This is why Fargorate Fails...

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They just popped into my head, man could they fire a ball, position be damned, safe? what's that.

This guy too. He also is too good, but man will this fkn guy get out from everywhere. Fun to watch.
That guy (McKay) is my spirit animal!

He reminds me of a great player from Denver named Ray Selby. Did not care about position just made every ball.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it 0 or none, because you can actually have a 0 or even a negative Fargo. One of the players in an inhouse league I'm in had a negative rating after a few weeks of playing as a new player. We manually adjusted them a bit LOL

Haha...I did not know that. I have no rating but to me that still = "0"!:eek:🤯🤣

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He gets beat regularly gambling by guys in St Louis with Fargo ratings less than 650. Sounds like he played great and probably got some rolls and people don't understand statistics. Anyone that thinks he is a 700 can side bet every time he plays one. My side will bet ALOT.

Last edited:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a little of the finals. I didn’t have to watch much to tell he doesn’t play 700 speed. His opponent wasn’t doing much at all which allows him to win a one sided set but someone who took advantage of some of those opportunities would change the set drastically.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Point is people play sport for recreation, to have fun. If it no fun why do it.

Remember when PGA started Senior Tour, the old Pro golfer were so different the the guy on Regular Tour.

Tell that to the thousands of college athletes that all think they will go pro and make it big.

Only 1% of college athletes go pro and 100% of them think college courses are a waste of their time, talent and energy.

Pool is more like martial arts, it is a hobby to get away from home, the wife, the kids or whatever.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Then you would be having fun, right?

Remember when PGA started Senior Tour, the old Pro golfer were so different the the guy on Regular Tour.
Tell that to the thousands of college athletes that all think they will go pro and make it big.

Only 1% of college athletes go pro and 100% of them think college courses are a waste of their time, talent and energy.

Pool is more like martial arts, it is a hobby to get away from home, the wife, the kids or whatever.

Well the College Kids can chase their dream. Playing the best they can hoping to get drafted.

No is accomplished doing nothing but talking.

Better to try to accomplish something then never trying to accomplish anything.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Pool is more than that. It's a difficult dance that you can use for all sorts of things. Therapy, socializing, practicing mastery, etc. I guess it is also a hobby, but one that you can discover many things, both internal and external.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And my point is that different people have different ideas of what's fun, and they're not always compatible. Uber-competitive is not necessarily compatible with recreationally-competitive, but it can be as long as neither side lets their idea of fun lead to poor sportsmanship. If you're not playing for recreational fun, that's ok as long as you're aware that some people are and don't deprive them of their version of fun. It works the other way too. There's room for all styles in the sport.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I enjoy competing but I wouldn't say it was fun in the way many things can be fun. I compete and seek satisfaction. Fun isn't quite the word though. Shooting pool with friends and family, that is fun. Shooting to win a tournament or to defeat somebody trying to take my money, I never have been able to define it. I compete because I am a competitor. I compete at many different things, just the way I roll.

I have watched hall owners, owners of other venues, count how many shooters they have and figure that if they put on an event they should be able to get most of them to enter. That isn't the way it is though. Some like to compete, some very much dislike competing. If you count those playing for amusement maybe one in five will compete. Those others actively dislike the pressure of competition.

One reason trying to get the men in pool organized is so hard. Every competitor in a lone sport like pool is a type A personality. If you put twenty people who like to compete at pool together you have twenty leaders and no followers. Trying to get them pointed in the same direction is like trying to herd cats up a river.

Why do we compete? Probably literally in our DNA.

Hu

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy competing but I wouldn't say it was fun in the way many things can be fun. I compete and seek satisfaction. Fun isn't quite the word though. Shooting pool with friends and family, that is fun. Shooting to win a tournament or to defeat somebody trying to take my money, I never have been able to define it. I compete because I am a competitor. I compete at many different things, just the way I roll.

I have watched hall owners, owners of other venues, count how many shooters they have and figure that if they put on an event they should be able to get most of them to enter. That isn't the way it is though. Some like to compete, some very much dislike competing. If you count those playing for amusement maybe one in five will compete. Those others actively dislike the pressure of competition.

One reason trying to get the men in pool organized is so hard. Every competitor in a lone sport like pool is a type A personality. If you put twenty people who like to compete at pool together you have twenty leaders and no followers. Trying to get them pointed in the same direction is like trying to herd cats up a river.

Why do we compete? Probably literally in our DNA.

Hu

For me, competing in tournaments is my way of testing myself. It's all about digging deep into my soul to perform my best. Putting together everything I've practiced. Making the correct decisions for the given situation. And first and foremost, accepting a loss with grace and accepting wins with humility.

It's more about improving within more then defeating another person. Its never really been about money for me.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
For me, competing in tournaments is my way of testing myself. It's all about digging deep into my soul to perform my best. Putting together everything I've practiced. Making the correct decisions for the given situation. And first and foremost, accepting a loss with grace and accepting wins with humility.

It's more about improving within more then defeating another person. Its never really been about money for me.

I have shot to eat and pay bills. That takes anything resembling joy out of playing pool. It is a business. I guess the longest I have shot pool to live is three or four months. As soon as I could take a job, even a pretty rough job, I took it. Pool to supplement my income was fine. Trying to meet a hundred dollar a day nut six or seven days a week, I couldn't call that anything but a grind. I fully understood a friend who was a master knifesmith. He worked forty or fifty hours a week as an ironworker then put in that much time or more making knives. He had a six month to year waiting list so I asked him why he didn't just make knives. He said he had tried it. He hated getting up and knowing he had to make knives every day. Pool was the same for me. Not much joy to be found when I had to make a living at it.

Hu

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To add what I forgot to mention, It really does not matter Who you are competing against. The true opponent is the table itself. It is a puzzle that needs to be solved. Hopefully you can solve it before your opponent does.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Kyle Hargis raised his fargorate from 628 to 655 PLAYING IN JUST THIS ONE TOURNAMENT, btw.
A 641 and under tourney, in which he destroyed the competition.
I rest my case.