To Concede Or Not To Concede - That Is The Question

Given the scenario described, would you, or would you not concede the ball?

• I would concede the ball.

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • I would not concede the ball.

Votes: 126 88.7%

• Total voters

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
After seeing Mika miss the 'gimme' 10b that would have beat SVB at The Steinway Classic the other day, it got me thinking about this. This was the kind of shot that we often see being conceded.

So, here's a poll we can use to examine this.

The assumptions for this poll are that you are playing in a meaningful match (tourney, league, gambling, or whatever) and your opponent is the equivalent of an APA skill level 5 or better. The ball your opponent is shooting will win the match and is a 95% or better shot.

Select the one that best represents your opinion.

After voting, feel free to discuss.

thx,
brian kc

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I don't like ball concessions. I've seen every shot missed at one point or another, including by players who were otherwise playing well. Further, I prefer to shoot the ball since the shots I make the more in stroke I get.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Conceding the ball is sharking. I've seen guys concede balls, then in the same match not concede balls. Same shot or easier.... They play games with it.

Plus, shit turns around so quickly. Make them shoot it, they miss, you snap a 9 ball, then a 2-9 combo, and a break in run and you are in any match.

Everyone chokes a shot here and there, you never know when it will happen, so make them shoot......

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me the score plays a part. Hill hill or close match i make them shoot everything. If they are beating me badly i may just concede.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
To the subject - please recall the biggest "concession" EVER! Jack Nicklaus was playing in the Ryder Cup vs Tony Jacklin.. The Cup was on line and Jack conceded a 3 footer that gave the Cup to the Euros. On the last hole.

To conceding game ball -- It depends on so much. I prefer no complications. Putt out!

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
I don't like it when people concede to me, I never concede to other players.

I feel robbed when at the end of a run out my opponent grabs the game ball and throws it in the pocket. I wanted to shoot that damn ball asshole!!!!!

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
I never concede a ball or accept a conceded ball. I once saw a straight in case 9 ball for 5K that was 3" from a pocket & the cue ball 6" behind it get missed due to a miscue. The guy that miscues then snapped a SW cue over the apron rail. It left an impression.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I am the idiot but I would concede the ball. If I win because he misses, I really don't feel like I won the match.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I voted NOT
A tournament with paid admission, added money, a calcutta....etc....verboten.

When I'm gambling....I concede anytime I feel like, however.

I've always liked the custom of snooker....when it's not your shot....stay out of it.
...you can concede when it's YOUR only.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't anyone take this wrong, but if I'm playing an APA 5, he is shooting everything. Simply because he is subject to miss anything at anytime.

Now, with an upper level player, if he is shooting the duck 9, it all depends. depends on the score, how much I respect the guy, where his head is at, and probably a few other factors. That said, I have no problem conceding a gimmie simply because it really means that if he is shooting the 9, I already lost that game a while back. The biggest reason I would give it to him is out of respect.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Maybe I am the idiot but I would concede the ball. If I win because he misses, I really don't feel like I won the match.

Sooooooooo, you understand there was a $2000 gap between 2nd & 3rd place & a $5000 gap between 1st & 2nd? Principles are nice, you can't spend them though.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
So you make him shoot it hoping he misses and you can make extra money?

I make him shoot it because you have to pocket every ball to win, that's the game. I posted the difference in $ to show you what giving it away cost.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I make him shoot it because you have to pocket every ball to win, that's the game. I posted the difference in $ to show you what giving it away cost.

A good example of why pool will never go anywhere in the United States. I give it to him as a show of respect and accepting defeat. Even if he misses it one time in one hundred, doesn't matter to me. Pool players have zero respect for opponents here. People shark and do all kinds of things that they get mad about if someone else were to do to them.

Golfers give each other short putts all the time in Match Play. Their differences in prize money are bigger than what Shane makes in a year. That is why they have sponsors. They are clean cut. They take their hats off at the end of the round and shake hands with their opponent no matter what happened during the course of the round.

Pool players still have the image of drunks and everybody trying to hustle. There was a time when pool players made as much or more than golfers playing tournaments. Now the 125th best golfer on the PGA tour made 717k this year. What do you think the pool player 125th on the money list made?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

You never win when your opponent misses, you only win when your opponent misses and you then make the ball.

The only time I concede is when I am playing for funsies. I have had opponents dog easy shots and I certainly have dogged easy shots. Usually happens when I am thinking about something other than shot at hand.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
After seeing Mika miss the 'gimme' 10b that would have beat SVB at The Steinway Classic the other day, it got me thinking about this. This was the kind of shot that we often see being conceded.

So, here's a poll we can use to examine this.

The assumptions for this poll are that you are playing in a meaningful match (tourney, league, gambling, or whatever) and your opponent is the equivalent of an APA skill level 5 or better. The ball your opponent is shooting will win the match and is a 95% or better shot.

Select the one that best represents your opinion.

After voting, feel free to discuss.

thx,
brian kc

Do you posses a link pertaining to said shot per chance kind sir???

hotrod622

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Then why play the game at all. Almost all pool games are won or lost because somebody else made a mistake. the rare exceptions are when you have a player that continuously breaks and runs out the entire set.

I am guilty of conceding and I am guilty of not conceding the last ball. Sometimes it depends on how I feel at the time. If I am playing friendly sets then I will almost always concede an easy game ball. I will never under any circumstances concede the final match ball.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
A good example of why pool will never go anywhere in the United States. I give it to him as a show of respect and accepting defeat. Even if he misses it one time in one hundred, doesn't matter to me. Pool players have zero respect for opponents here. People shark and do all kinds of things that they get mad about if someone else were to do to them.

Golfers give each other short putts all the time in Match Play. Their differences in prize money are bigger than what Shane makes in a year. That is why they have sponsors. They are clean cut. They take their hats off at the end of the round and shake hands with their opponent no matter what happened during the course of the round.

Pool players still have the image of drunks and everybody trying to hustle. There was a time when pool players made as much or more than golfers playing tournaments. Now the 125th best golfer on the PGA tour made 717k this year. What do you think the pool player 125th on the money list made?

It has nothing to do with respect. If you want my $ you're going to have to pocket every ball to get it. I ask for no concessions nor do I give them. Respect has nothing to do with it.