To create a great pool-related non-fiction book -- what's the topic of the book?

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Suppose you had the services of an award winning author and you wanted to work with him to create a very marketable and very readable pool-related book. What topic or topics would you choose? Would it be a biography of one the interesting characters from the world of pool? Maybe Earl, or Cornbread, or Efren? Maybe a recurring event such as the Mosconi Cup or Derby City?

Let you imagination percolate for a few minutes and then reply with what you believe could be the topic of a terrific pool-related book.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and efforts on this topic!:smile:

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read several newspaper articles about Efren Reyes and his many obstacles to overcome to become one of the greatest pool players of our generation. Very interesting reads. And I enjoy reading various stories of pool related subjects, but I'm not certain that a pool related book would be a commercial success. Very few non-players would be interested in buying such a book and probably only a few pool players would buy one. But then who'd thought that "The Hustler" or "Color of Money" would be so successful. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in your quest Pilgrim.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
kinda tough call

Suppose you had the services of an award winning author and you wanted to work with him to create a very marketable and very readable pool-related book. What topic or topics would you choose? Would it be a biography of one the interesting characters from the world of pool? Maybe Earl, or Cornbread, or Efren? Maybe a recurring event such as the Mosconi Cup or Derby City?

Let you imagination percolate for a few minutes and then reply with what you believe could be the topic of a terrific pool-related book.

A slightly fictionalized version of the things happening at one venue seems very tempting. On the other hand a "the last cattle drive" story about one of the last or few surviving road players is really tempting too. One thing we both know, to sell volume the story really has to be about a person or people. I never read the book but The Hustler movie would have been as strong about almost any sport or game.

Oh yeah, the book I really want to read is the UJ Puckett life (and afterlife) story. UJ fascinates me and I'm not even sure why. He reminds me of somebody or something. Don't think we have ever met but seems like I know him.

Good luck in your efforts!

Hu

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is an idea

The Quest for Olympic Gold

In a semi-fictional book about pool, billiards, and snooker the tension would be between three groups and their attempts to have the billiards games accepted in to the Olympics. The cast of characters would include the men and women players who pursue their passions, fame and the money that Olympic recognition would bring. The characters bring their individual passions to the problem but the influence (with flash backs) from their mentors and past tournaments that lead to the individual and group tensions would be historical accounts.

By the way, nothing says they get their respective ideas into the Olympics. It could simply be an Irish loves story with death and destruction to all parties.

If you like it, please feel free to use any part of the idea with no restrictions.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Geometry and physics!

The general public loves geometry and physics. It would be a real page-turner.

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a behind-the-scenes book about the history of the Mosconi Cup would be really interesting...

How the players are selected, the different changes the format has had over the years, Matchroom's involvement...

As for player biographies, there is one that stands head and shoulders above the rest... And this is really something for JAM to do or be directly involved in...

Keith McCready...

I will guarantee that a biography of Keith that is done right and professionally will sell better and bring more attention to pool than almost any other book has...

But again, JAM has talked about doing this and it really is her project...

And to second a vote from a previous poster, a biography about UJ Puckett would be tremendous... Especially in an oral history format where various people who knew and played UJ are interviewed...

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I think a behind-the-scenes book about the history of the Mosconi Cup would be really interesting...

How the players are selected, the different changes the format has had over the years, Matchroom's involvement...

As for player biographies, there is one that stands head and shoulders above the rest... And this is really something for JAM to do or be directly involved in...

Keith McCready...

I will guarantee that a biography of Keith that is done right and professionally will sell better and bring more attention to pool than almost any other book has...

But again, JAM has talked about doing this and it really is her project...

And to second a vote from a previous poster, a biography about UJ Puckett would be tremendous... Especially in an oral history format where various people who knew and played UJ are interviewed...

I agree about Keith, His story will be amazing. He did more in the world of pool before he was 20 than most will ever accomplish in their life.

I always thought it would be a neat idea to get 4 players from the same era who were road players that eventually turned pro, write one book that has accounts of each of their histories and how they intertwined. One chapter dedicated to one person and going back and forth throughout the book. EX; Chapter 1 The beginnings of Earl the Pearl. Chapter 2 The beginnings of The Rifleman, and so on.

As the book goes on it would talk of how they eventually payed each other and their own perspectives of how it happened and turned out.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Suppose you had the services of an award winning author and you wanted to work with him to create a very marketable and very readable pool-related book. What topic or topics would you choose?

Aiming Systems. LD Shafts. Fast Larry.

Freddie <~~~ in no particular order

or1pkt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a book on the derby starting from day one til now would be the way to go...high lighting it with action stories, antics and pics organized by year would be the way to organize it IMO. Have Greg Sullivan reveal some of the crazy things that were reported in the exec west days to add some action and plot to it.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how about...

in 1986 I was seated in a small pool room watching a straight pool tournament. I couldn't help but notice this young 19 year old move effortlessly around a table. Intense,yet comfortable. I had not seen this type of demeanor for many years. He was at that moment,intriguing. I wanted to gaze around the room to see what others were doing,but I could not take my eyes away that I might miss a spectacular shot. All you could hear were clicks and snaps. The clicking of the cue ball with the appreciative snaps of the audience.

Somewhere in between there must have been the kerplunk of the balls in the pockets. However,the pocketing occured at such a rhythm,it was lost in the white noise of the mind. I can remember,as if it were yesterday. 40,50,80,100,the match was over,"keep going!" the crowd lauded, and the youngster continued. In the 120's a little off line,...finesse,and the run begins anew. In the 160's to 180's,smooth sailing until the cue ball managed to have just enough of an angle to bring the run to an end. 192 Ball run. The crowd applauds and everyone rushes to congratulate the young gladiator.

A while later,as the crowd thins, I take a moment to go speak with the new champion. I give him my commentary and applaud him for his accomplishment. I tell him that I haven't seen such a "pure" straight pool shooter since a young Steve Mizerak. He is quite humble concerning his comparison to the Legend.

It was then that I told him,"You have to go to America! You must go and measure yourself against the Best in order to become the Best. I believe you have the talent to become the World Champion of Straight Pool. I believe you can beat them all."

I'll never forget the look in Oliver Ortmann's eyes when I said that.

And the rest,we know is,...

the Machine!

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
10 days at the DCC. Old and new locations.

NO player profiles, please. Facts get distorted all too often.

Vegas in the summer and the amateur LEAGUE championships.
500,000 weekly pool players can't be overlooked.
You could do a book just on Team names.

Pictures of pool halls and players from all over the world and from days gone by. A coffee table curio book.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think non pool players dont want to read about pool, so I might not even mention pool in the title. For example, "Million Dollar Baby" doesnt tell you its a boxing movie, and its not really about boxing, its about people and character. So along those lines.....

"based on" a true story, but you probably want to massage the facts a little to make a better story.

Coming out of utter poverty in Manilla is a good story (everyone loves an underdog).....Maybe a story of how two totally different people, from different walks of like and different parts of the world, come to cross paths and pool is what they have in common.

Maybe a sad story, about the old guy who cant play anymore and has made terrible decisions in his life and has no friends left, but his life has a good message for someone.... To be honest, you could write an interesting book about Ms. Harpo. Title : A female in a mans world.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member

Name of the book: " Calling 2200 "

Overview: Book is a coffee-table time capsule, meant to be enjoyed by the current generation, while also being saved for future generations.

The format of the book is very simple; its not written by one person in particular, but instead is a collection of personal pool stories written by famous and infamous players alike. The more the better.

The idea is to create a glimpse back in time, of the billiard and pool culture of 2012. So that when the year 2200 arrives, we'll have created a priceless archive of pool stories that can't be found anywhere else.

Imagine what it would be like if today we could read Hoppe's (untold)stories and Greenleaf's, and Mosconi's, and Ponzi's, and Cornbread's, and Mizerak's AND...just common joes from off the street. What a unique glimpse into the minds of the players it would be.

(could even include pics of poolrooms, that will probably be extinct in 2200)

goldcrown4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Mr. Bond's idea is the best one yet. Interviewing all the greats that are still alive, that played against all the greats that are no longer with us to get those stories too. (My thought was a behind the scenes in-depth "investigation" of sorts behind the rise and fall of the IPT, all the promised money and glitz ... heck, aren't there some players still owed money from that??? I haven't followed IPT for some time so I could be barking up the 'ignorant tree' and hereby apologize if that is the case.)

Name of the book: " Calling 2200 "

Overview: Book is a coffee-table time capsule, meant to be enjoyed by the current generation, while also being saved for future generations.

The format of the book is very simple; its not written by one person in particular, but instead is a collection of personal pool stories written by famous and infamous players alike. The more the better.

The idea is to create a glimpse back in time, of the billiard and pool culture of 2012. So that when the year 2200 arrives, we'll have created a priceless archive of pool stories that can't be found anywhere else.

Imagine what it would be like if today we could read Hoppe's (untold)stories and Greenleaf's, and Mosconi's, and Ponzi's, and Cornbread's, and Mizerak's AND...just common joes from off the street. What a unique glimpse into the minds of the players it would be.

(could even include pics of poolrooms, that will probably be extinct in 2200)

boti2634

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack Cooney

What about a biographical account of his "life and times"? I would think it would make for an interesting read.

- Paul

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, I AM impressed!

I am very impressed with the excellent ideas already put forth in this thread. And I want to assure you that an excellent writer (not me!) will be looking at your posts and may develop one or more of the ideas into a book. Knowing the writer as I do, I am confident that he would give you credit by name if your suggestion ends up being the idea upon which a book or magazine article is based.

I definitely agree with Keith McCready and U.J. Puckett as characters worthy of a biography. As was mentioned, JAM has been working on a book about Keith for several years. I don't think Efren's story has been fully explored in book form yet. And there is always Earl.

The story of the Derby (or the Mosconi Cup) from its origins to the present day is also very appealing.

And then there is Fred's outstanding suggestion: "Aiming Systems. LD Shafts. Fast Larry." Can't miss with these topics. :boring2::boring2:

Tom, I like your idea of a "coffee table" book that would contain pics of pool halls and players from days gone by. It could include stories and interviews as well.

I haven't mentioned every post, but I have certainly read them all and appreciate your responses. After a few more posts are made, I'll send a link to the writer and we'll see what he thinks about the ideas that have been presented.

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing other than set up stroke. It truly is amazing how big a difference those 2 things make and how much detail that goes into it. Many people (including me till recently) complain about missing and the blame it on aiming when actualy it is something wrong with their stroke. In most cases detailed book on just these 2 subjects would be more helpful than anything else.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1.Keith

2.Billy

3.Robin

I'll prepay for biography of any of these characters.

Or how about the hustler scene in L.A. during the 60's and 70's?