Tips for beginners?

thefreethinker3

Registered
Hello guys, I've just come to love billiards 3 months ago. I've been playing every weekend ever since but can't seem to take my level a notch higher. Any tips for beginners like me?

Thank you very much :)

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practice, practice, & practice! Maybe try talking to the pool pro at your local pool hall & make sure you have the basics down with you stance, holding the cue, & such. Good luck, it's a very addictive thing! :)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hello guys, I've just come to love billiards 3 months ago. I've been playing every weekend ever since but can't seem to take my level a notch higher. Any tips for beginners like me?

As soon as you're convinced it's not a passing phase but a full blown addiction, get a "fundamentals" lesson: stance, stroke, grip, bridge. Trying to figure out what needs fixing by yourself is like trying to cut your own hair without a mirror. You need other, knowledgable eyes - not just some guy who shoots good, but a coach/instructor. Then you'll know what to practice for the next 20 years.

pj
chgo

As soon as you're convinced it's not a passing phase but a full blown addiction, get a "fundamentals" lesson: stance, stroke, grip, bridge. Trying to figure out what needs fixing by yourself is like trying to cut your own hair without a mirror. You need other, knowledgable eyes - not just some guy who shoots good, but a coach/instructor. Then you'll know what to practice for the next 20 years.

pj
chgo

lol :grin: i thought that was funny at first but then i realized its true lol

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Get down on the shot and STAY DOWN until the cue ball hits the object ball. The only thing that should be moving is your back arm.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There are so many tips you need, it is not possible to cover in writing. Mainly because the different possibilities that makes you miss a shot.

My advice to you keep shooting, make sure to practice shot making on your own for an hour before any game playing. I think playing 9 ball next will offer you more shots variety at different speeds, where as 8 ball or straight pool you have more options to pick and naturally will pick easy ones.
When you run at least 6 balls in a 9 ball rack you are ready for advance instructions

If you are close to Arlington, VA PM me.

Best of Luck.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you're the self-learning type and want to know the physics behind the game, read and watch everything here:

http://billiards.colostate.edu/

Then HAMB (hit a million balls) and, most importantly, pay attention to what the balls do after you hit them. Stay down and watch the results of the shot. Your subconscious brain learns from and remembers every shot, whether you realize it or not.

SMG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quit your job and break up with your significant other :grin:. Fundamentals, play different games.

RED LITE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Advice

Whenever possible, play people who are better than yourself.

Work (including lessons) on shooting fundamentals NOW, not after 2 or 3 years of bad habits.

RL

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're the self-learning type and want to know the physics behind the game, read and watch everything here:

http://billiards.colostate.edu/

Then HAMB (hit a million balls) and, most importantly, pay attention to what the balls do after you hit them. Stay down and watch the results of the shot. Your subconscious brain learns from and remembers every shot, whether you realize it or not.

1st you have to know how to pot the 4000 possibilities of shots, and then shoot as much as you want. Telling some one shoot a million ball is not good enough.
Your subconscious has nothing to do with it, it simply aim and where to aim for the different shots on table before you go down on the shot taking into account CB path and status at moment of contact with OB.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Hang out in a pool hall. Get to know the folks there.
Watch the better players play. Sneak in a question, every now and then, but don't be a pest.
Read books and watch DVDs.
Learn to play One Pocket. You'll thank Grady, and me later. :smile:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Consider taking lessons. Instructors can identify bad habits and help improve your game.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

^^^ what he said
get lessons

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Accu-Stats (game you prefer).

Instructional DVDs.

Lessons on Fundamentals by a higher level instructor (bad instruction is worse than no instruction).

Have fun...

Pete

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Get used to cigarette smoke, being around a bunch of dickwads, and rude waitresses that bump into you when you're down on your shot.

On a more serious note, you do need not only to practice diligently, but as others have said, find someone with enough pool knowledge (instructor) to help you practice all the right things. Like RandyG once told his poolschool class: "Practice does NOT make perfect, perfect practice does."

And.........you will have to learn how to fade certain people and their "moves". Stay strong/focused mentally!!!

Maniac

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the advice to take lessons. As well, I would recommend the following.

Banking With The Beard by Freddie Bentivegna.

The 99 Critical Shots in Pool by Ray Martin.

The Robert Byrne books are also very good.

Practice, practice, practice.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Learn speed and natural angles, its the foundation of all shots and once you gain speed control everything changes.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
I concur with all who advised to work with a good instructor.
Since you are new you likely have not developed poor habits yet, it's better to learn the fundamentals the right way than to go back later and correct bad habits.