Tiger Claw 3 wing cutter?

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Gold Member
I'm new here but I would be worried the blade's cutting width is a little narrow?
I'm no expert either but I think every machine is different. I've tried 3 and 6 wing (1/4" cutter width) what's normally sold as spoilboard cutters, as well as several end mills with different numbers of flutes from 1 to 4 and different helix angles.

I finally found what gives me the best finish on my machine which is a whiteside 1/16" slot cutter. So, at least on my machine the narrow blade width works better than anything else I've tried (so far.... never done experimenting :) ).

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm no expert either but I think every machine is different. I've tried 3 and 6 wing (1/4" cutter width) what's normally sold as spoilboard cutters, as well as several end mills with different numbers of flutes from 1 to 4 and different helix angles.

I finally found what gives me the best finish on my machine which is a whiteside 1/16" slot cutter. So, at least on my machine the narrow blade width works better than anything else I've tried (so far.... never done experimenting :) ).

Isn't it weird how that stuff pans out some times. Unless someone I trusted told me to use a 1/16" wide cutter there's no way I would even try it.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
1/16th is very thin. You better get that dead center of the shaft or you're gonna get cat's claws.
I prefer 3/32.

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used Whiteside cutters that were 1/16” that were recommended by a Hall of Fame cue maker and I now use a Freud 63-100 1/16” cutter now recommended by another well known maker. I get a lot better results with those than I ever did with a 6 wing. No cat claws on my shafts or butts. They cut like butter. Here is a pic of a jump cue fresh off the lathe and a link to my setup tapering. I don’t know if the link will work? If not, I’ll try to get it added.

Attachments

• 45FC487B-B1DC-4F5A-BEEC-20261D8403DC.jpeg
    45FC487B-B1DC-4F5A-BEEC-20261D8403DC.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I have used Whiteside cutters that were 1/16” that were recommended by a Hall of Fame cue maker and I now use a Freud 63-100 1/16” cutter now recommended by another well known maker. I get a lot better results with those than I ever did with a 6 wing. No cat claws on my shafts or butts. They cut like butter.
First time I saw one was at a future hall of fame maker. He had it on his Jet 14 by 40 metal lathe converted to cnc .
Shafts came out like they were sanded .
The tips were dead center of the shaft.
I've seen table saw taperer with 1/8th kerf blade put some cat's claws on shafts too.
Even if the blade was flat ground. Those need tweaking too .

kgoods

Gold Member
1/16th is very thin. You better get that dead center of the shaft or you're gonna get cat's claws.
I prefer 3/32.
Yes! I found that out.

It's acceptable now that I'm centered to within a couple thousandths but I'm always looking for a better finish so you talked me into it. Just ordered a Freud 3/32". I still have to touch my shafts with 400 to knock off some very minor ridges. I'll report back once I've had a chance to test.

Thanks for the tip!

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted a pic and a video link in my post above of my setup working and how smooth it was after a pass. I’m tapering a green mountain camo Spectraply shaft for a jump cue in the video. My feed rate is 15 ipm and I’m taking about .030” off per pass. That’s the first Google Drive video I’ve posted here. I had a couple of people ask for permission and I think I have it fixed to be public now. I can share it another way if you message me.

Last edited:

kgoods

Gold Member
I posted a pic and a video link in my post above of my setup working and how smooth it was after a pass. I’m tapering a green mountain camo Spectraply shaft for a jump cue in the video. My feed rate is 15 ipm and I’m taking about .030” off per pass. That’s the first Google Drive video I’ve posted here. I had a couple of people ask for permission and I think I have it fixed to be public now. I can share it another way if you message me.
Mind sharing your shaft RPM? Still fine tuning mine and am always interested how others are running theirs.

Thanks!

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mind sharing your shaft RPM? Still fine tuning mine and am always interested how others are running theirs.

Thanks!
Around 200. My speed on my Consew motor says 350 but it is actually closer to 200 because of the size of the spindle on the headstock. My router speed is 25k.

Last edited:

cuetrip

Rob Hardman Cues
Silver Member
I just ordered one of these Tiger Claw cutters in 5/32". I'm going to try it centered and off-center with the rounded edge portion doing the cutting. Will report back.