Thom Pyro chalk

sonoman

There was a post a few weeks ago in which someone said Thom chalk did not leave much chalk on the cue ball. I decided to try it out because I am kind of anal about cleaning the cue ball.
Got two cubes of Pyro today from Seyberts. I played the ghost about 5 games of 10 ball. I did not find any chalk on the cue ball. I tried using some extreme english and did not miscue. I usually chalk after every shot but I purposely did not chalk for a whole game. The tip looked like it was freshly chalked at the end of the game.
$18.95 is a lot for a cube of chalk but for me it was a good purchase. Curious if others have had my experience.

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its recently become my go to chalk. No fuss no mess lasts for a good game.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Haven’t used anything else since it first touched my cue. The only downside is that it can get a little frustrating when you play someone not using it (most people).

It may even have been me mentioning the Taom in the JJ ball cleaning thread (I think that’s where I mentioned it).

On the snooker tour there’s only a few hold outs still using Triangle chalk. Pretty much everyone is using Taom and there’s a pretty strong consensus that it has contributed massively to reducing kicks.

Clusterbuster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience was the same as other posters here. I use it to keep my home table clean and then use Master for league night. I used one piece of Pyro for better part of six months and it hardly looked used. Very long lasting.

TrxR

Ive been tempted to try it but it gets expensive to get it her in Canada. Ive seen it listed at 35.00 here.

I just got a sleeve of Predator to try so ill use it for a while . I understand its dirty though.

Shuddy

Silver Member
Ive been tempted to try it but it gets expensive to get it her in Canada. Ive seen it listed at 35.00 here.

I just got a sleeve of Predator to try so ill use it for a while . I understand its dirty though.

It’s totally worth 35$. I’ve used one piece of pyro for a year and it’s not even half way done. It’s just started to hit the paper lip. I pretty much play everyday.

northdakotafats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Navigator chalk is just as clean and as good as Toam but square if anyone here can't do round chalk like me. Love Toam but it feels to awkward in my hands.

Shuddy

Silver Member
Navigator chalk is just as clean and as good as Toam but square if anyone here can't do round chalk like me. Love Toam but it feels to awkward in my hands.
Really? It stays off the cueball and table just as well as Taom? Neat. Navigator is about the only higher end chalk I haven’t tried. Nothing else has come close to Taom in terms of keeping my equipment clean.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I found an almost new cube of Predator chalk in the chalk box at the room.
Used it for about 4 hours and my hand looked like I killed a Smurf.
I threw it back into the chalk box,now I know why it was there in the first place.
I'm sticking with good old Masters.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using the green Taom for a couple weeks after using the blue Taom before that. I haven't noticed much difference, but some people told me they think it makes them miscue less than the blue.

Hoogaar

Registered

Definitely worth it. I ordered some a while back and with exchange, shipping, and fees, it came to $27/piece (I ordered other stuff at the same time).

I believe it works better than Master and others, but not prepared to do a dissertation and argue that. But I KNOW it is cleaner. And for my home table, that is huge. I used to have a variety of different chalks around my room, but I've put them all away. All anyone can use on my table now is the Pyro. I can play the whole night and my hands are still clean at the end of the night. Crazy difference from Kamui, Master, and especially Predator and Blue Diamond.

And like Shuddy - I play every day and apply chalk generously. Got them August 10 or so, and still on my first one. Attached a pic of new (left) vs used (right) - looks like I have at least a 2 year supply right there :)

Where in NB are you?

Attachments

• 269062894_453124693054653_4964898740392659013_n.jpg
    269062894_453124693054653_4964898740392659013_n.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our Private club is mostly old guys. They first ignored Taom but slowly and surely all turned to use it.
Couple weeks ago Club decided to all players to use Taom or not to play our place. Noone complained :)

Keeps balls, tables and hands clean. Taom chalks prevent bad contacts happen coz it wont stick to balls.
One thing. If you use harder tips I would suggest to get newer V10 Pyro(green). It will stay even better on tip and have about 15% more grip(according to founder of chalk. I talked him in person year ago about V10 when it was still on testing phase.). It will wear down slightly faster than blue Pyro but still last a long time.
Blue Pyro is great too but it might not grip so well to harder/some laminated tips. Softer tips both are the best.

TrxR

Definitely worth it. I ordered some a while back and with exchange, shipping, and fees, it came to $27/piece (I ordered other stuff at the same time).

I believe it works better than Master and others, but not prepared to do a dissertation and argue that. But I KNOW it is cleaner. And for my home table, that is huge. I used to have a variety of different chalks around my room, but I've put them all away. All anyone can use on my table now is the Pyro. I can play the whole night and my hands are still clean at the end of the night. Crazy difference from Kamui, Master, and especially Predator and Blue Diamond.

And like Shuddy - I play every day and apply chalk generously. Got them August 10 or so, and still on my first one. Attached a pic of new (left) vs used (right) - looks like I have at least a 2 year supply right there :)

Where in NB are you?
Im just outside the Sussex area towards Fredericton

northdakotafats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? It stays off the cueball and table just as well as Taom? Neat. Navigator is about the only higher end chalk I haven’t tried. Nothing else has come close to Taom in terms of keeping my equipment clean.
Been using it for about 2 years now and it's great. Doesn't stick to the cue ball at all and virtually no bluing on my hands and shafts.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Our Private club is mostly old guys. They first ignored Taom but slowly and surely all turned to use it.
Couple weeks ago Club decided to all players to use Taom or not to play our place. Noone complained :)

Keeps balls, tables and hands clean. Taom chalks prevent bad contacts happen coz it wont stick to balls.
One thing. If you use harder tips I would suggest to get newer V10 Pyro(green). It will stay even better on tip and have about 15% more grip(according to founder of chalk. I talked him in person year ago about V10 when it was still on testing phase.). It will wear down slightly faster than blue Pyro but still last a long time.
Blue Pyro is great too but it might not grip so well to harder/some laminated tips. Softer tips both are the best.

Thanks I know which one I should try now since I use a hard lepro,

Finally got it and a nice metal chalk holder for it from Etsy for a little Christmas present to myself 😁

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
I'm interested in the Taom chalk as it does keep the home table much cleaner! The problem I had with the original Pyro there were too many miscues with extreme english. I went back to Masters and the table is messier but the miscues disappeared.
I'd trade my 2 pieces of Taom Pyro for 1 of the new version V10 Pyro.
1Taom pyro v1.jpg

2Taom pyro v1.jpg

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm interested in the Taom chalk as it does keep the home table much cleaner! The problem I had with the original Pyro there were too many miscues with extreme english. I went back to Masters and the table is messier but the miscues disappeared.
View attachment 620330

View attachment 620331
Nice pics!!!!!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 620330

View attachment 620331
I think you have Taom 2.0 chalks on pics? Not sure if Pyro is available in white. 2.0 is very similar with Pyro and I used it before Pyro.