This rejected shot should count IMO, what say you?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Do you have a link from Brunswick stating that? I have not found anything about it using google.

Just curious.

Well, Brunswick say those types of "misses" and fixed the pockets on those Metro tables.
THEY WERE DEFECTIVE.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Change Tables?

pt109,
Here we are again...

If that happened in one of my matches, I would not be opposed to having the rack replayed on a different table. That table was obviously not in playable condition. If players are forced to play on such equipment, then certainly rules may need to be modified on the fly at the discretion of the tournament director.
Don't you play on a set number of tables each week?
Rotating them each week so that each team has to play on every table?
This makes it even for all.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
A ball that didnt' stay down, is not considered to be pocketed by the rules.

I'm all for sportsmanship in the game. However, I dont' feel this is open for negotiation. The most important thing to do is to shame the manufacturer or even better, shun them, until this problem with the pocket is fixed. This is a flawed product that has no business being used in a serious tournament, like those crappy balls that rolled off or a table that is significantly off level.

I've done this thing myself in snooker matches, it's far more likely in the side pockets. Hitting the ball hard and square into the pocket can cause it to jump out. Nobody offered to give me those balls, nor would I expect them to. If offered, I wouldn't accept it. In snooker it's part of the game because the conservative brits won't accept anyone to tamper with their "perfect" game. While they may be a bit too conservative for my taste, they did manage to save their game from the crap that pool had to go through, so maybe they are right about this.

In US pool it's a little bit different, because it is not commonly expected to occur with professional style tables (but home tables with leather pockets, you should expect this), though knowledgable players are aware of the risk. I still think the rules stance on this is the correct one. The pros will know about this problem after a short while, and adjust their games. However, hopefully the tables are fixed promptly.

Last edited:

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not a new rule...It has happened in the past, and will continue to happen in the future.

The cause is not a faulty table, but a well struck ball. Firm with bottom english. If it hasn't

happened to you, it will, and will not count. Now the video of the two ball coming out of the

opposite side, well that you will see a lot less than being spun out of the pocket, but to uphold

the integrity of the game it has to count as a unpocketed ball. But I would love to lose a game

like that...I am sure the player in the video tells that story and shows the video any chance he gets.

You have to take the good with the bad in any game, countless examples can be found

in multiple games, you have to have an understanding that it can equally happen to each player

and that is why it will not count today or anytime in the future.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
At the big Lake Tahoe tournament in 1982 (Earl best Mizerak in the finals on ESPN), we were using Corner Pockets of America tables (they were a big sponsor). The pockets kept spitting balls out and I was the TD. I told Richie Florence (the promoter) what was happening and he called George Frank (the owner of Corner Pockets). They sent a technician on the second day who fixed the pockets, but all through day one this continued to be a problem. Of course I couldn't rule that the ball stayed down, so it was up to the players to adjust.

It was happening most frequently on balls hit firmly into center pocket (not down the rail). The pros quickly figured out that if they were straight in, they had to hit the ball softly for the pocket to take the ball. The pros who adjusted best had no problems for the rest of the day. Finally it seemed like the whole field caught on to the best way to play with the defective pockets. But I heard a lot of howling early in the day. :D

Last edited:

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As others have said it sucks royally but "it either stays down or it doesn't" is the only way to deal with this fairly for all situations.

Here are a couple of other times this has occurred including one where it happened same ball same pocket two shots in a row, one from each player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu43kJPZr6E#t=3m30s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRxo-eRCDws

And a couple of other threads discussing this where you can get some other feedback on the topic:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=409094
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=169470

Imagine a similar situation where your opponent shot and the pocket spits the ball out. Lets say you decided that it is pocketed (kind hearted soul) and you tell your opponent that it is pocketed and you take the spitted out ball and put it in the pocket since there is no referee. Your opponent continues to shoot.

Later in the game, a similar situation happened to you but your opponent wasn't paying attention and he didn't see what happened to your spitted out object ball - especially in hill-hill situation. Will you ask for his leniency quoting precedence and will he accede since he didn't see the pocket spitting out the ball?

The best solution is and will always be that if the ball is on the table, then it remains on the table. No contentious area for possible conflicts.

Last edited:

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ball was "pocketed" period. Those of you comparing it to skids and almost making a ball have issues, there is no comparison. It also doesnt matter how hard he hit it and didnt need to or whatever else you can come up with to make yourselves feel better about it.

If it were my game even hill hill, he would be shooting the 9.

If it disturbes other balls then maybe a rerack.

Jason<---not a slippy slope with his integrity

Sorry to disagree, but it is clearly a miss. This type of miss happens relatively often on side pocket shots. He CHOSE to hit the ball super hard and that shot did not go in. Just like in golf, sometimes you make a putt that completely submerges in the hole and comes back out. It;s just a miss. A crappy one that arguably shouldn't happen but it did. I would never give my opponent that shot and would not expect my opponent to give it to me if same thing happened.