• Yes

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • No

Votes: 110 85.9%

• Total voters

poolmonkey

Just a hack...
Silver Member
I was just reading another thread and was just curious as to what you guys thought of this statement.

99.9% of your tip shaping is done with chalk, yes or no?

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolmonkey said:
I was just reading another thread and was just curious as to what you guys thought of this statement.

Crap. I wasted just under a minute reading and responding to this. No way I am going to waste another second by voting in this waste of space.

BVal

jongreve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that chalk is abrasive, and therefore helps to shape your tip whether you want it to or not.

I don't necessarily believe the 99.9% thing, except that the number (possibly incorrect number) was used to reinforce a true statement.

Last edited:

pharaoh68

Banned
If anyone thinks that 99.9% of your tip shaping is done by a cube of chalk, then I feel confident in saying that 99.9% of those people are purely and utterly retarded.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
I put yes it does, but that is because I never shape it independently. I think it is an unnessary thing to do. Leave it alone and your play will shape it appropriately for your playing style.

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
poolmonkey said:

I was just reading this thread and was just curious as to what you guys thought of this statement.

99.9% of all polls are annoying and worthless, yes or no?

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
Nope

Do I believe chalk has something to with a tips shape, yes.

I do not believe that is resposible for 99.9% of the tip shape.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its got a 3% chance of being such an item.

Edit:

BVal- how did your (first) post take you a minute?!?!?! WTF!?
BVal said:
Crap. I wasted just under a minute reading and responding to this. No way I am going to waste another second by voting in this waste of space.

BVal

Jule

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There should be an option "I do not want to vote on this poll"...
... oh wait! There is! :D

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Chalk does shape

catscradle said:
I put yes it does, but that is because I never shape it independently. I think it is an unnessary thing to do. Leave it alone and your play will shape it appropriately for your playing style.
Yep if your a banger it will be flat.:D
You know really Cats, I could not agree more.
But than I would also say it is still the abrasiveness of the chalk that is doing the shaping as it is squeezed between the tip and the ball.
So I vote Yes the chalk shapes the tip.:cool:

Roadkill

Retired Pool Hustler
Silver Member
poolmonkey said:

It depends on the player. If someone rarely uses a tip scuffer or tool, then the chalk will account for most wear/shaping. This is because the main ingredient in "chalk" is silica, a well-known and very effective abrasive.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the statement is horse manure!!

I have it on good authority that not more than 99.875% of tip shaping is done by the chalk. 99.9% is a gross exaggeration!

Hu

PS: I'll be marketing my chalk with the precision ground pocket in it already formed to a precise nickel or dime shape in the very near future. Get your preproduction orders in now. Regular price will be one dollar a cube but pricing for early orders will be drastically reduced to 99 cents!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolmonkey said:

It depends.

If you're one of those guys (idiots) that go into a pool room and take out one of those glass fragment encrusted tip shapers out of your cue case pouch, turn your cue upside down, and try and start fire... then no.

But my experience has been that it mostly depends on your chalking motion. There was a time when I use to sort of twirl my cue when chalking and I'd end up, in due course, with an almost bullet-shaped tip. Shooting a follow shot off the rail, with the cue ball near the rail was a challenge.

Since noticing that little bit of unconscious leather work, I now use more of a brushing motion on my cue tip and am much more successful in maintaining a normal looking tip. YMMV.

Of course, if you use your playing cue to break at 9ball or 8ball, have a soft tip on your ferrule, and a monster break, you can basically forget about everything I've just written :)

Lou Figueroa

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
I have it on good authority that not more than 99.875% of tip shaping is done by the chalk. 99.9% is a gross exaggeration!

Hu

PS: I'll be marketing my chalk with the precision ground pocket in it already formed to a precise nickel or dime shape in the very near future. Get your preproduction orders in now. Regular price will be one dollar a cube but pricing for early orders will be drastically reduced to 99 cents!

You forgot

* warning, chalk must be replaced after each chalking in order to maintain proper radius

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jondrums said:
USA Today recently reported that 53.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Yes, and 90% of that 53.7% can be used to prove anything 95% of the time.:cool: :cool: