since the pool team in 1995 or so and what is it like now ?

4 full size snooker tables and a few 7x5 UK pool tables so I asked if he had to queue for a table and he said no , one was available and on the next table a young kid was playing a young kid was playing and everytime he asked his Dad for a rest he said no go left handed etc and this young kid was potting amazing balls so there is hope out there somewhere ! :unsure::cool:(y)

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Matthew Selt: ‘I gambled way beyond my means’ :​

https://snookerhq.com/2021/09/15/matthew-selt-i-gambled-way-beyond-means/

Matt Selt

MAIN NEWS

Matthew Selt: ‘I gambled way beyond my means’​

by David Caulfield on September 15, 2021

The world number 33 is a former ranking event winner.

Matthew Selt admitted that his gambling habit has potentially hindered his progress as a snooker professional on the Main Tour.
The Englishman was speaking on the World Snooker Tour Podcast earlier this week when he went into detail about his history with betting away from the game.

“I think maybe the only thing outside that would have hindered my snooker would have been the gambling aspect of life,” Selt reflected.
“I used to gamble quite a lot and still like the odd flutter now, but I gambled way beyond my means in regards to how much I earn, which is obviously not a good thing.”
“That was purely because, if my snooker wasn’t going well, I was always looking to get money from somewhere else, and that was the only thing I knew from growing up.
“That definitely would have hindered me over the years – (although) it played a massive part in me winning India, there’s no two ways about it.
“I think I had about a £1,000 left to my name before I went to India, and I managed to win £10,000 just gambling the first two days I was there on the cricket.
“England was playing the West Indies and I was earning quite a lot of money, so every match I went to play in I wasn’t really thinking about the snooker – as bad as that sounds.”
Selt secured a somewhat surprise success in the 2019 Indian Open, where he beat John Higgins and Lyu Haotian in the last two rounds to collect a top prize worth £50,000.
Last season, the 36 year-old additionally reached the semi-final stage of the Gibraltar Open – a run that he considers his best in terms of the snooker he produced.
“You said about India being the best week of my snooker career, and it is, but it’s not the best snooker that I’ve ever played,” Matthew Selt told Michael McMullan.
“The best tournament I ever played was Gibraltar last year in which I feel like I should have won that tournament really.”
“I lost to (Judd) Trump in the semis, but I made 69, 67, and 61 in that match and lost 4-1. Every match I played phenomenal and it clicked that week.
“When I play well I’m dangerous, and that’s definitely the case, but I need to start playing well more often.”

Featured photo credit: WST

Name any Billiards player who doesn't or hasn't had a bet and I will ask if they are a Monk or a Nun with a Billiards table ! :unsure: ;) :ROFLMAO: (y)