to hell with call shots...anyone else gone back to "slop" and loving it?

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just so much faster, smoother, and fun, for almost all games

used to hate slop rules, now not so much

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Blasphemer... unclean... get thee behind me.

Just play One Pocket.. you never have to call a pocket...ever.

Friar Lesh
Brotherhood of the Gaping Wound

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're right. Why keep pool a game of skill? It's no fun being skillful. However I find the better I play, the luckier I get.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I also play slop and love it! I almost never miss.

Attachments

• lotto-pool-table.jpg
    lotto-pool-table.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 933

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Everybody has to slop in every ball.

In 9ball you have to ride the nine on every shot.

One pocket and straight pool, you must use a break cue, no soft breaks

That's how pool is supposed to be played

:smile:

Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than straight pool breaks, I can count on one hand the number of times a month not having to call a pocket would make any difference at all. Once you progress beyond "banger" status, how many balls are you really missing so badly and shooting so hard that they end up in random pockets?

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are a wise man.

Call nothing. No other sport on the planet does. Don't call the 8-ball either. Makes our short games more fun and more skilled.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just so much faster, smoother, and fun, for almost all games

used to hate slop rules, now not so much

As expected, you got quite a few smart-ass comments, some clever, some just down right stupid.

The fact One Pocket does not require calling shots has already been noted.

But consider - pool players and fans lust after the money, status, and popularity of Snooker.

In Snooker, you NEVER have to call a shot.

Dale

TwinkleToes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the things that drives me nuts about pool, is that there is already so much luck involved.

That is why I prefer 10 ball much more than 9 ball. Yes...1 pocket has less luck but I do enjoy rotation games...because it is fun to move the ball around the table...for me anyway.

How can a competitive person enjoy playing a game in which slops are allowed, more than a game in which slops are not allowed?

I just don't get it!

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of the things that drives me nuts about pool, is that there is already so much luck involved.

That is why I prefer 10 ball much more than 9 ball. Yes...1 pocket has less luck but I do enjoy rotation games...because it is fun to move the ball around the table...for me anyway.

How can a competitive person enjoy playing a game in which slops are allowed, more than a game in which slops are not allowed?

I just don't get it!

Once again. the better I am playing the luckier (better rolls) I get. Why do think that is that better players are luckier? The guys that want to play for slop just whine and whine.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

I just don't get it!

You have obviously never slopped in 9 balls in a row, to win a hill-hill game in a set of 9ball.
Some people might call that luck, but it takes a lot of skill to get that lucky.
I also won 7 out of 8 sets one night, ramming the 9 on every shot, and there was more money won on side bets the I won myself.
Money can't buy that kind of entertainment, and years later people are still talking about it.

:smile: