This should be interesting...Name the cue maker!

Jerry Yost

NO MORE CTE
Silver Member
Can you name the cue maker?

Attachments

• NameThatCue.JPG
    NameThatCue.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 479

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Is that a Meucci? :D

On a serious note, I dont know who made it but that is a nice looking cue! I like simple designs.

Woody

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Looks like a BB but the wrap section looks a little short to me and Tony usually uses a 5/16-14 piloted joint not a radial. So if it isn't a BB it is a cue someone made so people would say "Is that a BB?" LOL

kano

Unbelievable!!!!!
Silver Member
Dan Decola for sure

This without a doubt a Dan Decola "Master Class Cue". This cue can be found on the Billiardwarehouse site under the custom cues section.

Other examples of his cues and be found here:

http://cueexchange.com/

I was actually considering ordering one of his cues. One of those lesser known cue makers who make fine cues and who's prices are still affordable.

kano

Jerry Yost

NO MORE CTE
Silver Member
Master Class Cues by Dan Decola

This is in fact a Master Class Cue by Dan DeCola. I found it at the billiardwarehouse.com last night and was very surprised by the striking similarity to Black Boar. I've seen many threads on here where people have strong feelings about cue design theft/copy. What are your thoughts?

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
This is in fact a Master Class Cue by Dan DeCola. I found it at the billiardwarehouse.com last night and was very surprised by the striking similarity to Black Boar. I've seen many threads on here where people have strong feelings about cue design theft/copy. What are your thoughts?

The six point no veneer thing has been done to death and I am not positive but I think someone had done the scalloped butt cap before Tony. He has made the combination of the two recognized as a BB style. Personally it is a little too Black Boarish for my taste but an argument could certainly be made either way.

You can argue forever where the line is drawn and I am sure if certain people jump on this we will see it one more time. :D

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can argue forever where the line is drawn and I am sure if certain people jump on this we will see it one more time. :D

Is it ironic or coincidental that the original poster's avatar of the day belongs to "the certain people?"

Fred

somms69

escape artist
Silver Member
Is it ironic or coincidental that the original poster's avatar of the day belongs to "the certain people?"

Fred
Mmmmm......I'm going to have to go with ironic. Quite often when you feel a jab it's because someone is poking you.

Roadie

Banned

Ask Jack. :)

I find it to be nothing more than a pool cue. I think that the wrap is too short or the butt piece is too long.

I don't know who did the first crown butt cap that BB is doing now but even if they were first someone had to be. Scallops like this are found in architecture so I am sure that Tony at Black Boar was also inspired by something he saw somewhere else.

Unless something is a one to one copy it's not design theft. It may be tacky to substantially take elements that are distinctive to another person's style, especially while they are living, but it's normal for the growth of design.

It's entirely possible that some new cue maker sees the DiCola and the crown cap without ever knowing about the BB caps and takes it again to another level. This is how it works in the real world. Someone is first, everyone else copies and some improve and some don't. Then at some point someone else comes up with another first and the cycle continues.

At this point no one can lay claim to points. Points have been done just about every way that points can be done and still be pointing somewhere.

The butt cap is the only thing on this cue that is clearly identified strongly with another maker. And as evidenced by the replies it's enough for people to assume the cue is a BB. I am sure that Mr. DiCola's intentions were not to have people thinking his cue is a BB. He probably liked the style and decided to use it. That's the downside to using another's design, people can look at it and not give you the credit.

At the end of the day though I feel that Mr. DiCola should be able to use this buttcap design without negative vibes.

There is a major difference between design THEFT and design similarity. One shows no originality the other shows no imagination. Unless as "certain people" put it the person making the new thing takes the design and makes it their own by doing something new to it.

I'd like to see some of these high end cue makers doing some more Meucci style designs. That guy could come up with some wild stuff. I couldn't ever play with one but that didn't stop me from buying several in the 80's.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
IMO every person decides for themselves. Anyone making arbitrary lines is just stating their opinion. This topic is addressed by some of the biggest names in the cue business during the round table we filmed at the ICCS it is pretty cool to hear John Showman and Thomas Wayne discuss their takes on things. Besides everyone who knows anything knows that everybody just rips off Ernies stuff anyway. :D

That will be out on DVD soon by the way.

<-----never misses an opportunity for a shameless plug

P.S. .... I thought that skull looked familiar.

Last edited:

Jerry Yost

NO MORE CTE
Silver Member
Fred...you have a good memory.

Fred

I chose it about a month ago when I posted in another thread about cue design copy/theft. I don't think anyone commented on it's origin prior to now.

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I chose it about a month ago when I posted in another thread about cue design copy/theft. I don't think anyone commented on it's origin prior to now.

someone else here has that same cue as their signature as a tribute to ER....

that's a nice set.