think I need deflection

dendweller

I've been waffling about trying a revo shaft for a bit now. Couple people have been nice enough to let me take a few
shots with theirs and I liked the hit. My thinking was a better transfer of energy would be a good thing for me as well.
Bottom line, thought I might be missing something.

I got one, a 12.9 for a 3/8 10 joint. I really do like the way it hits.

I'm not used to ld shafts, had a 314 15 or 20 years ago, went back to maple. After shooting with this revo for half
an hour I kind of realized that I think deflection has a place in my game. For instance shots such as high inside
to make a ball down the rail and go 3 rails back to center it seems the deflection and curve cancel each other out at
the right speed and right tip position. With the revo, that same shot, I feel like I actually have to aim to miss the
ball in order to allow for the swirve.

I'd also read that people think ld is more forgiving about off center hits. I hit some long straight in shots with it, it
seemed more demanding than one of my maple shaft with a short juma ferrule on it.

It really is a nice shaft but as silly as this sounds, I think it need more deflection.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hear ya. I switched over a few years ago and it took some getting used to. After playing with LD for a while, I used a standard shaft for a day and had to readjust a lot. I liked it after an hour of play! I think they're both great, just have to get used to whatever you're using.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been waffling about trying a revo shaft for a bit now. Couple people have been nice enough to let me take a few
shots with theirs and I liked the hit. My thinking was a better transfer of energy would be a good thing for me as well.

I'm not used to ld shafts, had a 314 15 or 20 years ago, went back to maple. After shooting with this revo for half
an hour I kind of realized that I think deflection has a place in my game. For instance shots such as high inside
to make a ball down the rail and go 3 rails back to center it seems the deflection and curve cancel each other out at
the right speed and right tip position. With the revo, that same shot, I feel like I actually have to aim to miss the

I'd also read that people think ld is more forgiving about off center hits. I hit some long straight in shots with it, it
seemed more demanding than one of my maple shaft with a short juma ferrule on it.

It really is a nice shaft but as silly as this sounds, I think it need more deflection.
Weird. When i tried a 12.9Revo i felt like i could shoot that same shot by just aiming directly at my aim point. With my Mezz wood shaft(medium deflec.) i have to make a slight aiming adj. but with the Revo i didn't.

Reactions: bbb

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
… it seems the deflection and curve cancel each other out at the right speed and right tip position. With the revo, that same shot, I feel like I actually have to aim to miss the
All shafts swerve the same. Less squirt can look like more swerve.
Yes, less squirt can be less forgiving if the pivot point is farther from your bridge.

pj
chgo.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All shafts swerve the same. Less squirt can look like more swerve.

Yes, less squirt = less forgiving because the pivot point is farther from your bridge.

pj
chgo.
I think you hit the target here.

Dendweller..... try experimenting with different bridge lengths. LD shafts, and Carbon shafts in particular, usually require a much longer pivot point. Watch a few videos and see how long the pros are bridging CF shafts. And, it may take a lot of ball hitting to get the feel of it. Give it 30 days of playing.

Also, Dr Dave has a vid or two on this subject.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son has had a cynergy for a while and I’ve played some with it over the last 6 months or so. Sometimes I like it sometimes I don’t. I bought one last week going to play with it for a while and see how I like it after I get used to it.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
My buddy bought a revo recently as well. We were asking an amateur pro how long it took them to adjust to cf. They said it took them 2 months of daily play to be consistent with all nearly all their shots. They also said the cueball gets away from them once in a while a year later.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy bought a revo recently as well. We were asking an amateur pro how long it took them to adjust to cf. They said it took them 2 months of daily play to be consistent with all nearly all their shots. They also said the cueball gets away from them once in a while a year later.
That can happen with ANY shaft.

dendweller

To be clear, I'm not finding fault with the shaft I like the hit, feel etc. It's just really different from what I'm used to.

Was thinking I should dump it last night but something drew me back to it today, it does seem to get the ball around the table well and is starting to make a little more sense.

As far as it taking 2 months to get comfortable with all the shots, I'm lucky, I'm sure I don't know near the number of shots the amateur pros do.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I hear you. It’s the same challenge I have with very low squirt shafts. My game was built with the understanding of squirt long before Predator, so switching for me was and is very difficult. Or I should say, if I play with a Predator for a few months, then screw on a shaft with way more deflection, it’’s like coming home and the world is right.

But I love the feel and energy transfer of my Revo (Cornerman style). Solution? Use a CF shaft that had more squirt. In my case, (punny, har har) Predator made me a new Revo that has the same squirt as my normal shooting shafts. My XLR8 CF shaft (Matt Bargerstock) also has about the same amount of squirt. Other CF shafts also have more squirt than the stock Revo shafts. CF doesn’t mean low squirt necessarily.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
That can happen with ANY shaft.
I realize that. I should have been more specific in my reason for posting. I was trying to say even an amateur pro needs time to adjust and even after do, they find they are not perfect with it. OP has not had the shaft for long, it will take time to adjust as others have said.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
CF doesn’t mean low squirt necessarily.
As you said earlier, a CF shaft has to be built for low squirt (like by making it hollow) - because it's way more dense than maple (2-3 times?). But with its extra strength, making it hollow (or cored with a lighter material) is no problem, and it can be low squirt and stiff.

pj
chgo