To Concede Or Not To Concede - That Is The Question

Given the scenario described, would you, or would you not concede the ball?

• I would concede the ball.

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • I would not concede the ball.

Votes: 126 88.7%

• Total voters

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then why play the game at all. Almost all pool games are won or lost because somebody else made a mistake. the rare exceptions are when you have a player that continuously breaks and runs out the entire set.

I am guilty of conceding and I am guilty of not conceding the last ball. Sometimes it depends on how I feel at the time. If I am playing friendly sets then I will almost always concede an easy game ball. I will never under any circumstances concede the final match ball.

I play the game for the competition and I just enjoy playing. I want to win but am fine with losing to someone who deserves to win. Obviously everybody makes mistakes over the course of a match. If it gets to hill then we played about the same and they came out on top if they are shooting a duck for the win. Good shooting and good match is all I have to say. I am not thinking "maybe He will miss this ball and I can still win!"

Say you give your opponent ball in hand on the game ball. The game ball is 3 inches from the pocket straight in. What thoughts are going through your head? What is your reason for making a pro shoot it?

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play the game for the competition and I just enjoy playing. I want to win but am fine with losing to someone who deserves to win. Obviously everybody makes mistakes over the course of a match. If it gets to hill then we played about the same and they came out on top if they are shooting a duck for the win. Good shooting and good match is all I have to say. I am not thinking "maybe He will miss this ball and I can still win!"

Say you give your opponent ball in hand on the game ball. The game ball is 3 inches from the pocket straight in. What thoughts are going through your head? What is your reason for making a pro shoot it?

If he can't make the last ball, especially an "easy" shot, then he doesn't deserve to win. The person who deserves to win is the one who makes the fewest mistakes.

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never concede a game, never know when that miscue will happen, or they are nervous about a pot, or hit a rail/edge and ball doesn't fall. Too many factors against someone making a shot to concede the game. It may only by a 5% chance they miss, but when you concede it is now 0%. Sometimes it takes a little luck your way to win a big tournament.

In other scenario, if a tournament is being streamed, they should not be allowed to concede a game or they DQ their-self from the tournament. People paying for the stream or attending the tournament paid to watch you play, not to watch you hand over a game.

I do understand though that players do this in early racks so the opponent doesn't have an opportunity to get warmed up with routine shots.

Now if it is not a tournament and not streamed, it is up to the player. Whatever they want to do.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen too many people, including my self, dog easy shots that I NEVER concede a shot.

I also think it makes the person conceding seem like kind of a quitter.

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good example of why pool will never go anywhere in the United States. I give it to him as a show of respect and accepting defeat. Even if he misses it one time in one hundred, doesn't matter to me. Pool players have zero respect for opponents here. People shark and do all kinds of things that they get mad about if someone else were to do to them.

Golfers give each other short putts all the time in Match Play. Their differences in prize money are bigger than what Shane makes in a year. That is why they have sponsors. They are clean cut. They take their hats off at the end of the round and shake hands with their opponent no matter what happened during the course of the round.

Pool players still have the image of drunks and everybody trying to hustle. There was a time when pool players made as much or more than golfers playing tournaments. Now the 125th best golfer on the PGA tour made 717k this year. What do you think the pool player 125th on the money list made?

Since when is expecting someone to do their job a sign of disrespect? If you wish to concede shots that is your business and I won't criticize it. But it doesn't show more or less respect to the recipient. And it certainly has no bearing on the popularity, or lack thereof, in golf, pool or any other sport.

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the subject - please recall the biggest "concession" EVER! Jack Nicklaus was playing in the Ryder Cup vs Tony Jacklin.. The Cup was on line and Jack conceded a 3 footer that gave the Cup to the Euros. On the last hole.

To conceding game ball -- It depends on so much. I prefer no complications. Putt out!

Not quite. Jack's concession to Tony was for a half in the match and a half was enough for the US to keep the Cup. It was the sportsmanlike thing to do as a way to show that the British (It was only the UK playing for it back then, not the Euros) had fought very hard to get close to winning.

I agree that it was one of the biggest concessions ever.

Brian in VA

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since when is expecting someone to do their job a sign of disrespect? If you wish to concede shots that is your business and I won't criticize it. But it doesn't show more or less respect to the recipient. And it certainly has no bearing on the popularity, or lack thereof, in golf, pool or any other sport.

Why is it that pool in the United States cannot get any sponsors yet players are able to in snooker and Chinese 8 ball? Those guys dress and act like professionals whereas pros here do not. It seems like more than a coincidence to me.

Golf has always been viewed as a gentleman's game. To me respect is a part of that view. You are quiet while your opponent is playing his shot. You don't walk on the line of his putt. The list goes on.

How is pool viewed?

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing pool I don't think pros should ever conceded because they're all capable of running however many balls or racks necessary to win. Some of the greatest pool ever is when someone misses and the opponent runs 150 and out.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Only when I scratch and give them bih on they are on game ball. And the game ball is not froze to a rail and more than a few inches from the pocket.

That's it normally. Doesnt' happen too often, but it does, and I want the game over so I can go kick myself in the nuts ;)

hotrod622

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is it that pool in the United States cannot get any sponsors yet players are able to in snooker and Chinese 8 ball? Those guys dress and act like professionals whereas pros here do not. It seems like more than a coincidence to me.

Golf has always been viewed as a gentleman's game. To me respect is a part of that view. You are quiet while your opponent is playing his shot. You don't walk on the line of his putt. The list goes on.

How is pool viewed?

Happy Gilmore would disrespectfully disagree. LOL

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
95% leaves too much to chance, but if there is one ball left and there isn't too much of an angle I would concede it to a professional and high-level amateurs. I like bar table pool and see pros give up big concessions. I've seen some concede four balls. I wouldn't concede more than two.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I am the idiot but I would concede the ball. If I win because he misses, I really don't feel like I won the match.

What? you always win because someone misses!!! hahahaha unless you break and run every rack. That makes no sense at all..not even a little bit.

I don't like to concede anything but admittedly I have let my emotions get the best of me and I have.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it depends on who I'm playing with and if it is a serious match.
If i'm playing with my friend for practice, I usually concede the 9 ball if he has a good shape on it. If he doesn't have a good shape on it and he has 85% chances, I make him shoot it just to increase his confidence when he makes it.

If I'm playing a tournament match and I'm not friends with my opponent, I make him shoot it, no matter how easy it is.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK so you playing someone and they are shooting good. First 3 games they have an easy shot on the 9 for the win and you concede the 9 each game. In the 4th game you have an easy shot on the nine and your opponent makes you shoot. Make it or not. How do you feel about conceding to your opponent but didint get the same respect. Your not right or wrong for conceding but it might not come back to you.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
THIS!

JoeyA

Conceding the ball is sharking. I've seen guys concede balls, then in the same match not concede balls. Same shot or easier.... They play games with it.

Plus, shit turns around so quickly. Make them shoot it, they miss, you snap a 9 ball, then a 2-9 combo, and a break in run and you are in any match.

Everyone chokes a shot here and there, you never know when it will happen, so make them shoot......

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
For me it depends on who I'm playing with and if it is a serious match.
If i'm playing with my friend for practice, I usually concede the 9 ball if he has a good shape on it. If he doesn't have a good shape on it and he has 85% chances, I make him shoot it just to increase his confidence when he makes it.

I tell people that are practising not to concede anything....
...you are there to make balls...what are you thinking?

If I'm playing a tournament match and I'm not friends with my opponent, I make him shoot it, no matter how easy it is.

I like tournaments where the rule is NO CONCESSIONS.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Never liked it, you should make all the balls and I agree that it can be sharking. Besides, I was at Steinway last Friday and watched Mika miss the ten ball at hill-hill. It looked like he rushed, can happen to anyone at any time. That was the loser's side final against Shane. Shane was up 5-1 against Jayson Shaw in the finals and miscued on an easy shot that would have put him up 6-1. It let Shaw back in the match, which he eventually won.

Last edited:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I voted would not.
I don't. I don't want my opponent to.
And I don't like when pros do it either.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think your answer is in your question. If your opponent has a 95% chance of making the shot than you will win 1 out of every 20 times this situation comes up. That's a lot better than winning 0 out of every 20 times you conceded the shot.

I'm an 'A' player and yesterday I missed the set winning 9 ball on the hill. I am 99.9% going to make this shot, but yesterday was the 1 in a 1000 miss. There was no real pressure. I just missed.

So I say, make them shot them all.