To spin or not to spin?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, I wasn't talking about what shots are easier to play shape for, so if that's what he was saying then I don't disagree. Obviously sometimes shooting with english is preferable to shooting with center ball, and there are also shots I think that are easier to pocket and play shape off of with english than with center ball.

When he said, "Center ball is not easier," I thought his claim was that, in general, shooting a shot with center ball is not easier than shooting a shot with english, and I think there are clear counterexamples to that claim.

I think we (you, I, and SP_99 are aligned), as his 2nd and 6th or sentence in that paragraph address the there are times that centerball is easier, and that position play for (vertical) center is more difficult throughout a rack.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that Straightpool_99's post was fine, and that the bullet on center ball addresses the notion that poster's say that playing shape to use vertical center is easier (for any rack of a game, not just one specific shot in the rack).

At some point in the rack (and 50-80% is a range bandied about), one is going to find that shooting position for a shot that would normally be shot with english not only is easier, but absolutely standard. Every shot can't be played for a center follow or draw. That's just impossibly difficulty to even try compared to playing for an angle and using (as an example) the clock system to get the whatever line.

Freddie

And who, besides you and a few others that advocate spin on almost every shot, have said that one should always play with no english? No one has said that, so why even make up that strawman argument and then rally against it?

As far as not using english being harder, that is only true for those that don't know how to use center axis combined with speed to control the cb. There is a youtube video out there with a guy doing the wagon wheel drill with no english. The caveat is, he doesn't take ball in hand on each shot, but instead shoots each shot with the cb in the same place. Only adjusting speed and height of hit on the vertical axis to put the cb to each of the ten locations after making the shot.

Try watching the Chinese and Taiwan players coming up. They tend to stay closer to center line than their American counterparts do. Don't see where they are having such a hard time doing so either.

As far as Straightpool 99's post, there is much wrong with it. So much that it isn't even worth going into it all because from what I have seen lately on here, people don't want to learn anymore. All they want to do is argue their opinions. And, if need be, they will add in a bunch of words that others never even said and then argue against those.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
And who, besides you and a few others that advocate spin on almost every shot, have said that one should always play with no english? No one has said that, so why even make up that strawman argument and then rally against it?

As far as not using english being harder, that is only true for those that don't know how to use center axis combined with speed to control the cb. There is a youtube video out there with a guy doing the wagon wheel drill with no english. The caveat is, he doesn't take ball in hand on each shot, but instead shoots each shot with the cb in the same place. Only adjusting speed and height of hit on the vertical axis to put the cb to each of the ten locations after making the shot.

Try watching the Chinese and Taiwan players coming up. They tend to stay closer to center line than their American counterparts do. Don't see where they are having such a hard time doing so either.

As far as Straightpool 99's post, there is much wrong with it. So much that it isn't even worth going into it all because from what I have seen lately on here, people don't want to learn anymore. All they want to do is argue their opinions. And, if need be, they will add in a bunch of words that others never even said and then argue against those.
Just quit fighting phantoms. You're as bad as the rest. You acuse me of exactly why you do on this subject over and over.

You clearly havent watched the Taiwanese closely either. Why argue using theories when reality trumps it? Everyone knows I watch them live.

Or keep going on going on. Watching in person however does wonders. Try it some time instead trying to tell us all what they do. You wouldn't be the first to change their mind after actually watching live.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Really. Are you watching what they are doing? I'm going to let you in on a secret: What they are doing is INCREDIBLY difficult!! Never in a million years would I tell an amateur to play like they do. Look at this, for example:
https://youtu.be/4REAkQMBQwQ?t=333

The margins of error on this kind of playing style are extremely small. Only someone fantastically gifted could pull these kinds of things off consistently. He wouldn't be in that situation to begin with, had he not shot the ball previous with center ball. Also he had easier options, when he did end up where he did. Ask an amateur to replicate that shot. Bet you he won't get it more than MAYBE 1/10. Both the speed and direction have to be absolutely dead nuts perfect when you go straight up and down the table like the Taiwanese do. If you can do it, that's great. If, on the other hand, you are an ordinary amateur with limited time for practice, I suggest you give yourself a little more margin for error.

not 1 tip of english on this ball:
https://youtu.be/4REAkQMBQwQ?t=1227

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Really. Are you watching what they are doing? I'm going to let you in on a secret: What they are doing is INCREDIBLY difficult!! Never in a million years would I tell an amateur to play like they do. Look at this, for example:

The margins of error on this kind of playing style are extremely small. Only someone fantastically gifted could pull these kinds of things off consistently. He wouldn't be in that situation to begin with, had he not shot the ball previous with center ball. Also he had easier options, when he did end up where he did. Ask an amateur to replicate that shot. Bet you he won't get it more than MAYBE 1/10. Both the speed and direction have to be absolutely dead nuts perfect when you go straight up and down the table like the Taiwanese do. If you can do it, that's great. If, on the other hand, you are an ordinary amateur with limited time for practice, I suggest you give yourself a little more margin for error.

Incredibly difficult? No, not at all, that is, unless you never use center axis and aren't familiar with it much.

As to the second video- so, he used more than a tip of english. Is that supposed to prove some kind of point or something? Remember, you and a few others are the ones saying that staying close to center means never going past close to center.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use it, or lose it....

There is no reason to argue, one way or the other, regarding the use of english (spin)..excessive, or otherwise!..It is an accepted fact, almost all top players (Strickland, Alex, Archer, SVB, etc) claim to use some spin on almost every shot!..This obviously makes them better equipped, to use whatever spin may be required, for any given situation!

Those who are convinced center ball should be the preferred method, will never obtain their maximum potential as a player!..While its good to become familiar with it, very few shots will call for center ball (or stun) contact with the cue ball..The sooner in their learning process that is realized, the further a player can progress!..

On second thought, I guess I am arguing...I do not believe for a minute, as some of you are implying..that any accomplished player, (Asian, Euru, Filipino, or whatever) achieved their top status, by using center ball logic! :cool:

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You know I like a lot of your posts, but this one does not prove your point.

It wasn't his amazing skill that got him perfect on the 5, it was luck. Hence why he raised his hand in apology towards his opponent. He was probably more focused on making the shot than getting shape, but knew the cueball would be headed towards the next ball just in case. So even if he didn't get shape, he would more than likely have an easy safety with all of the blockers around.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
You know I like a lot of your posts, but this one does not prove your point.

It wasn't his amazing skill that got him perfect on the 5, it was luck. Hence why he raised his hand in apology towards his opponent. He was probably more focused on making the shot than getting shape, but knew the cueball would be headed towards the next ball just in case. So even if he didn't get shape, he would more than likely have an easy safety with all of the blockers around.

I think he had better options. Also he routinely plays the ball up and down the centerline of the table. This is the style they play, which is completely opposite of what Europeans, Americans and Pinoys play (They tend to move diagonally). He was lucky, but I believe his choice was deliberate, based on how he plays. He may have intended to land on the other side of the ball, though.

Not all of my posts are good. I'm aware of that. I tried to remember one instance where their play was somewhat haphazard. This was the one I could remember off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
damn, now you people make sJD arguing. This must be important stuff...
But surely we can agree that we wouldn't use Center ball anymore than left any more than right or high anymore than low or left... Or right.

It is in the Arsenal and it is called upon and it is used...Yes all of thems it

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
damn, now you people make sJD arguing. This must be important stuff...
But surely we can agree that we wouldn't use Center ball anymore than left any more than right or high anymore than low or left... Or right.

It is in the Arsenal and it is called upon and it is used...Yes all of thems it

Assuming "they" agree and aren't fearful of teaching or applying English, at what point should someone start to introduce English into their game?

For me, I won't do wishy wash mincy lameass words. I think as soon as they can make balls, they should incorporate English. They'll sink or swim, but they can't become good if they can't swim. With help, many of us can help them swim. I ain't down with the "scared of all the variable" hogwash.

Freddie <~~~ no frickin waffles

PoolChump

Banned
Spin to WIN

Assuming "they" agree and aren't fearful of teaching or applying English, at what point should someone start to introduce English into their game?

For me, I won't do wishy wash mincy lameass words. I think as soon as they can make balls, they should incorporate English. They'll sink or swim, but they can't become good if they can't swim. With help, many of us can help them swim. I ain't down with the "scared of all the variable" hogwash.

Freddie <~~~ no frickin waffles

Spin to win!

deal_with_it_owl.gif

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he had better options. Also he routinely plays the ball up and down the centerline of the table. This is the style they play, which is completely opposite of what Europeans, Americans and Pinoys play (They tend to move diagonally). He was lucky, but I believe his choice was deliberate, based on how he plays. He may have intended to land on the other side of the ball, though.

Not all of my posts are good. I'm aware of that. I tried to remember one instance where their play was somewhat haphazard. This was the one I could remember off the top of my head.

I agree that he got a little lucky on the shot to the 5 ball. That said, set it up and shoot it 10 times your way, and then 10 times the way he shot it. See which way you have better success at. I believe you will learn a little something about why he shot it the way he did in your ten attempts. Something I don't think you realize yet.