Time to get rid of the luck factor in Mosconi Cup.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Race to 5 is clearly the most exciting format for this event.
But with that in mind, how about we address the short race format, and get rid of the slop.

I know both teams have benefitted from crapping in a ball here or there, but why not make it about precision instead of luck.

Come on man.
It's time to clean it up.

ps. Get rid of the 9 on the break as well. Lol

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Golden Break 9 in the side to beat SVB.

Yeah... take ALL of the luck out of it.

Even many bar room amateurs play call every shot 8 ball.

Best 2 You & All.

PS But it's a for TV production & not really about the best competition.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah, the luck makes it more exciting. And luck is the only way the US is going to be able to win apparently.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Let's just make it 14.1, race to 100, first to 11 wins. Then, the US could lose 11-2, because Schmidt and Harriman might take two matches. That'll take luck and the break out of the game.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No way. Every event should be race to 5, alt break, 9 ball, slop counts. Most exciting for a fan to watch. Who gives a sh1t what the players want. Make it exciting for the fans to watch.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
9 in the side to beat SVB.

Even many bar room amateurs play call every the shot 8 ball.

Best 2 You & All.

In all fairness, US shit some 9s today also. I think it should just move to 10ball. Call shot, slightly tougher runouts too. JMO.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
No way. Every event should be race to 5, alt break, 9 ball, slop counts. Most exciting for a fan to watch. Who gives a sh1t what the players want. Make it exciting for the fans to watch.

Make it race to 3 winner breaks then. If you want excitement.:rolleyes:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd actually like to try race to 3, alt break, 9 ball luck, single elim events on the local level. $5 entry. Might get tons of entrants. And generate action after first round losses. I'd try it anyway if I was a room owner.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There have been just as many lucky 9s made as there have been unlucky balls made on safeties. I don't think these occasional lucky rolls require addressing the format. Overall, I think play has been superb and nearly every match has yielded opportunities for both sides. In my opinion, this is precisely how 9ball should always be played.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
In all fairness, US shit some 9s today also. I think it should just move to 10ball. Call shot, slightly tougher runouts too. JMO.

Maybe, but the 9 getting kicked into the side on the break at hill hill was a killer.

Yeah, going to call shot 10 Ball would certainly be better, IMO.

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all part of the game...

billiards.slack.com/signup
-or-
Request by PM

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

-or-
Request by PM

It does not have to be that way. Much, not all, but much of the luck can be taken out.

Like I said, even bar room amateurs play call every shot 8 ball.

Why should supposedly the best in the game play a game that has a ton of luck possible?

Best 2 All.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

-or-
Request by PM

Yeap thats why 9b sucks as a measure of "skill". Make it where you can't win on the break (like 10b)especially on short races and you'd get a more fair representation of a 'sporting game'... otherwise just flip a coin on a hill hill match.

Pretty stupid to get credit on a 'flucked in' shot (at any point in a game 9B) with the best players representing their country. Get this game back in the Bar's where it belongs....and its even worst on a bar box... represents NOTHING good about our sport.

R

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golden Break 9 in the side to beat SVB.

Even many bar room amateurs play call every shot 8 ball.

Best 2 You & All.

I've always enjoyed it when some loser wants to play call shot 8 ball as that guarantees they will have no chance at all. Those kind of rules guarantee the better player will always win. Have you ever seen real players wanting to do this? No because they know enough to realize the average and below players will have no chance and will quit and they can't make anything.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Don't think this tournament is made for people that want to see pros play call pocket.

I agree.

Please don't change "This" event. Not only is this exciting but it's successful too. There are plenty of other opportunities throughout the year to determine who really is the better player.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only way this event means anything is if the format is changed to one pocket race to 200.